“Very clean and updated”

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Richmond, Virginia
“Very clean and updated”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This Holiday Inn Express was much like the other "new" ones- beautiful lobby with TV/fireplace, bigger breakfast area though standard food, and clean rooms with nice bathrooms. Enjoyed our night there. Front desk was also very helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lawa306
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Iawa306:

Thank you for your comments. After being open for just over 3 years, we enjoy hearing and pride ourselves in the cleanliness and "new" atmosphere we are still upholding. We hope you choose our hotel again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Chile
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My family and I stayed overnight and had a good nights sleep. The room was clean, had 2 queen sized beds and a hide away couch, all of which were comfortable. The room was large and the bathroom was clean. The hotel has two swimming pools as well as laundry which were helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jim D
JamesDorchak:

Thank you for recently visiting our hotel and sharing your comments. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our indoor pool and Jacuzzi, and found our on-site laundry facility helpful. We hope that in the future you choose to stay with us again.
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Holiday Inn
1201 Christiana Drive
Newark, DE
Manager on Duty: Marcy Vaughn

I'm a priority club platinum member who decided to use my points for an overnight stay at the above location. My family and I travelled to Delaware for a wedding. We left our North Carolina home early enough to arrive for a 2PM wedding. Due to traffic we arrived at the hotel at 2PM.
At the service desk I was greeted by a gentlemen who took my information only to tell me "We had a full hotel last night and your room is not ready". On the wall next to the gentlemen was a sign displaying that check-in was at 3:00pm. I fully understand what the sign means but I did ask if he had anything other than the room I requested available. I explained that we were going to a wedding and my family needed to change and freshen up after being up since 5AM. He told me "We don't have anything but you can use our hotel bathroom to change". I asked him if he could ask housekeeping to fast track a room for me and he stated "We're not allowed to do that." I let the gentlemen know I was not going to let my family change in the hotel lobby's bathroom and we'd be back. We went to a local mall to grab a few things (we realized we missed the wedding and hoped to make the reception) and went back to the hotel. At this point it was 2:35PM and Marcy Vaughn the hotel manager was at the desk. I knew she was the hotel manager b/c it was displayed on the wall. I asked Marcy if our room was ready and she stated NO, it wasn't ready and that check-in was at 3PM. I told her I knew when check-in was but was hoping to get into our room to get changed for a wedding. She "looked" in their system and according to her "there are no rooms ready". I let her know she could cancel my reservation. She went into the system and cancelled my reservation and allowed me to walk out without a confirmation number. I took my family across the parking lot to the Comfort Inn, where we got a room, freshened up and changed for the wedding. (Here's where it gets interesting)
The next day, I was still steaming for the lack of customer service. Not to say I wanted a room right then but from the fact that neither individual seemed like they were even willing to try to help my family. Besides looking in the "system" nothing else was done. So I went back to the hotel since it was across the parking lot to make sure I got my cancellation confirmation number and Marcy was at the desk. I asked her for the confirmation number but this is how the conversation went.

Me: Excuse me yesterday when I came in my room wasn't available at 2PM and we left and came back at 2:30PM and it still wasn't ready.

Marcy: I know, I looked in the system and it didn't show anything available.

Me: So you mean to tell me that your house cleaning staff is going to clean an entire hotel in 30 mins b/c check-in is at 3PM?

Marcy: I don't know what housekeeping does down there. I look in the system.

Me: (Funny Look) But you're hotel manager and you don't know what your housekeeping does?

Marcy: I don't deal with housekeeping... Plus our check-in isn't until 3PM. They clean the overstays (people staying over) first and then clean the departures.

Me: (Funny Look) Don't you think that's a little backwards?

Marcy: <No Response>

Me: Thank you have a great day <walk out>

Now I'm not the smartest on the planet but there was A LOT wrong with this entire situation. The customer service was horrible. Not to say that I should have gotten a room but the fact that neither individual tried. What I would've done was call house keeping and asked if there were any rooms that were cleaned that hadn't been put in the system. I'm sure there were but neither individual tried (probably b/c they're not permitted to talk to housekeeping, now that's a problem).

