“Rooms need updating, as well as their unethical billing practices”

Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in New Castle
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Stayed here after a recent flight. Upon arriving at the front desk I was informed that the machine that makes the room keys was out of order. It took 20+ minutes to check in and I had to be let into my room by an employee each time I left. Not the employees fault, they were making the best of the situation. But to management: it is absolutely unacceptable to not have a redundancy in place and be 3+ days without a working machine. I mean really, the front desk agent said they wouldn't have a new machine for days and that is plain cheap and unacceptable!

The rooms are DATED. For the normal price being charged I would pick another hotel. I've stayed a nearby Red Roof Inn with new renovated rooms that was miles ahead of this hotel, and significantly cheaper. Having a 'flat panel TV does nothing to modernized a room if the rest of it screams 1990s.

Now, as for the reprehensible billing practices of this hotel... I checked in an a valid best rate guarantee claim through Choice Hotels. The front desk agent was a bit confused but confirmed the complimentary night and a $0 charge. I checked out with a $0 balance. Several days later I have a charge on my credit card for the room night anyways. This is the ONLY Choice hotel I have ever had an issue with concerning charges for VALID best rate guarantees. Now I have to do a chargeback, which is a pain.

Overall, a very underwhelming hotel. The place has ONE building of rooms that are modern-looking, the rest of the property is a dump. I will not stay here again (even if it were free) nor would I recommend it.

Room Tip: The one building closest to the airport looked newish, so I'd request a room in that building.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Paul R, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2013

We first would like to oofer our apologies for the difficulties you experienced during your stay with us. While we did have a redundancy process for an errant key machine, it too failed on us and thus we had to resort to a manual way of getting our guests into the rooms. We have since fixed both methods, but it certainly made for a difficult time and we sincerely apologize.

With regard to being dated, we have recently put in new carpeting, draperies and other soft goods and are currently budgeting for the hard goods to the rooms, as well as updating bathrooms. Our all-suites building that you mentioned is more updated and offers a newer contemporary setting. All rooms though, have received good comments regarding the cleanliness of the room.

Your issue with the payment, stems from a third party website offering that we were unaware of and was not communicated to us. We apologize and have since recredited the amount to your account. As this site doesn't offer all the information regarding your stay, if you have this kind of issue in the future, we ask that you contact us directly, so that we can address it as fast as possible. Again, please accept our apologies.

There are newer reviews for Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed here for a night as a quick stop-over on the way to DC. We were just looking for a cheap, clean, no-frills room. We got two out of the three. It was cheap and there certainly were no-frills. The problem was the room was musty and had an unpleasant smell. The location was good, right off the highway and easy to find but next time we would find a different place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

I appreciate receiving your comments as gives us information on where we need to improve our efforts. Your comments will be given to our housekeeping department for review and the ownership will also receive a copy. We hope that you will allow us another chance to impress you more positively.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

The Bed was a standard double - not king size which is what I expected. There was no light switch on one side of the bed. The room was dark and gloomy. Very disappointed, won't stay there again even though it was convenient..

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Paul R, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2013

Please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations. Our Guest Service Representative should have reviewed your reservation at the time you checked in. Depending on where the reservation was made, it can sometimes be confusing as to the bed type reserved as there are now a myriad of diiferent web sites that one can make a reservation. I know that recently, the demand on our king beds has been quite high.

A recommendation for all, is to call any property directly, the day of your reservation, just to confirm the aspects of the reservation. That way unfortunate surprises can hopefully be avoided. I do hope that you will offer us another chance to serve you in the future.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Easy to find location on highway with great service desk person for late night arrivals. Females or young families traveling late at night will feel safe pulling in. Can park right by room, bring pets, has fridge & nice little breakfast area. Not a high end hotel but for the price it felt clean, comfortable, convenient and safe.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Jennifer L
Paul R, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

While all comments are appreciated, to either help us to improve, or show us that our efforts are noticed, your are particularly rewarding, as they spoke of cleanliness and good service. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stay in a lot if hotels alone on business,this is one that I was glad to not be alone. The rooms have an outdoor entry and a small balcony with a sliding door as well. To get to the room on the 2nd floor was a pain. The hotel did not have a lot of guest but our room was in a back building. Th hotel complex has several. The room is very outdated. We arrived after dark and left before the morning sun which mat have been a benefit for us.The room was clean not spotless but in sunshine it may have been worse. The pastel yellow tub brought back memories of the 1970's.

The front desk staff was congenial and our wake up call was on time. We did not eat breakfast because we had an early flight.at the airport which is right next to the hotel within walking distance!

If you are looking for a convenient hotel by the airport, then this may be the place for you. I really don't think I would stay again.

Room Tip: The airport is not too busy so don't worry about a lot of noise from it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PamelaSueB

While it is heartening that we handled the basics of keeping our property clean and handled the service issues well, I am sorry that we may not be seeing you again. We do also have a separate suites building, more modern than our exterior rooms. Perhaps that may be more of what you are looking for. I hope that you will give us another look when staying again in the area.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Went there for the kids to stay over and swim before school starts. Well the pics on the website did not say pool being demolished. Told to go to owners other hotel 1 mile away well the pictures do not tell a true story very bad area and staff was rude so after 2 hour journey we went to the doubltree on 202 had a great time makes sense to pay more and enjoy

• Stayed: September 2013

My apologies to you. We did have a notice on the website that noted that our pool was closed for the season, and I apologize that it was not more prominent. Regarding the staff response, I am especially disappointed, as it is one area that we tend to get our best remarks. I will be certain to make sure that all our staff understand that while we may not be the newest property around, having a clean room and offering exemplary service is what will set us apart from even newer properties.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

When I began traveling for business in 1990, all hotels looked like this. Cheaply veneered MDF furniture, cheap wall sconce lamps, heavy TV, crunchy carpet, cheap bathroom door, pastel colored tub, exterior entry door, etc. The bathroom was clean with freakishly shiny ceramic tile floor. The toilet took forever to flush.The bed was weirdly tiny with a very lumpy mattress. Huge pool, but no water in it (??)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

I would like to thank you for your comments, as it helps us to see our property through the eyes of our guests. We have begun our refresh program, with recently changing out our carpeting and draperies, as well as changing out televisions to flat screen. As can be imagined, quite an expense. Our next step is to refresh the hardgood furniture items. I hope that should you visit again, that we will have that in place for you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Castle
Quality Inn Newark
#17 of 24 in Newark
Best Western Plus Newark/Christiana Inn
Comfort Inn & Suites Carney's Point

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle? Share your experiences!