“This place made me love trying new beer”
Review of Two Stones Pub

Two Stones Pub
Ranked #5 of 384 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: 25 Craftbrew Taphandles- all great beer, pub grub and hifgh end- example- foie gras burger, cheeseplate, mini corn dogs
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have been to Two Stones several times in the past few years. It is true that the beer is quite expensive but you are paying for the selection and the high alcohol content. One cannot expect to get a Miller Lite for $5 and a craft beer with a 9% alcohol content for the same price. I'd bet most people would prefer the craft beer with the higher alcohol content. There's a reason you pay more for it, within reason. Some beers are as high as $12 a glass, like the Sah' Tea, which I do find to be somewhat overpriced.

The specials at Two Stones are definitely creative and as far as I've had...very good. The regular menu is fairly short and can get boring fast. I can only go mostly on the weekend and during the weekend there are no specials. You can run through the menu in just a few visits. Most everything I've tried on the menu is high quality. I've had pork belly, mussels, crab cakes, burgers, etc. Of course they also have typical bar food as well. The mussels are always good and the portion is a big bowl...plenty enough to fill you up. Recently, I had their Thai Sweet Potato soup which was unlike any soup I've ever had. It was thick and spicy and very delicious. I love how their chef(s) think out of the box.

Prepare to spend money if you visit Two Stones but as a treat it's well worth it. I can't say much about the table service here as I've mostly sat at the bar. The bar service is excellent.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I ate a late dinner here while traveling on business.

It was crowded and had a loud pub atmosphere with a good crowd that seemed to be enjoying themselves.

The decor emphasizes the selection of microbrews and imported beers that are a highlight of the establishment.

I was seated at a table in the back. The tables are all "pub tables", so if you are not comfortable sitting on a bar stool, take note.

The specials looked interesting. I ordered a starter from the specials menu: "Truffle Shuffle Mussels", which were served in a cream sauce with crimini mushrooms and parmesan cheese. The mussels were cooked perfectly, and the sauce was essentially an alfredo sauce with some mushrooms in it. Very good, and very rich. I didn't really detect any truffle flavor or scent.

For my main course, I had the "Brewer's Plate", which consists of three different wursts, sauerkraut, smoked cheddar-bacon mashed potatoes (which I can't eat, so I substituted with addtional kraut and 'artisinal cheese'. The sausages were very good, and each one had a disticnt flavor. The sauerkraut was crisp and not warmed up--unusual but tasty. The artisinal cheese was two chunks of tasty but not particularly interesting cheddar. It also came with "whole grain mustard cream", which seemed like regular whole grain mustard to me. I asked for more mustard and was surprised that I was charged an additional 50 cents for more mustard (I've never been charged for mustard before).

Service was efficient and friendly, and my soft drink was regularly refilled without prompting.

I enjoyed my dinner at Two Stones Pub, and I would consider eating here again, especially with a group.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Nice pub, great selection of brews gives this place a 4 rating. Staff very friendly and knowledgeable, food was good, priced right.

Parking is an issue, none by front door, had to park in front of a commercial paint shop.

They may need to get into brewing and have their own signature beer.

1  Thank Mike_vacation_12
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We have been frequenting Two Stones Pub in Newark ever since we were first introduced to the place about 7 or 8 months ago. Being a beer geek, the first thing that struck me was the incredible selection on the beer board. If your idea of a great beer is the coldest light beer you can find, this place is not for you. If you truly enjoy craft beer, you absolutely must visit Two Stones. Not only do they offer a great selection (usually at least 24 different selections on tap), but they also continually rotate the selection, so you can have a different experience each time you go. In addition, they offer "half pours" (smaller sizes) and they will let you try anything you ask for, for no charge. The staff are very well educated on their beers, and are very helpful if you ask for suggestions based on your own personal taste.
The thing that keeps us coming back (besides the promise of a new board every few days) are the unique menu selections. From chicken livers to pork cheeks, you can always count on something being on the "specials" menu that you would probably not find any place else. For the less adventurous, there are all of your standard pub-type menu offerings as well (burgers, wings, cheese tray), but nothing is standard about their preparation and presentation.
The sauces and sides are carefully and artfully put together, and no detail is overlooked.
Sometimes when I look at the menu, and the food that is brought out to the table, I have to remind myself that I am at a Pub, and actually here for the beer!
The wait staff is courteous and friendly, and also a big part of what keeps us coming back.
They work very well as a team, often stopping by to check on you whether you are "their" table or not.
Overall, I would feel 100% confident recommending Two Stones Pub to any of my friends, or family, and to anyone who has a true appreciation for great beer and great good.
Try it, you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Clan_Campbell_DE
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I wrote a review when this place first opened and raved about it. Unfortunately, things have changed quite a bit since then and it is no longer a place we visit regularly.
Service was fantastic, but is now a game up constant upselling already overpriced drinks and food. Orders are never written down, and therefore we pay for the mistakes. Food quality isn't what it used to be either.
Recently had a bill in which we caught an overcharge, the server said the menu was just wrong! Thankfully, the manager changed it for us, but we left with a bad taste. If that menu was printed that way, then it isn't our fault we wanted to be charged that price.
Beer costs are getting outrageous- especially when another local pub charges half of that they do for the same beer.
From the looks of the recent reviews, I'm not the only loyal customer going elsewhere... hopefully something is done. We brought so much business to this place, sad we no longer will.

Been to Two Stones Pub? Share your experiences!