“about what you'd expect”

Embassy Suites Newark - Wilmington/South
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed January 23, 2013

What you'd expect from a standard Enbassy Suites Hotel; clean, relatively quite, standard rooms and amenities. The loby is more open than many others I've stayed at. Easy access off the interstate. Across teh street trot men University of Delaware.
The heating system in meeting rooms must have been inoperable it was so cold.

Room Tip: No apparent difference from people I talked with.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed January 22, 2013

While attending a sporting event at the University of Delaware we stayed at the Embassy Suites in Newark, DE. This hotel is very well run. The staff could not of been nicer, from registration clerk, to the bartender serving cocktails and to the Chef serving up breakfast. Great smiles, with a very welcoming tone.

The Room was just a little smaller than other Embassy Suites I have been in, but the bed was very nice and the pillows were just right. The room was very clean and the attention to detail was right on.

We arrived late for the Manager's Reception however the Bartender was so nice he gave us a glass of wine and a beer as we sat down to recap the days activities.

In the morning the short order chef serving up, made to order breakfast, was very funny. He made everyone in line wake up to a smile and a chuckle. The only thing that was missing on the Breakfast Buffet was Bacon. But believe me, there are plenty of other items to choose from to get you set for the day.

All in all this was a great hotel. I would strongly urge anyone who is visiting Newark, DE to stay at the Embassy Suites. You will have a great stay!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 6th floor which was the top floor in the hotel so the interior halls were very warm...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Long trip. Family trip to take child to college in Massachusetts. Last minute reservation. Plan to stay there on all visits to child's school. Pleasantly surprised. Nice reception, great room, excellent room service, and fantastic breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 15, 2013

They were installing a non-slip coating in all of the hotel tubs while we were there for 9 nights. No one bothered to tell us that we would have to change hotel rooms in the middle of our stay when we checked in. When I received the notice under my door that I would have to move, I made several attempts to change rooms, but there was never one available. After being assured by the front desk that they would probably just get to my room after I checked out, I finally felt comfortable to completely unpack. The next night I returned to my room to find a sticker on my door saying "Do Not Enter--Chemicals have been sprayed" I assumed that someone had packed my belongings and moved them, but was extremely dismayed to find that they had entered my room past the "Do Not Disturb" tag hanging on the door handle and sprayed the chemical in the bathroom with all of my toiletries on the sink and all of my possessions exposed in the room. The front desk then offered to move me to another room which turned out to have no closet for my clothes. Upon inquiring at the desk, this room was an addition to a bridal suite and was never supposed to be given to a guest. What a nightmare!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Philip S
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a dozen times in the last 10 years, and it's been very consistent -- really somewhere between very good and excellent overall, I'd say, but with one outstanding feature: breakfast. I've been very pleased with almost everything about the breakfast, but the really outstanding feature is John, the omelette etc. chef. I see AggieTraveler98 wrote "omelette chef entertaining", but that doesn't do justice to him; he's a great chef, REALLY entertaining, and a terrific person as well.

Room Tip: The one thing to beware of is that rooms facing the road on one side of the hotel -- hmm, I think it...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Nothing special about this ES. Convenient to UD, although a little hard to get in/out of the parking lot northbound. TGIFridays attached (which I would never recommend on principle). Breakfast good...omelette chef entertaining. Had alot of loud holiday parties in the atrium, but that can't really be helped. Only real negative was the acoustics between bedrooms. I could hear everything our neighbors were doing all night. EVERYTHING. Would have called and asked for security, but they weren't even being that loud with what they were doing. It was just entirely obvious what they were doing...walls way too thin. Ugh.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank AggieTraveler98
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hotel is my family's little Home Away from Home...a place to take our kids for a day or two and get away conveniently, at a fair price and with nearly perfect results every time.

My 9 year-old daughter Jessica and I took a mini-vacation at this property the day after 2012 Christmas and, as always, the stay was near perfect.

It has a great indoor pool/Jacuzzi area, a terrific and filling (and included in the room price) breakfast and is connected to a TGIFriday's. So, breakfast is free and dinner is a phone call and a few steps away. And we didn't even need to step out in the freezing rain, either.

But perhaps best of all, the property is spotless clean and incredibly quiet. The latter is what I look for most in a hotel. When it is time to sleep, I don't need to hear doors shutting, or kids screaming. And in the ten or so visits to this property, I don't recall hearing either. They have a strict "no smoking" and "no noise policy" and they have teeth behind these, so these rules are not mearly words--they mean it and they enforce it. Thank you for this, Embassy Suites Newark!

The only minor issues this visit were the TV remotes weren't working. Oddly enuf, both remotes were not working. I'd like to think they would either know the shelf life of the batteries in the remotes and should replace accordingly, or should have the housekeeper check occasionally. Both incidents, the engineering staff member came up within seconds of being called, fixed the issue quickly and was as polite, professional and friendly as you could ask. He was one of the few staff members we came in contact with on this visit and he represented the hotel very well. We were also excited to see that this hotel now has high definition TV service, as this was a while in coming. Thank you.

The only other issue was the beds were way too soft. I have a bit of a balky back and the bed did not help. Still, I realize they can't have a bed for every guests preferences.

Again, these issues are minor and do not degrade the terrfic rating this hotel truly desserves.

As always, we'll be back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family