“Hidden Gem”

Sheraton Wilmington South
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in New Castle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel is beautiful. From the time you walk in and register to the moment you open the door to your room, it is beautiful. The huge open atrium in the middle of the hotel is perfect for enjoying a cup of coffee, getting a bite to eat or catching up with colleagues. I digress...let me start with the first impression....the registration desk. Everyone who I interacted with at the desk was helpful, polite, courteous and knowledgeable. They addressed me by name after viewing my reservation (I was lucky to stay for 3 nights) and gave me a room on the Starwood Preferred Members floor. I booked a junior suite and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of space in the suite. The decor immediately made me feel at home. The room was spotless.

The bed made it very difficult to adhere to my 5:45am wake up call. It is amazingly comfortable. The bathroom amenities were standard and the wet bar with microwave, fridge, coffee maker, sink and free bottled water was a nice touch.

As a conference attendee, there were a few hiccups like extremes in room temperature, but they were quickly addressed. The rooms were spacious and the ballroom was big enough to accommodate all of the conference attendees with plenty of elbow room to spare. The food was great and plentiful. I ordered room service for breakfast and while I was happy that they were early rather than late, I would have liked for my food to be a little warmer. Also, the food selection in The Wilmington Grille for the breakfast buffet was mediocre to average but the customer service was outstanding.

My request for late check-out was granted without a fuss and check out was a breeze. I'm looking forward to returning to the hotel for a leisurely trip.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Dustin R, Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Thank you Team Castro for your review and feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed all we have to offer, from our spacious Junior Suite to our knowledgeable team, and let’s not forget about our award winning Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed. We aim to please, and are happy you to the opportunity to experience our hotel. In addition, we have looked into the feedback you provided during the conference you were attending, and the concern is being addressed. We hope the next time your conference chooses our location; you are able to attend with comfortable temperature settings.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

Recently stayed at this wonderful hotel while visiting attractions in the area.
The hotel is very convenient to the DuPont estates as well as the Art museum.
A very large shopping center is nearby.Remember no State Tax in Delaware!
We were upgraded to the Club floor with an Executive Room.
The room was beautiful,large and very comfortable having a sitting area with its own Tv and a separate king sized bedroom with another TV
The bathroom was huge.
The Club Floor offered both a very nice breakfast and evening snacks.
As travel agents we would certainly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get upgraded to the Club Floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you Bradyboy2 for your review. It sounds like you stayed in one of our Club Level Deluxe Suites. We are happy to hear you enjoyed to two room suite and 24-hour access to the Sheraton Club. Our Sheraton Club is a wonderful amenity, not only for our frequent Platinum business travelers, but for our leisure guests who enjoy the convenience before they embark on the activities they have scheduled for the day. It is great that you were able to enjoy so many of the wonderful local attractions and we hope to see you soon for your next trip to the Wilmington area.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

From booking the reservation to checkout, the hotel was great. Customer service was quite good, the food was good, and the meeting rooms used were comfortable, spacious, and served the purposes for our meeting. I was able to book one of 2 rooms available after the group block was full. The reservations agent got me a rate for an excellent suite just $11 above the conference rate! The courtesy van pick up by Taron (who I later saw at the front desk) was superb. Front desk agents Taron, Abha, and Emily were extremely helpful every time I had questions. Evidence of prior repairs after some ceiling leaks in my room and some other places in the hotel were completed, but still noticeable. My only complaint is that the reservations agent told me that my card would be charged for the full price at the time of reservation. I expected that to have been done, as the email confirmation stated the same thing. However, that was not the case and I thought I saw that it was; I mistakenly thought I saw the charge against my account. My debit card ended up being authorized for nearly double the amount of the actual charges. This caused some confusion at check-in, especially since I was sharing a room. My roommate (who was added to the registry at the time of reservation) was delayed for quite some time when she arrived; perhaps as much as 15 minutes before I arrived. Of course, the overage amount of the authorization was credited back to my account in a reasonable amount of time; it was mostly an inconvenience. Overall, I was well pleased with my stay.

