“Loved the atmosphere!”
Review of Jessop's Tavern

Jessop's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Jessop's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 131 Restaurants in New Castle
Cuisines: American, Swedish, Dutch
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Jessop's proudly specializes in Belgian Beers. We carry over 300 bottles and 21 drafts.
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We recently had a small family celebration at Jessop's Tavern. The atmosphere was charming, just a fun break from the usual restaurants. Our waitress was attentive and fun. The food was a bit slow in coming but that was okay, we enjoyed our family time, when the food came everything was very good. We will definitely go back.

There are newer reviews for Jessop's Tavern

Reviewed September 16, 2012

My sister, brother-in-law and I went here last night about 7:15 Pm. As I walked in the host asked if I had reservations and I said no do I need them and he said yeah you probably should. So I said three people and gave him my name. he then said are you ready to be seated now and I said yes and he said ok follow me. What????
So we got seated and about ten minutes the waitress came over and got our drink order. My brother-in-law asked if they had Harp and she said no and asked if we had a beer menu. We said no and then she went away to find it. After awhile she came back we picked our drinks and away she went. Finally she got back to us and got our drinks and order. When our entrees arrived she also delivered the bread. Isn't that supposed to be served before you get your entries?
I ordered the pot roast with mashed potatoes and gravy. It was good but a little too much salt. The gravy was thick and hearty and the mashed potatoes very good. The veggies were mostly carrots and over cooked. My sister had the salmon topped with crab meat which she said was very good and my brother had the traditional turkey dinner and there wasn't one thing left on his plate so I assume that it was good. We didn't get out of the place till 8:45 which is way too long to serve three people when the place was not that busy.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We were excited about having lunch here after visiting the Read House in Old New Castle. The restaurant has a wonderful Colonial ambiance in keeping with the charm of Old New Castle. It is in a historic house and the staff dress in 18th century clothing. That is where the charm ends.

Noticed the table next to ours needed to be cleaned when we sat down. Also noticed another patron pick up her fork, look at it, set it down and take a clean fork from another table. Probably should have left then but we were hungry and the menu looked wonderful. The way it is written and the entrees - pot pies, fish and chips, Shepherd's pie - made us think we were actually going to get a wonderful home style cooked meal. Not so. Everything in this restaurant obviously comes in either frozen or canned and is just reheated. My husband ordered the Shepherd's pie. When he cut into it the center was still frozen. Not just luke warm but frozen. He tried to get the attention of the waitress and finally had to take it up to the bar. When he told the waitress standing at the bar the situation her response was, "I'm not surprised." I got the fish and chips. It was okay but it was obvious the wedge pototoes were frozen and out of a bag and they were just barely warm and mealy. The waitress offered malt vinegar and I said I would like some but it took her almost 10 minutes to return to the table. And there was only one other table in the entire restaurant. Gordon Ramsey, where are you?

3  Thank Madamqueen
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The costumed staff, the setting, the menu choices and the location in Old New Castle take you back in time when you visit Jessop's Tavern

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stopped by here after an afternoon at the Old Dutcha nd Amstel Houses and were very glad we did. Costumed host and waitresses in colonial era attire plus the tavern is a 18th Century historical building were great and add a great selection of food and ale. It was a great meal and lots of fun! Service was great and food was slightly more expensive than it should have been but hey, its historical New Castle and well worth it for the ambiance. You wont be disappointed!