Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Baltimore, Maryland
“Wow - just wow!”
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

We really didn't need to stay overnight so close to home, but decided to extend our trip in the Philly area and stayed here to do some shopping the next day at Christiana. Each staff member was unbelievably friendly and helpful. The hotel looks more like a lodge in the woods. Spacious lobby with comfortable seating and a nice warm fire. The breakfast was delicious and plenty of it too! Our room was enormous and spotless. We never heard any noise all night long thanks to their no tolerance noise policy.

I used to stay with another brand exclusively, but I think I will be making a switch permanently. The hotel was exactly as shown on the site. The pool is large, the workout room in good order. We even found a private patio out back to sit and enjoy their rose garden. Nice touch!

Thanks for the lovely stay!

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Groovina B
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Groovina B,

Thank you much for enjoying our hotel recently. Although you did not have to stay so close to home, we are glad you did. Please come back in the spring to see our tulips out by the patio. They are more beautiful than the roses. See you again soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
E. Stbg
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The desk service was great, We only stayed overnight but the room was not up to par. The bed linens were stained & the mattress was really hard. The pillows were very uncomfortable. I did not sleep at all that night. My husband checked out the "Free Breakfast" while I loaded the car with our luggage. He said it was not at all appetizing & refused to eat there, so we went to a nearby restaurant. I am sorry to say, I will not stay at this chain again.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dawn T
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dawn T,

Thank you for recently choosing to stay with us and for advising us of your displeasure. We certainly welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly, so we may discuss further these issues. I hope to hear from you soon and again we are truly sorry we did not live up to your standards.

Anthony Petro
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed here for a week for business, and we were only 1 mile from the office and got a great price. Hotel was new and clean. The breakfast was good with a lot of variety. I enjoyed talking to the night desk clerks, who gave me a lot of information on local restaurants and helped our group book a reservation. They were amazing! There's a w/d on the premises and a fitness club. Great for me with the treadmill and TV, but it is very small. There's also a pool. I lost wifi and wasn't happy about that but found out that the password is changed every week, and I wish I'd known that. Also, the room temperature was fine, but it was getting a bit cool the last night, and only the fan worked. Not sure if the heat is turned off seasonally. I would love to return as it was clean, efficient, and had lots of free parking.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lisa A
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Lisa A,

Thank you for your recent stay and for your great comments regarding our hotel. We certainly hope your business brings you back to Newark soon.
Ocean City, Maryland
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was my first stay at a Holiday Inn Express and I was pleasantly surprised. The service and quality of the hotel exceeded other similarly priced chains, in my opinion. The room was very clean and comfortable - loved the small fridge in the room. The staff were kind and welcoming - particularly Jimmy at the front desk, who made check in pleasant and easy. Breakfast was standard fare, but very good with a nice dining area to relax. The only small downside that I found was that there are not very many tv channels in the rooms. Not a major issue, but would have been nice to have more options. I will definitely return to this hotel in the future - clean, convenient, and friendly!

Room Tip: Try to avoid being near the ice machine if possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jml433
jml433,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for the first time recently. It is great to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to your next visit with us.
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Room was very clean and quiet. Location near highway, yet far enough to be free of the hwy noise. Breakfast average. Missed having a waffle machine and hot bacon/sausage(only warm). Turned off the HVAC system as we were in between seasons and unit was noisy and not working at the temp. desired. Turned out to have perfect room temp for the two days spent. The European systems for individual rooms are much superior to those so commonly found in our hotel/motels.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank johnjd53
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
johnjd53,

Thank you much for your comments. We appreciate you choosing our hotel and for taking the time to share your comments and concerns.

We would certainly hope to see you again in your travels.
Fountain Valley, California
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This hotel is all about the details. We've stayed in a lot of HIE hotels, and this one rates 12 on a 1 to 10 scale. The beautiful lobby greets you on arrival. The lovely spacious breakfast room is behind the fireplace with plenty of room for everyone and a high ceiling that reduces noise. The breakfast menu was excellent and had unusual selections that were well above standard. It has leather chairs for reading and relaxing at other than breakfast. The bathroom has built-in shelves for all your stuff so it's off the counter, and this is a personal favorite - soap dishes (no mushy soap all over). The room was super clean, bright and airy. The location is perfect for attractions in the Wilmington-Newark area. We highly recommend this inn and will be back for another stay!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy S
Nancy S,

Thank you for your kind words. We are so happy to hear of your enjoyment, not only our hotel, but our Brand in general. We look forward to your return.
Colorado
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have stayed in several HI Exp hotels and they are all about the same. That's why I keep going. The only complaint I would have that's consistent is the A/C unit. When it's on, the fan stays on whether it's cooling or not. Otherwise, I found the state of the room, staff, and breakfast on par for what I expect from HI Exp. I will plan to stay there if I find myself in that area again.

One comment, they are stuck in an odd location (dead end street), so you have to deal with a traffic light every time you want to go somewhere.

Room Tip: I liked being on the front side of the hotel, but I doubt there is a bad room in the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gadget665
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Gadget665,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently. You comments are much appreciated and we hope to see you again.