“Tried it again”

Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Bath,Maine
“Tried it again”
Reviewed August 18, 2009

We tried this hotel again (during summer months) because it was convenient and cheep. The front desk staff were nice. The room was pretty good for less than 50 bucks a night. There were people in and out of rooms but no one too sketchy. Not a bad stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 13, 2009

So, as many of us Red Roof fans know, the great promise of "Redesigned & Rededicated" -- Red Roof's marketing slogan for its renovated properties, which it no longer uses on its website -- has been a somewhat spotty success. Some locations -- yes, great! Others, not so much -- those are the ones where they take a less than great room and just slap on some paint, add new bedding and the legendary work desk, and say it's been redone when it's obvious that there wasn't enough renovation put into it. (For an example of this, see my other new review for the Richmond South, Virginia location.)

That all said, the Wilmington, DE location is quite good. Although the rooms aren't the cream of the new crop of the redesigns, they are significantly better than your standard. They feel clean, and are more than satisfactory. The bed was comfortable (and bedbug free!). Bathroom is standard, clean, fine.

Unlike what another reviewer wrote on TripAdvisor (or possibly another site), the "dark, windy road" to get to the Inn is not quite the scary drive they characterized it as (it's quite simple, actually, and follows the main road) -- but what this does tell is that the Inn is set amongst tall trees so if you're on the right side of the building it does have a nice, quiet, woodsy feel to it. Indeed, the other side faces towards the I-95, but you can't hear it in the room.

I had two different experiences with the front desk folks. Check-in -- the fellow did not seem too pleased to see me, not very welcoming -- and I do admit, I got there very late at 5am, but that's no excuse. In the morning, a complete 180 degrees: the nice young woman at the front desk, and the gentleman, who appeared to be the location's manager (or asst. manager?) were FANTASTIC! They were extremely professional, polite, friendly, courteous. I had my dog with me and they were so nice to her (not a requirement for hotel staff, but nice to see).

And, speaking of the 5am arrival (long story), it was great that this location has a checkout time of noon, rather than the usual 11am, and that was a huge help.

Also, they have that wonderful coffee machine that makes cappuccino, latte, regular coffee, etc. There was no need for Starbucks that morning (at least for me, folks).

So, overall, I would highly recommend this location, as so many others here have.

RED ROOF Corporate, take note: in my checking out the reviews of all the Red Roofs going up the I-95 from North Carolina to Washington, DC, the Wilmington one seems to be the only one that has gotten great reviews. Red Roof had a great thing going with Redesigned & Rededicated, but they had better get off their tails and get cracking and improve more of their locations across the board, because I can see from all the advertising that La Quinta is starting to gain some ground in the "renovation" biz!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Woodbury, Connecticut
Reviewed January 23, 2009

We stayed here three nights. There were a couple of minor glitches (a mistake concerning our room rate at time of reservation, and the door lock broke), but what impressed us was the friendliness and courtesy of the staff. Both problems were resolved quickly and cheerfully and completely to our satisfaction. The room was clean, the shower excellent (I love good water pressure), and the beds very comfortable. We were also impressed with how quiet it was. The hotel was completely full as we were all there on our way to the Inauguration down in D.C., but there was no noise at night at all. Our only complaint (but we did not ask about it as it wasn't bad enough) was that the room got a bit hot at night. This is an excellent value for the price and in a great location in terms of proximity to lots of restaurants, a nice shopping mall, and easy access to the highway.

• Stayed January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kppr
Rogersville, TN
Reviewed July 22, 2008

ok for an overnight stay. was hard to find. room was clean but the smell of Lysol spray was overpowering. limited television channels. bed and pillows comfortable but bathroom so tiny you could barely turn around. staff courteous.

