“Disappointing Sheraton”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Disappointing Sheraton”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I travel frequently for my job and I've stayed in 6 hotels in the past month. This Sheraton was not the least expensive of the six but it was the least pleasant room.
First, it was the only room without a refrigerator. Second, the bathroom had no vanity, just a small sink with absolutely no room to put even a tube of toothpaste. I had to put my things along the edge of the tub. Third, the AC fan was incredibly loud. I like white noise but this was like a jet engine. The room looked nice but it just didn't have the comforts that a room of this price should have. Bed was comfortable and staff were nice but I won't be back.

• Stayed April 2013
Jeremy C, General Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear "abspottay",
Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay with us. I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations during your visit. It sounds like you reserved and stayed in one of wheel chair accessible rooms which have less furniture in the bathroom to allow a guest room to manuever. Also, 75% of our rooms are Junior Suites and Deluxe Suites which have a wet bar with a refrigerator and microwave inside. I understand you not wanting to return, however I would welcome the opportunity to exceed your expecations if given another chance!

Jeremy C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
MD Suburbs, DC
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I booked a King room here for one night. The front desk personnel were very warm and professional, and the fact that they gave me an upgrade without even asking for it tipped me off that I was going to be in for a good experience. I believe this property had been vacant for a while, but you would have never known that. It looks like a fairly new hotel. It has an open atrium, with the bar in the middle, and the restaurant off to one side. My room was very clean and spacious. My only real complaint is that, as the room was dark in color (lots of dark browns), it would have been nice to have a bit more lighting in there. I usually don't sleep well in hotels, but the bed was extremely comfortable. The bar had great service, but the prices seemed to be a little high, given the location. Had breakfast in the restaurant, and the service was excellent, and the food was good, with a good portion size. A suggestion - they should have signs or something clearly showing that they do not offer a free continental breakfast, or, in the alternative, post a sign stating the buffet prices, so people would get the subtle hint. the location is right off of I-95 and is VERY easy to access if you're heading north; southbound travelers may need to traverse a little bit to reach it. But, it's pretty much in the middle of a marsh, so there's not much (other than I-95) around it, thus making it kind of an odd location. But, all in all, I would DEFINITELY recommend this property, and the management should be commended on training and maintaining their staff.

Room Tip: Request away from highway.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Jeremy C, General Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear "ricport",
As a "Senior Reviewer" with tripadvisor, I appreciate your feedback as someone who has experienced many Hotels. I believe you made some excellent judgements and suggestions for us as we constantly look for ways to improve our guests' experience. Our location is unique which also provides wonderful views of the wetlands from our guest rooms and outside terrace. We would love to be given an opportunity to provide you with an excellent experience again in the future!

South Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I travel to Wilmington, DE several times a year for work. Generally I stay at a few different properties closer to my work location but after a recent disappointing experience I decided to try something new. I have been missing out! I had to seriously nitpick to figure out a couple of cons for my stay.

Pros: The customer service was fantastic. The thoughtfulness of the room layout and amenities was surprising. As a frequent business traveler it is rare that I find a hotel one step ahead of my needs - and this one was at all times.

Cons: It's in New Castle, DE which means I don't have a reason to travel there except work. I ordered room service (Fried Calamari) and it came with a flavored mayo instead of marinara as indicated on the menu.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Connecticut
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We booked this hotel at the last minute as we were driving back to New England from a trip down south. We had decided to drive until we were tired and book a hotel wherever we happened to be. As luck would have it, we were near Wilmington, Delaware when we wanted to stop and we ended up the Sheraton Wilmington South. We arrived late (after 10:30) and we were thrilled when we were upgraded to a king suite at check-in. We were tired from a long day, so the upgrade really made our day. The room was gorgeous! Our teenage daughters slept on the sofa bed and we had the king bed to ourselves. The large bathroom had a two person jacuzzi tub and a separate shower with lots of nice toiletry samples. The king bed and bedding was heavenly and we slept soundly. The lobby has an atrium with lots of nice seating and glass elevators that let you look out over the lobby. The pool was very large and looked inviting, but we didn't have time to use it. The staff at check-in were all very courteous. Thanks for giving these weary travelers such a nice pampered stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jeremy C, General Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear "ConnecticutStrider",
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your long journey home. Since we are conveniently located adjacent 95, we feel we make a great resting spot for a trip along the Northeast corridor. I hope our pampering allowed you to enjoy the final leg of your ride home. See you on your next long drive!

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We celebrated my husband's Grandfathers 90th birthday here in Novemeber 2012..We had family drive and fly in from all over the country..and had an absolutely lovely time..from young to old we really really had a nice time..the rooms were very spacious, clean and comfy. The kids loved loved the pool, our friends and family used the fitness center, the Club Floor Lounge was GREAT..the service and food was awesome. We even went to the casino which was just an exit away..our GP really enjoyed it..for us younger folks well we thought the casino could used lots of updating and have been to better ones..but for a 90 yrs young gent it was just fine.
I really cannot say anything negative about this hotel. Looking at this place from the outside and its location you wouldn't think how nice it is inside..I would recommend this place and if ever needed a place to overnight while going up north this is where I will be staying. We have lots of pics and will post once I get a chance..great memories..Thanks Sheraton Wilmington!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Amston, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Everything was wonderful at our stay at the Sheraton. We came down to breakfast and had a great experience, the staff is excellent! Jeby and Sean were both great and very professional and hospitable. Great hotel! Keep up the good work.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jeremy C, General Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear "Simeon S",
Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay with us. I will be sure to share your great comments regarding your breakfast experience with Sean and Jeby. We strive to provide a great experience and love to hear we are succeeding.

New Jersey
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Wilmington South with a group. The hotel is very nice. The sleeping rooms are comfortable, nicely appointed and clean. We really liked that there were electrical outlets in numerous, convenient places, even on the sides of the table between the beds, making it easy to charge a cell phone and still have it near you. The bed was extremely comfortable, making for a great night's sleep.

The ony negative with respect to the room is the lighting. There was no place where the lighting was good for a woman to put on makeup. There was a magnifying mirror in the bathroom, but the lighting was very dull.

The hotel staff we encountered were very pleasant and professional.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Jeremy C, General Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear "ArcheryFamily-NJ",
Thank you (and your group) for selecting our Hotel to host your event. I am happy you were able to take advantage of the many convenience outlets that are available. We will certainly take a look at possible options to enhance the bathroom lighting. Can't wait to see you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Castle
Hotel du Pont
Hotel du Pont
#2 of 13 in Wilmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Downtown Wilmington - Legal District

Been to Sheraton Wilmington South? Share your experiences!