So not only do they lose a sale of a room but they also get listed as having horrible customer service b/c they were lazy and didn't want to go the extra mile for a platinum member from out of town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank DAS030994
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
DAS030994:

Thank you for taking the time to explain your dissatisfaction with our service. We appreciate all the feedback we receive from our guests and apologize for the inconvenience this situation caused you.

We attempt to provide superior service and accommodations to all our guests. We have taken the necessary action to ensure similar situations such as yours can be avoided in the future. We welcome the opportunity to improve in the future.

We sincerely hope that if you are in our area again, you choose to give us another opportunity to serve you.

Thank you again.
Lake George, New York
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Very very clean, immaculate! Attentive front desk staff, guest room was in perfect conditon. and the best breakfast (free!) in years. The scrambled eggs were freshly made, home made taste and texture.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bernice S
, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Bernice S:

Thank you for the great review and for enjoying our hotel. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and the immaculate shape our hotel is in. We hope you choose our Express hotel again when in the Newark area.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We stayed here while we attended the NASCAR races in Dover. We couldn't have enjoyed our stay more. The staff we encountered were all very professional. The culinary staff gave great care to preparing and serving the complimentary breakfast. The dining area was always kept scrupulously clean. The desk staff provided great directions and tips for sightseeing. The housecleaning staff was very thorough and timely with their duties. Bravo!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bigheadman
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
Dear Bigheadman:

Thank you for your recent comments about our hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you enjoyed the races in Dover and hope you choose our Holiday Inn Express & Suites again.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This place is superb. It is pretty new and it shows. The place is spotless, the rooms are plenty big and the bed is....OMG......seriously the best night sleep I had for months, and I have a good bed at home.

There is no bar or evening restaurant, but it does include a buffet hot and cold breakfast. It is amoung the best I've ever had at a hotel.

The local area doesn't have alot close by, but it is more geared towards business so that's fine. Saying that, a 10 minutes drive down the road you hit the "main strip" of newark and it is a pleasure. Pubs and restaurants delivery any need you are looking for.

Check in and check out were easy, this is my second visit and have never had to queue, the hotel is quiet, almost as if it's Delaware's best kepp secret (hotel wise).

It also has a Gym and Swimming pool, what more could you want?!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Chad C
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Dear Chad C:

Thank you much for your comments on Trip Advisor. We are certainly delighted after reading how much you enjoy our hotel. We look forward to your next stay in Newark!
Midlands
Reviewed May 12, 2012

The main purpose of my trip was to visit Delaware Park Casino and I noticed this property was a lot cheaper (50%) than the Hilton alternative for the dates I wished to visit.

Location:
There is also plenty of parking and is within 2-3 miles of the main entrance to Delaware Park so is ideally situated.

Bedroom:
Very spacious (in fact, I'm not sure they even need to big that big!), large comfortable bed and decent size tv with a few HD channels. Bathroom had a walk-in double shower and plenty of toiletries. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Wi-Fi was included in the room rate.

Facilities:
Walked past the pool to get to the gym. Was empty when I went and had 2 treadmills, 1 cross-trainer and (I think) a bike machine. Water machine and plenty of fresh towels, air-conditioned and a large tv all to myself.

Breakfast:
Buffet-style included in the room rate and eaten in the large dining area (which kind of reminded me of a large lodge/cabin). Bacon and omelettes were the hot food supplied along with lots of pastries, youghurts, breads, fruit, muffins, etc. What was even better was that I was able to take some food away in a take-away bag in preparation for my long drive.

Staff:
Pleasant staff. In the morning at breakfast, the member of staff was very courteous and even recommended I take some food away (I can imagine some staff in other hotels not being happy at guests taking away breakfast buffet food!!!). I managed to get a late check-out as I was running a little late - I was not made to rush.

Overall:
Excellent value. I have rated this 5, not because it is comparable to a 5* hotel (because it isn't), but for the category it lies in (a 3* hotel), it represents exceptional value for money and exceeds my expectations at that level.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank pandaexplorer
hiesales, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear pandaexplorer:

Thank you much for the kind words and for enjoying our hotel. We hope you return and enjoy us everytime you are in the Newark, DE area.