“Another great meal...great for a family gathering”

La Piazza di Caruso
Ranked #113 of 384 Restaurants in Newark
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have visited Caruso's quite a few times & always had good food and service. We visited again the other day with family to celebrate Easter. We had 5 adults and 2 children in our party. We were seated at a few tables that had chairs on one side and a bench seat on the other. We were given menus and drink orders taken.

After looking over the menu we ordered spaghetti bolognese, chicken piccata, veal piccata, a slice of tomato pie and a calzone (with ham & cheese). We also got a calamari appetizer. Pasta & salads came with a few of our entrees. Overall we enjoyed the food. Everything was very good. The calzone and slice of tomato pie were very garlicy. We enjoyed them, but just know that IF you don't like garlic...these might not be your best match. The calazone was HUGE! It was basically a whole pizza folded in half!! The spaghetti bolognese, veal and chicken piccatas were also very good. The meat sauce on their pasta is thick, hearty & delish. The salads were cool and crisp. Also tasty. The calamari was a favorite amongst those who shared it.

From start to finish, we had another great meal. Service was friendly. Food was good. Prices were decent. Serving sizes were pretty large, especially the calzone! Speed of service was not too slow, but not FAST food either. Place always appears clean. We had another great meal & will be sure to visit again.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

It's hard to find good pizza in DE - happy to say I now have a 2nd place that I can go grab a slice. Thin crunchy crusts, good sauce and toppings.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I don't usually eat Italian food out because being Italian, I enjoy home-made Italian food. We had a family dinner to celebrate an occasion and I was very pleased with the food and service. On another occasion we stopped in for a quick slice of pizza, and my husband and I really loved the pizza and thought that the prices were very good. Their pizza reminds us of the pizza we enjoyed when we were still in New York. We live in lower Delaware and will definitely stop in whenever we're in town.

Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

An average overall experience...after a movie.
Lunch prices make it work.
One things for sure...cooks know how to make Veal Marsala!
Server was alone and melancholy.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I've been here a few times and didn't have any bad experiences, but the food isn't spectacular either. The prices are a touch high for the entrees. If the prices were more in line with the quality of the food, I'd go a bit more often.

I usually sit at the bar, and it's usually quiet when I am there. A few tables here and there, but not too much noise. The bartender is always very nice and friendly. The salad is typical, probably pre-made and thrown in the walk-in freezer to sit all night. The pasta is alright, the marinara sauce is pretty tasty. It's not amazing. But it's alright. I've had the seafood pasta, and enjoyed it. I guess it's hit or miss. Not sure how the pizza is. There are separate dining rooms - the pizza side seems to be louder and the bar side (when I am there) tends to be more secluded and quiet, though I've seen families with young kids on that side too.

Been to La Piazza di Caruso? Share your experiences!