“Excellent Chinese food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Seating
PA
“Excellent Chinese food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

I did not think of writing a review until I stumbled upon the one previous to mine as I tried out my new iPad and saw that I could search for restaurants near me. My family and I have been going to the Golden Palace for about 20 years. We have never been disappointed. We were a little worried when they changed hands a few years back but have found that the new family running it does so with the same code of always doing their best and their best is absolutely delicious, fresh food, first class service and friendly, helpful people. It seems to be run by one family and many times their little girl, about 5, is sitting quietly at a table coloring or otherwise amusing herself. She even brought over to our table a little gift of a wall calendar when we were there close to the new year. You never have to worry about reservations as their business is mostly take out, which also is top notch quality food. This is our go-to Chinese restaurant every time!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Colleen19

Newark, Delaware
“An overlooked little Gem right in the heart of it all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

I've lived around the corner from this place for over 4 years. We generally do the delivery thing so we never tried this place before as they do not deliver.

Well, the other day on my way home, I stopped in and placed an order. The staff was friendly and attentive. My order was prepared quickly. The prices were about 15% higher than the average just ok Chinese restaurant.

That being the case, I expected better than average food. I was not disappointed. The food tasted as though it was all prepared fresh. The shrimp with lobster sauce was loaded, and I mean LOADED with twice the amount of huge shrimp that you generally get in an order. They were without a doubt fresh. The chicken and Chinese vegetables was the same way. More than twice the usual amount of chicken. The beef with asparagus was also the same way. Nothing tasted canned or frozen which in my experience has been the norm.

The restaurant is located in the Shoppes of Red Mill. Please make note of this. On the other side of the intersection is Red Mill Square. They also have a Chinese restaurant. I will refrain from mentioning their name, just be informed. Avoid that place unless you want to save 15% and eat canned and frozen Chinese food with a "Spanish' flair. Unless you enjoy mediocre food and are craving egg rolls and burritos at the same time, I'd stick to Golden Palace for what I can only describe as something I've eaten in a New York Chinese restaurant. The best in New Castle County IMO.

• Visited July 2011