“Good value for a budget concious person”

TownePlace Suites Wilmington Newark/Christiana
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My friend and I were invited to a party in the DE/MD boarder and we needed a place to crash on a Saturday night. I have been a fan of the Marriott brand and decided that we should stay here. We picked up a travel coupon book and used the coupon (walk-in only) to check in. The coupon states that if there is availability, then a room with a queen size bed would cost $75 ($81 after tax). We got the room. There is a Bob Evan's right next to the property and so we had a nice snack there. The property itself is well-maintained and clean, but there are a few things that were not really optimal. First, our room smells like the food the previous occupant cooked -- you can smell the spice. Given that fact that we won't spend enough time in the room we did not really make a complaint. The bathroom was clean and nice. The front desk was very courteous, professional and friendly. Internet was okay. However, the breakfast turned out not to be so nice. The scrambled eggs look like they were cooked from powder (I am not that picky on food but my friend refused to eat it). Three hot items were served -- eggs, cornbeef with potatoes (salty) and oatmeal -- along with some pastries and yogurt. Given the size of the hotel, one would expect the dinning room to have enough space to accommodate the guests, but sadly there were only 3-4 tables. For $81 dollar, I think I got what I paid for and therefore, I gave a fair review. However, if you want a nicer experience and are on a vacation without too much budget constraint, I suggest staying in a Residence Inn. I still would stay in a TownPlace Suites property in the future, but it truly depends on the situation. BTW, the place is right next to I-95. You can connect to it in 2 minutes. That is a big plus!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank BHUANG69

Reviewed May 13, 2013

The hotel is very convenient to I95, easy on and off. The room was spacious enough, reasonably clean and bed was comfortable. There was an odor in the refrigerator.
They do take pets but be aware that they charge $100 which makes it a very expensive to place stay. Next time we are passing through on our south to north trip, we will look for something better.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night at the beginning of May. We booked a one room King Suite. When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted very warmly by the front desk person. She processed us very quickly and we got a room on the 4th floor. When we opened the door to the room we were surprised how nice the room was! It had one king bed and was very clean ,and had TWO bathrooms and being next to a busy Interstate we were concerned that it might be noisy at night, however we did not hear any traffic or noise, and the room was very quiet! We would stay here again if we come back to Newark, as the place is clean, new and the breakfast is adequate with your standard American waffle maker, and other items. Another bonus is the location of this hotel. It is just a short few minutes drive to Christiana Mall and many other stores which make Delaware famous for its tax free shopping. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: if you don't like the breakfast there is a Bob Evans 30 feet in front of the hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ted D
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We have stayed several times at this property traveling north. It has great access to I-95
as you drive out of the hotel the
ramp is there to the right. The hotel is clean and
comfortable as it is a mini-suite set-up. Great for relaxing after a long drive and there are
delivery restaurants in the area. The staff are friendly and the morning breakfast is adequate.

Room Tip: When approaching the hotel be careful not to pull into the exit for the Mall go to next exit Eagle R...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

- Don't no why - but I decided to stay @ TownePlace Suites ( Marriott) down on Eagle Run off of Route 273 in Newark south of I 95. it is there by itself. it was a great room - kitchen , nice work area, great free breakfast - not very crowded at all - suprised - it is hidden away and not the easiest place to find. I have stayed at the other Marriott properties in the area - Courtyard, Fairfield, Residence Inn - TownePlace has become my new favorite - price + amenities

Room Tip: Away fro I 95 might be quieter - but I didn't have a problem at all - staff was very helpful and...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank sweetwaterde
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Two days after Hurricane Sandy, I drove from Jacksonville, FL and booked the last room at a Marriott within a 50 mile radius of Newark, DE.

I arrived just before midnight, had a very quick check-in and got to my room. As others have stated, there is a kitchenette right in the room and for $179/tax, except for the flat screen TV, it looked like a cheap motel from the 70s.

The last people to stay in our room had obviously done some extensive cooking with very distinctive spices and the odor hit us like a wall as soon as we entered the room (my husband has no sense of smell and he noticed it immediately).

It was late, we had driven all day and the hotel was completely sold out, so there was nothing we could do about it.

The second we woke up, the smell was so pervasive, that within 20 minutes of waking up, we had to check out because we were nauseous.

We told the front desk clerk, who was very nice and responsive and assured me the general manager would be notified. He also explained that some people stay for extended periods and do cook there. While I understand that, I should not have to be subjected to those smells... a smoking room would have been more tolerable.

The general manager has not contacted me, so I'm now going to write to Marriott, because 6 hours to stay in a gross room for the price I paid (and the fact they would not accept AAA or my Marriott points) is completely unacceptable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was in this hotel for 12 days with no complains....everything was perfect....excellent service....only thing was a small humidity smell in room....i bought air refreshner and solved the problem.....

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business