“What a lovley new Hotel”

Sheraton Wilmington South
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in New Castle
GreenLeadersGold level
Office
“What a lovley new Hotel”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My wife and I were attending a sporting event at the University of Delaware and after checking all of the Hotel/Motels in the town of Newark we found out that they were all booked. Thanks to
tripadvisor we looked for the closest nice four star Hotel. We made a reservation at the suggestion of several people in the area at the new Sheraton Wilmington South about five miles north of campus.

When we arrived, we were quickly checked in to a very nice accessible room. While the room was just fine, accessible Bathrooms do not have any counter space to put Dobb Kits and other related things. I called down to the desk and asked if we could get a different room but the agent indicated that the hotel was fully booked so there was no other rooms available. We stayed in the room and had a very restful evening. The Bed was very comfortable and the pillows were a home run.

In the morning I went down stairs and asked for a newspaper and the front desk clerk indicated that they only had a few copies of the USA Today but they were all gone. He indicated that they did not have any other papers delivered on the weekends and if I wanted a paper I would have to get in my car and drive about two miles down to the Wawa Market. I also asked the front desk agent if the hotel was full last night because the parking lot was empty, and he indicated that no they were about 50% booked.

My review of this hotel could of been a five star Excellent review, but with the check in agent not willing to move us to a different room after requesting one and not having a newspaper available on weekends gives me a feeling that while the physical plant is beautiful and the rooms well done, management perhaps needs to work on why not change rooms if a guest requests a change with a hotel that is only half full. Also, I can't understand why such a beautiful four star property would not have newspapers delivered on weekends. That is the answer I would expect from a 2 or 3 star motel.

The next time you are in the Newark/New Castle Delaware area I would suggest you stay at the Sheraton Wilmington South.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the side of the hotel away from the highway.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dinaker M, Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear whytegroup-
Thank you for staying with us while attending the University of Delaware sporting event! As a fellow UD fan, I appreciate allowing us to provide your accomodations!
I apologize for the experience you had with requesting a non-accessible room. Our Front Office associates try to verify the type of room you requested for your stay to best fit your needs. If we have the non-accessible rooms available, we absolutely try our best to fit the needs of our guests. Our associates have an excellent reputation for being very caring and hospitable, and I hope we meet that expectation the next time you come to stay with us.
USA Today provides a "Weekend Edition" for Friday-Sunday, it seems we ran short on throughout the course of the weekend. We appreciate guests letting us know when we fall short of items necessary to meet your expectations and I will reach out to the rest of my management that we order more USA Todays for the weekend!
Again I am very sorry for those two things that effected your experience, our Associates are our biggest asset and I hope we meet your expectations when you stay with us again. Please email me (Dinaker M) at guestservices@sheratonwilmingtonsouth.com the next time you stay with us. Thank you for your kind words and constructive remarks!

Warm Regards,
Dinaker M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I were attending a family birthday party in New Castle, DE and this property was recommended to us based on the proximity to the party location.When we checked in we were greeted by the front desk person - Mr. M. Hill who was professional and pleasant, who quickly checked us in, and offered directions to local businesses, and just chatted about the area and was so pleasant. Because of his attentativeness and pleasant demeanor we will look for him when we come back again. We were pleased with the overall appearance and decor of the hotel and the room. We had a Jr. king suite that was so large and beautiful. The jacuzzi in the bathroom was awsome. Each staff person that we encountered either in the hall or on the elevator were friendly and courteous. Made you feel as if you were part of the 'Sheraton family'. Breakfast the next morning was delicious and the food server in the restaurant was friendly too. We will definitely return and highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dinaker M, Manager at Sheraton Wilmington South, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear ens1111-
Thank you for staying with us at the Sheraton Wilmington South!
We appreciate you and your husband staying with us! Thank you for noticing the hospitality of our bellman, Marvin! He is a true asset to our hotel and he is very committed to our guests.
It sounds like you enjoyed the jacuzzi in our Deluxe Suite very much! It is quite the suite and we are glad to offer it to our guests! We are glad you also enjoyed breakfast in the Wilmington Grille. Mr. Mohsin Ali, our restaurant manager, is very commited to our associates making sure everything from the Starbucks Coffee to the Omelets are of the best quality for our guests!
We are very glad to welcome you as part of our "Sheraton Family" and we hope to do it again very soon!
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The hotel is as reported by numerous guests brand new. Rooms are generius in layout, staff is very friendly and helpfull.

Restaurant: Normally I am the only guest, this is sad, as the menu and cooking is erally very good and worth a visit. Not really **** is the fact, that breakfast is only available from 6:30 on and same counts for room service. There is no buffet, so you will need to have time. There isn't any espresso style coffee as latte or capuccino either. This is not four star.

