“Amazing little gem kind of in the middle of nowhere”

Sheraton Wilmington South
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in New Castle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Actually it's right off of 95N but it's all by itself. Travelling alone this time it creeped me out just a little bit...but when I got to the hotel it was really one of the very best Sheraton's I've stayed at (belong to starwood hotels so I stay at them all the time). Marcel checked me in with such personality and respect...he even came out from behind the desk to give me a visual tour of the (very large) lobby. For some reason they upgraded me to a Junior Suite...SCORE! That was truly awesome. The pool and fitness center are spectacular. Nice job on this one!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Jeremy C, General Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear debbmm-

Thank you for staying with us at the Sheraton Wilmington South! I would agree, our property is quite the gem! We are directly located off of Airport Rd, which does seem distant from other civilization, but luckily we are close to many Fortune 500 companies, the Christiana Mall, and more!
I am very glad to hear that Marcel exemplified superior hospitality, and I will pass that compliment along to him. We are very glad you enjoyed the Junior Suite and all the amenities we have to offer!
Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I had driven by this hotel for years while it stood empty for convoluted reasons which you can google. It was nice when I finally stayed here to see it alive with people and activity. I knew from the reviews it was tricky to get to so I mapped it ahead of time but still failed at first. Pay close attention and you can find it! When I left to head over the Delaware Memorial Bridge I just skipped the whole 95/295 thing and took the longer but simpler route to 13 and then to 295 which was less stressful.
I had a nice, brief stay so I didn't use too many of the facilities. The front desk was very busy when I checked in but still very friendly. They have a little "store" with food and drinks by the front desk.
I like a good view but didn't realize the hotel was V-shaped so I did not ask for an exterior view which I should have. Bed was great. Suite was not huge but very comfortable. It was designed like a lot of the Embassy Suites and had a little sink where the counter, coffee maker, fridge and microwave are. It was all very functional and bed and linens were great.

Room Tip: If you like to open your curtains ask for an exterior view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Dear Nemokota-
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Sheraton Wilmington South! I would agree, it has been a shame that this building has stood vacant for so many years, but we are very glad to have been open now for over a year!
We appreciate your brief but enjoyable stay with us! It sounds like you were in a Junior Suite, which are spacious in comparison to our standard rooms, but I would absolutely suggest the Deluxe Suite next time, it is almost double the size of a standard room with a jacuzzi, french doors, 2 LCD TV's, and much more!
Thank you again for staying with us, and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Last minute booking for Christmas - this brand new reno property (1yr old I believe) was perfectly central, perfectly modern, and all the right ammenities. Honored points and upgraded me to the suite. We used the Gym, the Pool, and the Restaurant- and loved the very friendly and warm staff.

We even had to utilize the pull-out couch for an added guest, and the hotel was very amazing and accomodating to our every request. You made our stay for the holidays very memorable. I will definitely stay here again, and highly recommend to anyone traveling for business/personal. It's right by I-95/ the Mall/ Convenience Stores, etc. And it's like an oasis facing Churchman's marsh with no other buidling adjutting. Very very nice!

Thank you, Sheraton team. A+

Room Tip: King Suites are huge, separate living area from bedroom and fantastic spa bathroom with soaking spa...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Jeremy C, General Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Dear Dawn S-
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Sheraton Wilmington South over your Christmas holiday! We are glad you enjoyed all the amenities of our hotel and that you found not only the hotel, but its location to be suitable and enjoyable for yourself!
Even though we are a new property, we added another amenity in the pull out sofa beds in our Deluxe Suites, we are glad you noticed them!
Thank you so much for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

First off, the staff at the Sheraton Wilmington South are wonderful. They accommodated our need for at late check-out and were a pleasure to interact with. The room we were given was beautiful and clean, but unfortunately was very loud. We could hear our neighbors talking and watching TV, and could hear the elevator noise easily. Additionally, the room was equipped as handicap accessible, but the mechanism that held the shower wand to the wall was broken, so it could only be positioned at waist height. Of course, that is probably not a hotel-wide problem. We ordered dessert room service which was delicious.

Overall, I would recommend staying at this hotel, but remember to bring earplugs!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Jeremy C, General Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Dear kalanchoe612-
Thank you very much for staying at the Sheraton Wilmington South!
I am very glad to hear that you loved our staff at our property, they are what breathes life into a hotel! I apologize that your experience in your room did not meet your satisfaction, it is not acceptable.
Typically we place guests who have handicap needs in handicap rooms, and if you did not require those amenities, we try the best to accommodate you in another room. I am sorry that did not happen. In the event of any discomfort in your room accommodations, please reach out to our Front Office team, they are very willing to make sure you have the best experience possible!
Again I am sorry that your experience with us wasn't the best as possible, and I sincerely hope you choose to stay with us again so we can become your preferred hotel of choice in the Delaware area!

