“One of the nicest hotels in Wilmington area”

Sheraton Wilmington South
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in New Castle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 23, 2013

This is a full service hotel so its not cheap. The staff is trained to be professional and everyone is very accommodating. They have one of the largest pools I've seen in any hotel and their fitness center is spacious with excellent equipment, available 24 hours a day. The rooms are very well appointed and the bed was wonderfully comfortable.

While not a game changer it is curious that such a fine hotel didn't take into consideration more design elements, especially within the bathroom of the suites. For example the shower door should open into the room rather than into a small space between the toilet and a wall. Its a simple matter of changing the hinge on the door that would be more accommodating. And why isn't there a towel rack near the shower? Instead, the towels are stored under the vanity, almost 10 feet away. It's curious also why they should place the complimentary shampoo and conditioner in the jacuzzi rather than in the shower? And what were these people thinking when they mounted the toilet paper more than an arm's length from the toilet?

Overall, its a nice hotel, close to the airport with easy access from the highway, although several miles from most other activities, shopping, and restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Wilmington South

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I booked at this hotel going because High-Speed Internet was an listed amenity on the booking site. Come to find out that the Free was only limited to 512 MBS Upload and Download...esentially a dial up speed. There was an up charge to get True High Speed 1MBS Upload and Download. This is essentially duping and false advertising. I could barely check my email anything else required 30 minutes for the webpage to load and update !!!!
Also the bathroom shower curtains were not clean. The front desk agent tried to use check me into a reservation with the same Last Name. Had to correct her and make sure my AMEX info did not get put into the other person's reservation. Overall, the property has potential, but management needs to improve.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jdnola2013
Dustin R, Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you Jdnola2013 for your feedback. We apologize that our complimentary internet did not meet your expectations. As you stated, we offer complimentary internet at a speed of 512KB up and down. As an additional amenity we offer the option to purchase additional bandwidth of 1.5MB up and down. This additional bandwidth is also something we offer as a complimentary amenity to our guests who have earned Platinum status with Starwood Preferred Guest. We hope that as you continue to travel, you choose Starwood Hotels for your accommodations and you too could earn Platinum status and enjoy this wonderful amenity.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

I was very impressed with the nice attitude from the staff. They look so nice in their hotel attire. The room was very clean and smelled good.The beds are very, very comfy. The decor is nice. The location of the hotel is great because of easy access to the highway.I would recommend this hotel to all of my family & friends if they are in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed December 3, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the Sheraton Wilmington South on a recent trip to visit the University of Delaware. The hotel was beautiful, the staff was great. But there were a few problems, first of all, the room was infested with ladybugs. They were everywhere. The hotel did offer to change our room but then we discovered, ladybugs are a problem in a lot of rooms. So we just had housekeeping come and vacuum them up We should have changed rooms. Later that night, we found out our neighbors were attending a wedding at the hotel. The guests next door were very young and after the wedding was over the party went to their room. We were good sports about the extreme noise until the wrestling and fighting began! Banging on the wall didn't help. I had to call the front desk SEVERAL times before the fighting was addressed. Finally the noise stopped and we sleep great. I don't blame the hotel for the noise or the actions of their guest. I do think they should have acted earlier to curtail the noise. I also left an iphone charger in my room. I called the hotel the next day and was promised a call back within an hour. I am still waiting for the phone call. I understand if the charger is lost but someone could have followed up to say they couldn't find it. Even though the hotel was lovely, I am not sure I will ever stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Christine T
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Driving from Atlanta to NY during a winter storm Thanksgiving week forced a last minute need for a hotel. Turned out to be a great decision. Enjoyed the room, the fitness center, restaurant, and the great service. They offer a free and pay (faster) WIFI, but the free was fast enough for our needs. The freeway was a bit loud, but it was really helpful that the hotel was so convenient to I-95, especially as when we arrived it was dark and raining. Very convenient to get to Philly also.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 28, 2013

My family and I were recently displaced during the holidays and had to stay in a hotel for a short period while our home was being repaired. From the minute we entered the property, each member of the staff was extremely accomadating and was very sensitive to our situation, especially Abha who went above and beyond to make this difficult time so much better. She went the extra mile to make sure that our stay was as comfortable as possible. The property itself is fairly new and the rooms are spacious and well appointed. We had everything we needed to make what should have been a stressful time into a joyful getaway!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We recently stayed at the hotel(403) for just one night. We called the 800# to book & confirm room since we were traveling with another adult & needed a suite with a sofa bed. Quoted one rate & room but when arrived wrong "suite" was booked and up charged to a larger suite :( Did allow us to check in early as we had a surprise bday for my mom who lives in Wilm.
Suite was nicely appointed (minor /major settlement cracks -3-in ceiling in living room, bathroom)
NOISE from freeway was UNBEARABLE did not sleep much !! Bed was comfy (not as comfy as. Heavenly bed) and loved the linens. Made comment at desk in am, with not much reaction.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Hotel du Pont
Hotel du Pont
#2 of 13 in Wilmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Downtown Wilmington - Legal District

Been to Sheraton Wilmington South? Share your experiences!