Room Tip: The King suite that I had could comfortably sleep 4 adults and had a complimentary sink, microwave o...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

WandaS2404, thank you for your review and feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the conference you attended and were comfortable in one of our spacious meeting rooms. I am sorry to hear that there was confusion at the time of check in with a pre-paid reservation, along with the maintenance issue you shared. I do hope that one of our skilled guest service agents was able to remedy these concerns in a timely manner to ensure your peace of mind throughout the remainder of your stay. If there were any other comments or feedback you wish to share, please do hesitate to give me a call directly at the hotel.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Beds are very comfortable. Facility is very nice. We were not there for a conference, but it looks like an excellent place for one. Restaurant is convenient, with good food.
Location is good or bad depending your viewpoint. It is isolated, with no nearby neighbors. You need to drive anywhere. But, it has fewer distractions. It is hard to find coming from the North. There is no sign for "Airport Road" at a critical intersection where missing that turn leads you to I-95.
I would like complimentary coffee in the lobby or grill. I have a coffee maker in the room, but that's a hassle before I have my first coffee of the day. (A conundrum for sure)
Staff is very good. All in all, I would recommend it

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you Paul_from_VA for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our quietly located hotel and our onsite restaurant. Our Wilmington Grille serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. In addition, our spacious meeting rooms that you noticed have catering offered for any meal. Should any of our guests wish to try any of the other great local restaurants; we also have a complimentary shuttle that runs within a 5-mile radius of the hotel. Coming from the south, we are directly located right off the exit ramp of exit 5 off I95. When coming from the north, if you are not familiar with the area, we are conveniently located off exit 5A and airport road is the first traffic light you come to directly after the I95 on ramp. We hope that the next time your travels bring you to the Wilmington area again; you have an easier time locating us.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Spent the weekend at a conference held at the Sheraton Wilmington South, New Castle, DE. The hotel staff made this the most enjoyable hotel experience I've ever had. The food was excellent and every aspect of customer service was at a very high-level. The bed was very comfortable. Close to Phil, Wilmington Amtrak station and one exit from the Christiana Mall and tax-free shopping. Ihighly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the wetlands.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank garrison23

Garrison3, we are so glad to hear you had such an enjoyable conference with us. We are conveniently located to Philadelphia, Wilmington, Newark and the Christiana Mall for tax free shopping. We hope that you were able to enjoy some or all of these local attractions during your free time from the conference. If not, we would love to see you again so you can experience everything the Wilmington area has to offer.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I arrived at the Sheraton Wilmington late in the evening with young children and the staff was very unfriendly. After arriving in our room my son was climbing into bed and noticed something wet under his pillow. It was an opened condom wrapper with prophylatic lubricant. I went to the front desk and they offered me 2 complimentary breakfasts. Even though I had checked in 3 people to the room. They moved us to the room next to it which only had 1 bed. I originally had 2 queen beds. I asked housekeeping in the morning to go in the room to see if they had cleaned it. After walking in the room it looked clean and I lifted the pillow up and noticed the bed sheets were never cleaned, but the bed was just made up. I was completely disgusted! And not to mention the soap and shampoo was missing from the original room. It was the worst experience I had ever had at a hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Amy1105
Dustin R, Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Thank you Amy1105 for sharing your concerns with us in regards to your past stay. It has been several months since we last spoke regarding the concerns you brought to our attention. We were under the impression that you were satisfied with the resolution provided at that time. If there is still cause for concern that you wish to discuss with us, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at the hotel. Our number one goal is to ensure that all of our guests have an exceptional stay and are taken care of if there is any opportunity for improvement. We hope that we can provide closure and show you why our guests consider us the best hotel in the New Castle/Wilmington area.

Yours in hospitality,
Dustin Ruiz
Director of Rooms

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Although this property is a bit isolated it offers good value and comfortable accommodations. The hotel is friendly and well run, rooms are clean and well appointed and the facility in general is above average.

The only drawback is that the property is a good 10 minute drive to civilization...which does not present a problem if you have a vehicle, if not...you will need to make do with what is at the hotel.

Room Tip: club floor .....rear of hotel,,,
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Thank you Traveledbefore for sharing with us your experience. We are conveniently located directly off of I-95 between the Wilmington Waterfront to our north, and the University of Delaware to the south. In addition, only minutes away from the Christiana Mall for tax free shopping and New Castle County airport which now offers commercial flights. Anyone one of our superior guest service agents will be able to give door to door directions to all of the top attractions that our area has to offer. We look forward to seeing you on your next stay with us.

Yours in hospitality,

Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington Christiana
The Westin Wilmington
The Westin Wilmington
#6 of 13 in Wilmington

Been to Sheraton Wilmington South? Share your experiences!