“This is my "home away from home"”

Embassy Suites Newark - Wilmington/South
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Homer
“This is my "home away from home"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I just returned from another week long stay at Embassy Suites in Newark - this is my favorite place to stay. I love the arrangement where the front room with desk and couch is separate from the bedroom. For this trip I invited several of my colleagues to stay here at Embassy, mostly for convenience but everyone had a great time and enjoyed the manager's nightly special and also they liked having TGIF next door. The fitness center is available 24 hours and the equipment is well maintained.

Room Tip: The top floor can be noisy from roof top air handlers. The south side gets noise from the highway.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

Whenever I stay at an Embassy Suites, I wonder why I don't have it on my list of go-to hotels. I like the fact that guests can close the door to the bedroom to shut out the noise of the corridors. As with other hotels in the chain, there is a living area with fold-out bed, television, microwave, refrigerator, sink, and coffee maker. The bed has an abundance of pillows to prop yourself up when reading or watching tv, as there is a second tv in the bedroom area.

Embassy Suites also offer an open-bar manager's reception in the lobby atrium, with light food, which is a nice touch. The only problem with this particular hotel is that the lobby isn't all that interesting. It's rather sterile, although there are some couches and end tables.

Breakfast is included in the room rate. It's a very generous breakfast with fresh fruit, yogurt, eggs, sausage, toast, bakery, cereals, juice, etc. If you'd like, you can have the chef cook you an omelette to order, which is a nice touch.

It takes about 5 minutes to drive into the University of Delaware campus or Main Street (where there are many restaurants). And this hotel is right off the interstate, too, so it has a convenient location.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed at this Embassy suites for a week long business trip and was honestly expecting a little more for $192 a night.

First let me start off with the good: The staff were pretty friendly and helpful. There is a TGI Fridays connected to the hotel which is open until 1 am each day I believe. The food was pretty good for a TGI Fridays. The one night I was able to enjoy the Manager's Reception I really enjoyed it....they had a good selection of drinks and also food (This was the first time I have been to one of these Manager's Receptions and seen Bruschetta!). The hotel is located right next to the University of Delaware and also not a bad drive into Wilmington.

Now the stuff I was not a fan of: I spend basically every week in a hotel for business so after a while I tend to get pretty picky. The room was fairly clean except for the shower had a couple of nasty stains on the floor and random hairs everywhere which always grosses me out. There is a Homewood Suites located across the parking lot which is nice but when you are staying on the side of that hotel you tend to have some internet problems. I could connect to the Embassy Suites network when I was in my living room but whenever I brought my iPad into the bedroom closer to the Homewood Suites I would lose connection and it would try and have me reconnect to the Homewood Suites network. I am sure there was a way around it to block the Homewood Suites but because both are Hhonors networks I wasn't able to figure it out.

Also the hotel was performing work on the Cable so there were a lot of times the cable was out. Yes I know this was more of an intermittent issue and not a permanent problem for the future but when I was having the internet problems and now no TV access it got pretty annoying quickly when all I wanted to do was relax and unwind.

I come to Wilmington a lot and usually stay at the Hilton Christiana when they are not booked up but will probably try another hotel next time besides the Embassy Suites.

Aberdeen, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I were looking to get away from the cold and hardships that Hurricane Sandy brought to NJ so we called the Embassy Suites in Newark DE. We were told that they had a vacancy that night but could not be sure they would be able to accomodate us for the following night. We went anyway and were happy that we did. We also phoned a friend and asked them to join us, which they did. After we checked in, the hotel staff encouraged us to keep asking about a cancellation for the following day. We followed that suggestion and rooms did open up,. We extended our stay for four nights.(So did our friends) During that time, we were given a special low rate that was being offered to Hurricane victims, we enjoyed hot buffet breakfasts daily and cocktail hours in the evening. The highlight of the breakfast buffet for us was the cheerful, friendly, singing chef who made great omlettes , eggs and pancakes to order. The entire staff made us feel like we wanted to make the Embassy Suites our permanent home. Conveniently attached to a Fridays', we were able to have dinners without going out in the cold. Conveniently located across the street from the U of Delaware, there are also many restaurants on College Ave. All in all, we were delighted that were able to "suffer through" Hurricane Sandy in such a beautiful, comfortable hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Helena
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a recent conference. The room was clean and comfortable, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the amenities were good. There was enough variety at breakfast to keep everyone happy, and the evening reception was a nice way to wind down a busy day. I would recommend this hotel for business and personal travel.

Room Tip: Large rooms are great for families, as is the hot breakfast.
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had to leave our home due to Hurricane Sandy.
When we checked in we told that they would do anything to make our stay comfortable. Believe it or not...they meant what they said.They helped us with directions and knowledge of were we were, how to get places and where to go.
They were always cheerful and several times reminding us that should we be able to go home they will just end our open ended stay. Even when they were fully booked we and the other hurricane victims were first on their wait list.
The hotel ammenities are perfect. Cheerful, happy employees. Morning Omelet maker and evening bartender always had a smile. Hotel is immaculately clean.
This is a 5 star hotel in my opinion.
When we left we were wished well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was locked out of my room for an hour because the battery died in the door lock mechanism. I had to make several trips to the front desk after being told the card was keyed correctly. The engineer was friendly and worked quickly, but management shouldn't have let it happen to begin with.

Food service runs until 10:30pm. I called at 9:45 and got a recorded message saying that they were experiencing high call volume, so I should leave my name and room number and they'd get back to me. I did so - three times - and never heard back. So I called the front desk at 10:35 and was told "Yeah he just left." Not sure who "he" is, but now I am hungry and there are no restaurants within walking distance.

I asked the front desk what they could do to make my experience better, and Kyle said "Yeah, I'm sorry."

Room Tip: Higher numbers are farther from the elevators, so request one to avoid the elevator "ding"...
2 Thank murdockpencil
gmnewde, General Manager at Embassy Suites Newark - Wilmington/South, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear MurdockPencil

I am very sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we will be sure to correct these issues. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider giving us another chance.

Warmest regards,