“Unfresh food with heavy source or spice, unfriendly service & dirty restroom”
Review of Hong Kong King Buffet - CLOSED

Hong Kong King Buffet
Cuisines: Chinese
Description: 302-366-1737
Description: 302-366-1737
newark, DE
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unfresh food with heavy source or spice, unfriendly service & dirty restroom”
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Dont go there at lunch time. A few customers eat there at lunch time. You will get a big chance of eating unfresh food. Food are sitting at serving table for all day and freshy cooked food will not be served until the serving tray is empty. Beef & Broccoli covered with heavy souce. Beef is tasteless and stiff.

Fries and nuggets taste like a rubber. Flies were flying around the raw food at Mongolian grill section. Noodle and rice are acceptable. I think sushi is the only thing serve freshly there. Various dessert to choose from.

Wallpaper is peeling off. Restroom and kitchen are smelly. Dirty and wet floor nearby the kitchen's door. Waiter and waitress dont seem friendly. They had no smile and looked mad and sad. My 2 yrs old kid dropped food on the floor accidentally and the waitress gave us uncomfortable look.

It is a below average buffet with an above average price. Price for an adult is acceptable, but the price of a young kid is overcharged. It is same as the older kid. The only age eat free is 0 to 1. I had a terrible experience there.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank LuvNewark

Delaware
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,790 helpful votes
“Large Buffet, BUT Cold & NOT so good food.”
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I ate at this restaurant once about 5 years ago. I remember not liking it too much--hence the fact that I had not returned in almost 5 years. But, the other day I was hungry and didn't feel like "fast food", so I thought I would give the buffet a try again. I figured maybe they just had a bad night the one time I did go & hoped it would be a better experience this time.

So, I went inside & grabbed one of the styrofoam containers from the front desk. You just fill up your container (minimum of 3 items) & bring it back to the front for weighing (IF you want the buffet to-go). They do have several buffet bars with LOTS of selections including chinese, american, salads, seafood, fruit and desserts. I wanted chinese, so I got some vegetable lo mein, chicken & broccoli, teriyaki chicken, sesame chicken and pepper steak. I paid around $6.25 for my dinner ($4.99 per pound). Good price, but it really wasn't worth what I paid for it. IF the food had been good, it would have been an amazing price. BUT, most of the food was gross. Almost everything I had was cold and overly sweet. The sesame chicken tasted like orange glazed candy. The vegetable lo mein was OK, but ruined since I put some of the sesame chicken sauce on the noodles. The pepper steak meat was not the best quality (cold, somewhat fatty and tough). The taste was kind of bland. The teriyaki chicken was inedible..sweet, cold and horrible tasting. The only item that was edible was the chicken & broccoli. It was the only thing I really ate, as the rest of the selections ended up in the trash can! It really was THAT bad.

Overall, my dining experiences with Hong Kong King Buffet have been poor. The HUGE dining room does appear the be clean as does the buffet area. The staff is neither friendly nor unfriendly...kind of lackluster service. The food is gross, not to mention COLD. The prices would be good IF the food were decent, but I was left disappointed & hungry. The only good thing I can really say about the ACTUAL food is that there are lots of selections on the buffet, but WHAT good are ALL the selections IF the food is cold & mediocre tasting? I think they should focus more on quality of their food selections rather than the quantity! To be honest, I think MOST people go to this buffet since you can basically get AUCE snow crab legs, steamed blue crabs, shrimp, clams, fish and other seafood dishes OFF the buffet (all included in the buffet pricing). I even overheard one of the customers remarking about how he got a good deal because it would have cost him more to go buy a dozen crabs than it cost him to eat them OFF the buffet. The night I was there the buffet had LOTS of seafood selections & they were full at the time I visited. I agree it would be a good value IF you love seafood, but IF the seafood tastes as bad as the chinese--it might not be worth it after all!!

My recommendation would be to skip this place. IF you want decent chinese in the Newark area, try Ming Kitchen on Salem Church Rd. OR the Crownery in Hockessin instead.

Note: This restaurant is a popular stop for the tour/travel buses since it is located just off I-95...so at times there may be crowds of people.

Tip: Senior discount offered. Children under 2 FREE.

Newark, Delaware
“It used to be a great place to eat.”
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We walked out the other night. Got seated, checked out the buffet and decided to leave. Its been going down hill the last year or so, but this trip was the worst ever. Greasy slippery floors, cold dried out food. Its just plain dirty. Forget about eating the ice cream, its disgusting. They don't replenish the expensive food fast enough. If you want the crab legs, you better be the first or second one in line. They time bringing them out. Usually about 15 minutes between empty and full again. Everyone has gotten used to filling up plates for their entire table and the rest of the line is SOL. We'll never go back thats for sure.