Rooms: They are the kind of suits as found everywhere. You enter the living part, in between the bathroom and on the outside the sleepingroom. Who designed AC for those rooms obviously did not think much. The air condition is at the window in the sleeping room, meanwhile it's thermostat sits in the livingroom. Guess what? Yeah, you got it. You will be cooled down the whole night long by this real noisy AC, even having the door open.

I am here now since a week and shall stay another 10 days. Do I consider the hotel next time again? I have to think about, the Christiana Hilton isn't far.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank legacy135
Dear Legacy135-
Thank you for staying with us at the Sheraton Wilmington South!
As management of this property, we take our guests comments very seriously and we appreciate all kinds of feedback. Our Wilmington Grille does serve an A La Carte menu to ensure our guests have fresh, high quality food provided to them, and I am sorry we were not able to offer you a buffet option for your stay with us. We do have an espresso machine in our Sheraton Club Lounge and we will absolutely consider making that an offering for Wilmington Grille customers!
Our Junior Suites are larger than our standard rooms, but we do offer even bigger suites in our hotel. We do have vents to circulate air between the two rooms in the junior suite, I apologize that it was not distributing equally to both rooms.
I apologize for the inconvenience and I hope you do stay with us again soon, please reach out to myself or anybody else and we will try to make it the best experience possible!
Bronx, New York
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I reserved a deluxe suite and a double room for a long weekend, tied in with dinner party in the private dining room. The staff was unbelievably friendly and helpful, and the facilities were quite nice. The bathroom was a religious experience, and the sweet sleeper bed made the trip worthwhile. The location is a bit isolated, but it makes the hotel feel like a secluded resort. I will definitely be staying there again.

Room Tip: Spring for the deluxe suite if at all possible. The whirlpool bath is a revelation!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank pressinbox
Dear pressinbox-
Thank you so much for staying at the Sheraton Wilmington South! We appreciate you staying with us over the long weekend and we hope you had quite the enjoyable stay!
Our Deluxe Suites are quite the room! All the amenities they have to offer, from the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Bed, the 2 Flat Screen TV's, Living Room with Wet Bar, and we agree the bathroom is quite the experience!
Our hotel is conveniently located off of I-95 North, I apologize if it seemed like an isolated location, but we are glad that it brought a secluded resort feel to you!
Thank you for staying with us and we hope you can come experience the luxury of the Deluxe Suite again soon!
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The hubby and I stayed for a night to relax and unwind. They had a special price going on for the jacuzzi suite so we decided to book it. Upon arriving, as always, we are greeted by an awesome staff. It was a quick check-in and we were on our way to the room. Once we entered, every part of the room was spacious and clean! The jacuzzi fits comfortably for two, the bed was big and very comfortable as well. We both slept great. To sum it all up, we had a awesome night! :)

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Observant2012
Dear Observant2012-
Thank you for staying with us to have a nice, relaxing night away! Because of our convenient location, we appreciate couples taking a night away in one of our Deluxe Suites! Close enough to home, but far enough to feel away!
We have a multitude of different offers for our rooms, either through our hotel, or through being a Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG Member) you can receive all types of great offers! If you are not an SPG member, feel free to go to SPG.com to sign up, it is free of cost!
Thank you for staying with us, and please come again with your husband soon!
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed there for one night, while driving around the country. Rooms are incredibly nice and affordable, everything is clean, new and works. The staff was very professional.

There was a party that went a bit out of control, as people ran through the hallway on our floor yelling and screaming. I called the front desk, who sent someone immediately to take care of the situation. As it only worked for 5-10 mins., I called them again. The gave us a similar room three floors down, where everything was peace and quiet. They offered to help us pack everything up and move our things. We received several apologies as well as a complementary fruit basket and breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TMBP
Dear TMBP-
Thank you for staying with us at the Sheraton Wilmington South! We are glad you enjoyed the accommodations at our hotel and that our staff was very hospitable towards you.
I apologize for the noise experience you had at our hotel once again! We take our guests peace and quiet very seriously, as you could tell from our quick responsiveness. I am glad you were able to be relocated, that our staff was so eager to help, and that your experience was still positive!
We are always here for our guests!
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again!
Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

Everything was wonderful. I was there just one night on business, but every single staff member I came into contact with was friendly, helpful, and always smiling. The room was beautiful, and breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank currylaf
Dear Currylaf-
Thank you for letting the Sheraton Wilmington South being your business travel accomodation! We are glad to hear that our staff, property, and quality all met your expectations!
We are thrilled to have Courtney Hall as our Executive Chef, he works very hard to cater our menus to our guests, and we hope that was reflected in your breakfast!
Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon, business or pleasure!
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Castle
Hotel du Pont
Hotel du Pont
#2 of 13 in Wilmington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Downtown Wilmington - Legal District

Been to Sheraton Wilmington South? Share your experiences!