“Your problem, not Mine”

Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Charleston, South Carolina
“Your problem, not Mine”
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I travel frequently for work and I typically swear by the Marriott brand; however, my advice is to never stay at the TownPlace Suites in Newark, DE...ever. If nothing goes wrong while you are staying at the hotel, consider yourself lucky. But if something does go wrong, do not expect that anything will be done to resolve the situation.

If you experience an issue with the refridgerator/freezer maintaining acceptable temperature, expect to be told that no one is available to fix it and to figure it out yourself. Also, if your food goes bad or melts and the hotel offers to give you a credit for the items, expect that to be held against you and thrown in your face in the future.

If you experience an issue with items going missing from your hotel room and you contact the general manager, Susan Muzzi, expect to be completely dismissed and called a liar. A brand new container of salon conditioner went missing from my room (value of $31) and I contacted Susan for assistance. I did not accuse the specific maid that had been cleaning my room of theft - I stated the facts that my personal property was no longer in the hotel room. I was ultimately told that it was my problem and that no compensation would be provided. Also I was told that the woman cleaning my room was an African-American and that she wouldn't use this sort of product on her hair.

Odd.

Also, if you're an arachnephobe - do not stay here. In the course of two weeks there were several little creepy crawlers that snuck in the room. No reason to complain over pest control unless you can show proof of a carcass.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank belleza83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Wisconsin
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Stayed for 5 nights. Clean, roomy, comfortable room. Stove top, microwave, dishwasher and full size fridge. Standard hot breakfast with powdered eggs, mystery sausage. Same offering every day. Good location with plenty of restaurants nearby. Only gripe is the exercise room which is like a closet. One tread mill, one elliptical, one bike, narrow and claustrophobic. Got a great rate (sub $100) through the company I was visiting. I heard a walkin get a quote of $130/night. There is no way I would pay that much for it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank hwkrdrvr
Traveling the Country
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Our room was large and very clean. I really liked the fact that the room was "freshened" everyday. New towels, empty garbage, straightened bed. Breakfast was nice with scrambled eggs & bacon/sausage, along with the usual bagels & cereal fare.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank bfox7412
eastern US
Reviewed December 5, 2010

I stayed at this TPS in December 2010. The staff was helpful, and parking and internet are free. It's next to a Bob Evans restaurant and some small malls, and is located just off the freeway. They recognized my elite status with Marriott, which was nice, and there was decent hot breakfast in the morning. There is a very small fitness room, but I couldn't use it because there was somebody else in there, and he was having trouble getting the treadmill to work.

The room I received was large, but even with the new flat-panel TVs, it was outdated. The furniture and fixtures were low budget and old. The bathroom sink and shower were also old. Although my room was reasonably spacious, there wasn't a good work area. But probably my biggest complaint was that I couldn't get hardly any hot water out of the sink or the shower, and I had to rush through my shower so that I wouldn't start shivering.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank va_trailrunner
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed December 3, 2010

I was very disappointed by the condition of this TownePlace. The room and overall condition of the property needs to be updated. The bed and flooring in the room needs to be replaced as does the some of the furniture. The condition of the bed was poor enough that we did not get a good nights sleep. I could not believe that this was a Marriott property. The rooms are not worth $100 per night in their current condition, maybe $50-$60. The room was quiet and clean but that is about the only postive things I can say. I would suggest another hotel until until it is updated.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Glen Allen, Virginia
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I saw it had been awhile since someone had reviwed this hotel; wanted to confirm it is still a very nice hotel and an excellent value. Unlike most TownPlace Suites which have a very skimpy "grab and go" breakfast (apple and cereal to take back to your room) this one has a very adequate continental breakfast with even a couple of hot items. Yes the desk is small, but the room has nice flat screen TV's, and an important item to me is it is masonary construction IE: Concrete floor construction rather than wood frame so you have much less noise from the room above you. Real friendly greeting and service. Look for coupons in the Room Saver discount guides to pick up at the Interstate welcome centers.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank 30-StateTraveler
Nova Scotia
Reviewed October 20, 2009

This is a very nice, clean hotel. We enjoyed having a suite (it spoiled us for subsequent motel rooms). We were there on a weekend and got a "coupon" rate which made for very, very good value. Sorry we couldn't stay there longer but had miles to travel before we could rest.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple