“Not impressed” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jessop's Tavern

Jessop's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Jessop's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 130 Restaurants in New Castle
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Jessop's proudly specializes in Belgian Beers. We carry over 300 bottles and 21 drafts.
Wilmington, Delaware
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I stopped in for an early Sunday dinner, as the cafe we like up the street was closed for a few days. I did not care for the dark, low ceiling and depressing atmosphere. I realize it is supposed to be a colonial experience, but I did not care for it at all.
Our table was dirty, had sticky food all over it, the service was friendly enough, but very, very slow. The food was practically inedible. We both ordered the Pilgrim's feast and it was so heavily salted that I could hardly choke it down. The glassware (both times) was not clean and I thought the menu was very limited and rather expensive. All of the appetizers and sandwiches were as much as most of the entrees. The next day, I had horrible stomach pains, I will not go back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bayahibe2

New Castle, Delaware
“Old Country Charm.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I have been eating at this place for years. It is a quaint little place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the world. The entrees are based on New Castle's heritage. So come in and try some Dutch, English, and Swedish dishes.

• Visited December 2012
Smyrna, Delaware
“T.G.I. not a Chain!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

So glad we checked out this quaint little spot in Olde New Castle! It was my turn to pick the restaurant for date night and hubby was impressed...yeah. They lit a Real Candle on the table and the serveware was pewter, our wine bottle was chilled in earthenware reminscent of days gone by. The menu said the building was constructed in the 17th century, which is so cool. Colin enjoyed the Elysian Maelstrom Blood Orange Ale which was on tap, he had Fish N Chips and I had the Chicken Pot Pie. Wasn't as blown away by my dish, but probably because it isn't something I would normally order/like anyway (was trying to be adventurous). Still, overall experience was very enjoyable, and we plan to visit again.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Elmer, New Jersey
“Steady Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Authentic colonial atmosphere from the 18th century interior to the costumed waitstaff, pewter place settings, music, etc. Everything on the menu is excellent, pot roast, sheperds pie, pilgrims feast (turkey, stuffing & all the trimmings) and on weekends great prime rib. The draft beer selection is constantly rotating, about 10 taps, always a dogfish & twin lakes offering. Great place for a romantic dinner or group of friends. Park a few blocks away & enjoy a walk thru Old New Castle

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Joe P
Lake Telemark, NJ
“A step back in time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I heard rumors about the pot roast . Now, I am usually vegetarian but my evil twin forced me to order it. OMG it was spectacular. The atmosphere, staff costumes and service were quite good and my evil twin is trying to get me back there!

1 Thank telemarkJane