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I loved staying at this hotel. I stayed in the suite which was absolutely fabulous! Very spacious, comfortable bed, and a quite room. In addition to staying at the hotel I also planned my wedding here. I worked with Fiona who was a dream to work with. The entire staff was friendly and accommodating to our wedding needs. They have everything you need to plan a wedding in house, which made planning a wedding in 2 months a breeze. The food here was Excellent, from the catering services to brunch to happy hour- loved it all! Everyone who attended the wedding enjoyed it. The hotel just offers such a peaceful and relaxing presence. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Sheraton and will be back for my anniversary.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Cherish R-
Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Wilmington South!
We are very happy to have accommodated you in one of our amazing suites. And congratulations on your wedding! We are thrilled to help plan and host your wedding at our property, it is quite the place to have the wedding of your dreams!
We are glad that you enjoyed staying with us and having your wedding here as well! We look forward to seeing you on your anniversary!

Reviewed December 18, 2012

This hotel was top notch. The manager Dustin Ruiz is a manager with a caring heart for his guest. Furthermore, I can tell that his staff mirror their manager Dustin Ruiz because they are all so kind to anyone who enters the Sheraton. They greet you every morning and when you walk by the front desk, you know that the staff is happy to have you there. Dustin Ruiz is a manager is a caring manager that goes above and beyond to help a guest in any event that there is a problem. Also, three workers (2 in the bar and a waitress in Dining services) was so outstanding with there service. Also, 2 housekeeping workers, Cardonia and a new guy that just started ( I can't remember his name), but he has an accent; these two individuals clean rooms to MAXIMUM capacity. They clean rooms as if it was there own homes and you do not see a spot of dust or anyhing once they are done. They never forget anything that the room needs and they are always asking if something else is needed. They were outstanding. As a whole, the Sheraton is a WONDERFUL hotel and friendly staff, but most of all, they care. I would definitely stay there again and I will refer many people to this Sheraton. If you are a guest, you know that you are cared for when you walk through the door. Again, it all begins with management and Dustin Ruiz is a manager that no business should ever want to replace. His heart is big and his caring for his guest is unexplainable. All I can say is "what an awesome manager, and what an awesome staff". I wish this Sheraton much success after celebrating their one year anniversary. If I am ever in the area again, I am only staying at the Sheraton Wilimington South and see no need to look at any other hotel. Great Hotel.

Room Tip: If you see any bad reviews about the Sheraton, please take my word and go stay there for yourself. S...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Sally S-
Thank you for staying with us at the Sheraton Wilmington South!
We appreciate the awesome feedback and comments about our hotel. Dustin is our Front Office Manager and he does a great job with our Front Office team, thank you for noting that!
Our housekeeping team is full of hard working individuals, thank you for pointing them out since their efforts do normally go unnoticed!
Thank you for wishing us success and a happy anniversary! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

The staff at this hotel is one of the friendliest, courteous, and conscientious I've had the pleasure of dealing with.

Our hotel room was wonderful - a spacious suite. We were at the hotel for three nights and it was nice having the extra room. The bed was very comfortable. The linens on the bed were pressed and I don't find that in too many of the hotels I stay in. Complimentary water was offered. There were electrical outlets located on each nightstand - next to the bed. I don't usually have housekeeping access my room during my stay and I loved it that they didn't bug me every day about the housekeeping. We were somewhat disappointed in the limited selection of tv channels. My husband said that he didn't find pay-for-view either.

While there is a restaurant in the hotel, we thought the food just standard fare.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear durangodawgs-
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton Wilmington South!
We appreciate your comments about our hotel, from the pressed linens to the housekeeping service. And thank you for the comments about our staff!
I apologize that you were disappointed about the selection of TV channels in our hotel. As a management staff opening the hotel, we chose to utilize the High Definition of our LG LCD Televisions by purchasing the HD package, unfortunately HD and Pay-Per-View as one package was not available to us at that time. We will absolutely consider your feedback to see if we can expand the selection of channels!
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Castle
HOTEL DU PONT
HOTEL DU PONT
#2 of 13 in Wilmington
Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington Christiana

Been to Sheraton Wilmington South? Share your experiences!