“Terrible Customer Service. Rude Front Desk Help.”
Review of Travel Inn

Travel Inn
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in New Castle
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Terrible Customer Service. Rude Front Desk Help.”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I called the hotel and spoke to the manager/front desk clerk the day before my reservation start date to change the room type (I wanted 2-beds instead of 1). I had a difficult time making this change and the clerk kept insisting that I give my home address over the phone to make the requested change. I thought this was odd; he said it was to verify my identity for CC purposes. I had booked through Orbitz.com and said that he wouldn’t have this information yet anyway so why did he need it over the phone? I felt hassled and thought about cancelling my reservation at that moment but didn’t. The next day, the day I was supposed to check in, I wanted to cancel but didn’t want to call the hotel back because I didn’t want to speak to the same clerk again. I called Orbitz.com and was told I didn’t need to call the hotel to cancel since their policy was that I wouldn’t be charged if I didn’t check in. The next day, I checked my banking info and saw a charge from the hotel. I called the hotel and spoke to someone (not the difficult manager/clerk) and I was told that it was a mistake, that since I hadn’t checked in then I wouldn’t be charged and he would pass that to the manager and reverse the charge. Weeks later and the charge hadn't been reversed. I called the hotel again and unfortunately, spoke to the manager, and he said I wasn’t told that I wouldn’t be charged (basically saying the second clerk I spoke to lied) and that Orbitz.com was wrong and that he wouldn't reverse the charge. Frankly, the hotel manager/front desk clerk is the most difficult, rude and unpleasant customer service rep I’ve ever dealt with and I will never stay at another Econo Lodge. Do not stay here. Do not even book a reservation here because you will feel hassled if you need to call and change it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Canada
Reviewed April 21, 2012

If were had not been so exhausted we would have not stayed. I did not sleep well, and kept checking the door and trying to keep the curtains covering any part of the window that could be looked in when the lights were on. First glance it was clean but NOTHING like they show in the pictures. We were glad to pack up as soon as we woke the next morning. We did NOT take our luggage inside, just in case.

Room Tip: Don't do it.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank makerofdreams1
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a week. 2 days ago I noticed bites showing up all over my body. I asked to switch rooms.. the guy at the front desk said I would have to wait until the next day. It's 4am I am tired and have to work 12 hours tomorrow. I can't sleep because I itch so bad. Someone please shoot me.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank marshalllee
Phillipsburg
Reviewed August 28, 2007

So we were on our way to Williamsburg, VA and due to some VERY heavy traffic around Philly on I-95 we got into DE very late and by 11:30 pm my son and I were both very tired so I was looking for some place to sleep quickly. We tried the Super 8 first but they were booked so we drove across the street to the Econo Lodge. The desk clerk (in both places by the way) sit behind bullet proof glass and there's a sign that says "No Hoodies." Hmmm do I smell high crime area? I was so tired I didn't want to risk driving too much further so I took a room. The bed was comfortable, but other than that, I wouldn't walk barefoot on the carpet as it was so dirty/greasy, and the bathroom was pretty stank too. We slept a few hours and checked out. I did get a free cup of coffee at check out. When I got back on the road, I realized if I'd driven 10-15 more minutes I could've gotten my choice of much cleaner accomodations. If you're going thru this area or flying out...drive the extra 10 minutes.

Stayed August 2007
#4 of 24 in Newark
Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington Christiana
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Wilmington-Newark

Been to Travel Inn? Share your experiences!