• Liked — low rates, cleanliness
  • Disliked — location, no breakfast, few tv channels
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank tjhandyman
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed June 19, 2008

I've recently stayed away from Red Roof locations because of some disappointments compared with other chain motels but decided to try this old stand-by, but with the Large King Bed room.
We found this room to be very comfortable with a mini fridge not usually found in a Red Roof.
We requested and got a top floor quiet room - the room was well maintained and the large bed was very comfortable.
On the negative side, there wasn't a coffee maker in the room, only the machine in the lobby and there was no breakfast like most other comparable chain motels. That's the primary reason we rarely stay in Red Roof anymore.
All in all, we recommend this Red Roof in the Large King Bed room.

• Liked — Large room, comfortable bed, quiet location
  • Disliked — No breakfast, no in-room coffee maker
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank D.W.Melvin-2004
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed November 28, 2007

I chose the "Wilmington" (DE) Red Roof Inn in Newark (grr) when I went to Wilmington to visit my boyfriend because of their pet policy. I was taking his dog with me and wanted a place that wasn't going to charge me a ton to stay with a pet. Their policy is cool, one pet, no deposit, just a waiver. The room was TINY. I'm a little person, but the King Sized bed took over the pint sized room and there was barely a path to the bathroom. I can stay in a crappy room though. Given that and the fact that their wireless they advertised wasn't accessible without some $10/ day purchase, their cable had about 15 channels total, it was hard to believe they'd revamped the whole place as the website suggested.

I can get past all of that. I even chose to stay there an extra day than I'd reserved, because I had the next day off work and wanted to extend my time with my bf. The next morning we got up, he took his dog outside for a bathroom break and discovered that his window had been busted out of his car and his TomTom navigation thing and his nice digital camera were stolen. Thankfully the thieves left his and my laptops in their bags in the back seat, covered in window glass. We called the police and talked to the Hotel Manager. They both said that this parking lot is often hit with crimes like this. The officer talked about staking out that very parkinglot for stings etc. and who might have been involved... gypsies, teens from West Chester PA, what ever... Comprehensive car insurance didn't cover the theft, and my bf was out his $500 deductible. The hotel doesn't cover stolen items either, and the manager informed us that they're only legally required to have surveillance in the lobby not in the parking lot, even though things are often stolen in their parking lot. He's just out that stuff. Just today he got a call from the VP there who says that since it is posted on the hotel room doors on the back of the door that your stuff is not covered or guaranteed safe that they weren't going to do anything for him... not even reimburse the money he spent to stay there and be a sitting duck for these thieves. Yeah there was a sign, but you have to register and get into your room before you see it.

I'll never return and would like to remind everyone that they too could wake up to this scenario. We're out $1400 in stolen goods and the deductible for the window, and to think, we paid to be sitting ducks in this high crime parking lot.

• Liked — Pet Friendly
  • Disliked — Lack of Security!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
RedRoof190, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Wilmington, responded to this review, March 3, 2010
Our hotel is not situated in a high crime area. Both police and management worked with this customer to address his concerns. Our Hotel features safes in all of our Guest rooms to secure your valuables. We do not recommend leaving any valuables in your vehicle for individuals to take advantage of, visibly or otherwise. Hotel management and staff work with local law enforcement regularly to prevent threats and provide security for all of our Guests and parking areas.
Portland, Maine
Reviewed August 30, 2007

I've often stayed with Red Roof, and I've always been pleased, but this Red Roof Inn is exceptional. The property is extremely clean, the bushes and shrubs are very attractive, and the rooms are immaculate. Coming off Interstate 95, the Red Roof is a bit tricky to find, but it's well worth the effort once you DO find it. What's most important to me while travelling is the friendliness of the staff. I stayed here twice on my trip, and both times ELISE waited on me. She couldn't have been sweeter! She treats all of her guests as if they were royalty! Red Roof Inns are very lucky to have this employee. The Christiana Mall area has quite a few hotels within a close proximity to one another, but for the value, and for the friendliness alone, THIS Red Roof Inn IS A GEM!

• Liked — The clerk at the front desk - so friendly and kind to all of the guests
  • Disliked — The property is tricky to find off Interstate 95, especially at night - they need better signs to direct you in
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends