“It's a lot like being home...”
Review of Nora Lee's Cafe

Nora Lee's Cafe
Ranked #6 of 131 Restaurants in New Castle
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Wilmington, Delaware
“It's a lot like being home...”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Being originally from the NOLA (New Orleans, LA) area, it is difficult to find a restaurant that offers authentic Creole cuisine. Nora Lee's Cafe does a great job of hitting the mark! It offers a lot of the finer qualities of old New Orleans style and flavor. One of the few restaurants in the area that offers Abita Purple Haze beer and incredible live music! Pricing is fairly reasonable and in the tradition of NOLA evening dining, Nora Lee's is a Dionysian delight!!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank alvinec3

Wilmington, DE
“One and Done”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

First impressions are everything and this first impression wasn't good. The entryway is not handicap accessible. My elderly mother accompanied me and had a hard time getting thru the front door. Then once inside we were not immediately greeted, stood and waited, then asked bartender if we should seat ourselves.

Once seated we asked for a glass of water, which was from the tap and had strange taste, did not drink and ordered the iced tea. Food was not what I expected. The best part of the meal was the bread which was the first item served....it was downhill from there.

Had a garden salad and a Caesar salad, nothing to write home about. Did notice that the lettuce used for both salads was identical just different toppings.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the fruit flies... All throughout dinner the flies were abundantly annoying.

Order the crab cake, it was mushy and had a lot of filling. It was done on the outside but not cooked thoroughly on the inside. They used red onion which was still raw and not much crab meat present. After taking a bite, we sent it back. (When the bill came I saw that we were still charged for the crab cake. Normally I would have argued to have it removed from our bill but we were using a Groupon so I didn't.)

We tried the coconut shrimp and it was burnt on the outside, the coconut covering was very greasy. The scrimp on the inside was again undercooked and small. For the price, $9.99, should have received more than just 4 little shrimp.

Had the crawfish soup, very good. And ordered Mr. Lees Blackened Chicken fingers also very good.

I felt so sorry for my Mom she had ordered both the crab cake and coconut shrimp which were both horrible. I asked here if she wanted to try anything else but she didn't want to risk it.

Will not be returning to Nora Lees. Just glad I didn't have to pay full price for that meal.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Rangergirl11
Jersey Shore
“Good Food, Friendly Service, Fast Seating”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Four of us had dinner here after the May 17 Day In Old New Castle event, which may be the "holiday" some other reviewers are mystified about. The colonial tavern up the street couldn't figure out if they had a reservations policy or not and were rude beyond belief, so we went up the street to Nora Lee's. We were not disappointed.

Despite the crowds, we were seated immediately at a good table. Our waitress was friendly and helpful, even though you could see she was being pulled in many directions by the crowd. Our table had two orders of the meatloaf, one of blackened salmon, and one of the chicken and shrimp jambalaya. We shared an artichoke and crab appetizer first.

The appetizer was delivered quickly and was an excellent choice. It is in a creamy base and is served with little toasted crostinis. Nice way to start the meal.

The main courses came out in a timely manner and were equally well-prepared. One meatloaf eater felt there could have been a bit more gravy, but this was the only criticism of the night. The meatloaf and salmon dishes had a side of garlic mashed potatoes which were reported to be "excellent" all around. The jambalaya was perfect -- not overly spicy, and the chicken and shrimp moist and not over-cooked. Kudos for sure to the chef on that!

Nora Lee's coffee was an excellent way to end the meal. One of our friends had the Death by Chocolate dessert and, from the way, she scraped her plate, appeared to enjoy it quite well.

Overall, we had an excellent dinner with fine service at a reasonable price. Nora Lee's seated us immediately and extended exceptional hospitality on a very busy evening. Maybe some other restaurants in town should take a hint from how Nora Lee's runs their house!

Wilmington, Delaware
“Horrible food and lousy experience”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Pros: cute place, live music, friendly wait staff

Cons: some of the worst food I have ever eaten, orders confused, and refused to honor a Groupon because the TOWN had a special event earlier in the day (we were dining in the evening and absolutely NOTHING was going on in the town). Apparently, anything qualifies as an exemption to honoring the Groupon.
Further details about the terrible dining experience: we asked for water and received ONE glass for two people. We ordered an artichoke dip that was basically mayonaise, the crab cakes were literally mush with tiny pieces of crab meat mixed in, the hush puppy-like balls tasted like corn dog batter, and the fish was overcooked. We have visited New Orleans many times and this was not New Orleans cuisine----maybe the Swanson's frozen dinner variety. This is a definite don't waste your money or your time!

WILMINGTON DELAWARE
“The worst experience I have ever!!”
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

Called 2 days ago for reservation.. Without even checking or asking my name they said they didn't have it??then they told me I couldn't use my groupon because it was a holiday.. I am not aware of any holiday on May 17th.. Then the server took my card without even letting me look at the bill.. Then she tried to tell me she bent over backwards for us.. I've had better customer service in a fast food establishment.. This was a truly awful experience!!
Too bad the food was good.. Just hard to eat a after all the nonsense!