“God help you if you go on Valentine's Day”

Casablanca Moraccan Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 131 Restaurants in New Castle
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Philadelphia
“God help you if you go on Valentine's Day”
Reviewed February 15, 2009

My boyfriend and I have being going to Casablanca for about a year now, probably about once a month. Let me stress that the 7 course meal at Casablanca is what I'd choose to be my "last meal". Its consistantly mouthwateringly delicious, authentic, and ridiculously satisying as well as a good deal (HOWEVER, as you'll hear later, prices have apparently gone up. Now 25 per person. Still a good deal.) We love the elaborate decor and the bellydancers, but the service MUST be called out. When Casablanca is not crowded (the ideal time to go) the service runs well enough; there is one guy in particular that my boyfriend and I are almost chummy with. But when it gets crowded, the service is downright abysmal, worst I've ever encountered.
Case in point-Valentine's Day. May I suggest to potential Casablanca goers to -not- go on a holiday, or gee, even a saturday in the peak hours. If you make a reservation, it may or may not be honored. We made our res. for 7pm...finally got seated at 8. It was maybe 20 minutes later when we finally grabbed someone to start serving us. 3-hours-later we finally left, without the tea to finish the meal (it was still brewing, we were told. we weren't waiting). The icing on the cake was that when we got the bill, we were mildly shocked to see that prices had gone up, without anyone telling us. For the longest time it had been 20 per plus mandatory gratuity, but on our bills each dinner was now 25 per, plus built in gratuity. SIGH. So we had to pay even more for the lousy experience.
And it wasn't just us; complaints were loud and varied all across the restaurant.
Pardon me, but even last-meal worthy food won't save that night from being an utter disappointment. We will eventually go back...we really can't resist the food...but never again on a saturday.

A note about the food- its a set menu, 7 courses. Go to their website for a full description of the courses. If you like spicy food, make sure to request the spicy chicken- DELICIOUS. and we always prefer the lamb to the beef.
Please do go to Casablanca..really, its amazing. But be prudent about deciding WHEN to go.

2 Thank LaChatteNoire

“Also in Philadelphia!!!”
Reviewed March 9, 2008

Also in Philadelphia!!!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“If you can get past the...”
Reviewed March 2, 2008

If you can get past the somewhat overdone decor, and "see" into the dimly lit room, the food and service were actually excellent. Of course we went on a weekday night, and so perhaps the one person doing everything may be a bit overstretched when they have more customers. Its a pre-fix menu, 7 course meal, with veggie and meat options for each course. And it really was yummy! Go on a weekend, and you can also see belly dancing...although looking at some of the pics on the wall.....not sure if this is a desirable thing or not :)

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great place for a date or a large group of friends. The meals are fresh and exotic to some. The eggplant salad and...”
Reviewed February 12, 2008

Great place for a date or a large group of friends. The meals are fresh and exotic to some. The eggplant salad and bastilla are my favorites. This is a sit down 7 course eat with your hands restaurants. Live bellydancing also.