“Great find in Newark, Delaware”

Soffritto Italian Grill Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Polly Drummond & Kirkwood Highway
Description: Soffritto Italian Grill is an authentic family-owned Italian restaurant located at 1130 Capitol Trail in Newark, DE. Since we opened our doors in 2005, Soffritto’s wealth of experience and exquisite dishes have brought them great recognition and acclaim locally, as well as internationally.To fully enjoy their experience at Soffritto Italian Grill, our guests dine in a beautiful, relaxing atmosphere that creates an ambience of a home away from home. Our Tuscan stone and stucco exterior along with our wood burning fireplace welcome guests into the restaurant. Murmurs from our waterfall and authentic Italian music coupled with the delicious aromas of our award-winning Italian cuisine provide a sense of comfort during their stay. Soffritto’s name derives from the very thing that is most important to us: food. Soffritto comes from the Italian verb soffriggere, which means to brown or fry slightly. Many Italian recipes begin with a soffritto, a lightly fried mixture of onions, celery, and carrot, sautéed in olive oil, thus imparting their flavors to any ingredient that follows. Soffritto prides itself on its innovative family recipes and passion that goes into every individual dish. They believe the key to high quality food begins with a commitment to only the freshest of ingredients, and ensure that every ingredient is hand-picked by our experienced chefs.From traditional coastal Italian dishes to new and inspired flavors, Soffritto aims at meeting every customers needs and desires. Every dish is prepared to order, with an emphasis on taste and presentation. We are notorious for our homemade ingredients, including fresh homemade mozzarella, focaccia bread, linguini, and gnocchi. Soffritto receives great acclaim for their acute awareness to different customers’ dining preferences, including our gluten-free menu and abundance of vegetarian alternatives. We strive for quality and distinction. At Soffritto, you will find an attentive and professional staff who puts the customers’ needs first. Whether you choose to come to Soffritto for a birthday, a romantic getaway, a business meeting, or just to catch up with friends, our staff will provide you with the utmost level of professional service and courtesy.Our staff has a reputation for their energy, skill, and passion. We have committed time into training our staff members individually and in entirety to be attentive, efficient, and complaisant. With their vast knowledge of the menu items, our staff is full of suggestions and recommendations to ensure you have just the meal you’ve been craving.
Reviewed April 19, 2013

As a University of Delaware parent coming from New York I do not get many opportunities to make the trip down to visit with my daughter. When I am able to however, we like to be able to sit down and take our time at dinner to talk and catch up. Soffritto is the only place in Newark where we don't feel rushed to finish our meal. The comfortable and relaxed atmosphere is like enjoying a meal at my own kitchen table - a home away from home. The moment we walked through the door, we received a warm welcome from the hostess. The service was above and beyond what most other comparable restaurants in the area offer. I ordered the Linguini Pescatore in a spicy red sauce which was phenomenal. My daughter had the Homemade Cannelloni, which was one of the specials of the evening. Both dishes were fresh and cooked to order. My daughter is allergic to tomatoes, so we kindly asked to leave any tomatoes off her dish; the server was very understanding and accommodating! We has anticipated taking home leftovers but ended up finishing every last bite. Don't waste your time on Main Street at a lower quality restaurant and instead travel only a couple more minutes down the road to an AUTHENTIC Italian restaurant! If only there were a Soffritto nearby in NY! We will definitely be back.

2  Thank Ronald B

Reviewed April 17, 2013

My family visits Soffritto Italian Grill quite often. The food is always wonderful and the owner and staff are always great as well.The restaurant is cozy and clean. The Veal Marsala, Chicken Stuffed Shells, Veal Milanese are just a few of our favorite meals. The bruschetta is the best I've ever had.

Two of the booths are located next to a waterfall which is very romantic.

1  Thank Pat C
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We dined early on a Saturday evening at this restaurant and we when arrived they gave us a booth which did not have enough space for the 4 of us. We asked for a table in the middle and they took us to another booth along the wall. We said we wanted a table in the middle with some more room but we didn't get our request. We should have left at that time but we were hungry. The menu was vast with lots of choices and the waitress gave us the specials quickly, in fact she spoke so fast we missed them. Next we ordered wine and appetizers that were pretty good. When we ordered our entrees, the waitress asked if we wanted to upgrade the salad to caesar but left off the cost of $5 which we found later to be excessive for the scarcity of salad. I ordered Pollo Milanese which listed seasonal vegetables and potatoes but when it arrived there were none, just the chicken and some arrugula, two olives, and asparagus stocks. The dish said it would have asparagus tips. When I asked the waitress to bring me the vegetables and potatoes she said no. Later the owner came by to ask how the meal was and I mentioned the lack of items listed and he said I should have asked for it and they would have brought it. Overall we found it to be overpriced for the quality of the meals and that we were rushed to get in and out by the staff.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We ate here on a recent trip to DE from Northern Virginia. The featured wine was a Malnera Merlot. At $28/bottle, it very resonably priced with excellent character. At the waiter's recommendation, we ordered the calamari to share for two. It was perfectly cooked with a healthy portion of rings (as opposed to breaded tentacles that are sometimes used to "pad" such appetizers). This was a winner. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the main course. We had the Salmone Alla Brace. It smelled fishy when it arrived at the table, and when piercing the skin, reeked of fish. One tiny taste and it was on it's way back to the kitchen. Old? Previously frozen? Apologies arrived from the owner. We substituted stuffed shells. OK. Since we feel any restaurant deserves a second chance if all other factors were favorable we plan to try again, however another bad fish entre and we'll scratch this place from our list.

Giovanni P, Owner at Soffritto Italian Grill Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Fred,

I have read your comment and I thank you for trying our restaurant and for your feedback. I do remember your visit particularly well, as I typically greet my customers at their tables. While reading your entry, I couldn't help but be very surprised by your comment about the salmon, as I specifically remember you stating, rather, that it was dry and just "wasn't going to do it." As you may remember, I then smiled and agreed about the dryness of the salmon, which I do admit was a mistake on our part.

I did try the salmon myself and I'm very secure that it was not spoiled. I am very sorry that you had this experience in my restaurant, however I can assure you that all of our food, the fish included, is always fresh and hand picked for greatness. Where I did find your posting to be quite disappointing and disconcerting, I of course respect your opinion.

We hope to see you at Soffritto again at a later date. If you would like to discuss your experience further, feel free to contact me.

Kind regards,
Giovanni

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My wife and I went here for our anniversary after hearing good word of mouth from neighbors. The food did not disappoint, it was fresh, flavorful, and very tasty. Trouble was later that night... I got food poisoning and was sick for three days. The misery of those days greatly outweighs the pleasures of the meal for me, so I won't be back.