“hair burger”

Nora Lee's Cafe
Ranked #3 of 131 Restaurants in New Castle
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newark, Delaware
“hair burger”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Great atmosphere, great music. But sadly bad service...almost ate a burger all the way before i pulled out in the middle of my burger a hair...when I confronted the server, she apologized then said she would go get the mgt. I waited 15 mins, and was treated like i had the plague. the staff avoided me while I waited. I had prior engagement to go to so I couldn't wait anymore and when I asked for the bill I asked why I had not spoke to the mgt and the girl gave me attitude and said she is the mgt even though she was also the bartender???? she would take care of my issue. I looked at my bill and they had charged me for the hair burger. I was shocked it was still on there, she said well I was gonna come talk to you..(they were avoiding me and I had to take the first approach to call someone over) but you asked for you bill so I assumed you just were ready to go. Then basically they claimed it was my hair that I placed in my burger.. saying well our cook is bald so it's not our fault.. WOW great customer service...Accusing the customer..the service was so bad I had a lady next to me that checked her burger for a hair then turned to apologize for how they were talking to me..thats sad when a customer apologizes for being talked to so rude...My friend called back to talk to the mgt and the owner ..the owner stood up for the girls actions and her apology was monotone and generic as if it was something less then genuine...you think it doesn't matter but it does when you rush me off a phone and fake your apologize.. Your customer who was embarrassed sounded more sincere in the apology then you did....Word of mouth means everything... plse stop giving new Orleans a bad name by posing your restaurant as Cajun food anyone can throw spices on the food, cook craw fish and call it Cajun...

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank S W

Hagerstown, Maryland
“Not one who appreciates Cajun food, I was pleasantly surprised!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I visited Nora Lee's thinking I wouldn't find anything I'd like to eat. While waiting for a table I tried a Bloody Mary. I asked for mine "not too spicy" and it was perfect. The spicy mix has so much flavor. Probably the best one I've ever had! I ordered the Pistachio Crusted Tilapia for dinner. Delicious! I can't wait to go back. Definately worth the trip!

• Visited May 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
“Awesome place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I love this place...great food, great atmosphere and friendly service. It isn't always the quickest service but when eating at Nora Lees, I am not in a hurry to leave! A real gem in Old New Castle.

• Visited March 2013
Delaware
“Quick trip to New Orleans w/out leaving DE!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

If you are in the mood for a fun, French Quarter style experience, check out Nora Lee's. We've eaten here a few times and enjoyed the restaurant each time. They do have many of the specialties that you would find in New Orleans, and the chef adds special touches to make the dishes her(?) own. For example, we enjoyed the appetizer of baked brie that was soaked in ganache. This dish was so amazingly sweet it should've been a dessert. We ate that appetizer like we hadn't eaten in a week. It was absolutely, insanely, amazing. My husband ordered the steak special. He truly enjoyed the dish as well and commented that it was very rich. I always order the crawfish bisque. It is so rich and delicious that I usually bring half of it home, and then enjoy the rest for lunch the next day. I tried their gumbo one time and learned that although I am not a gumbo fan, it was still very good and well-made if that makes any sense whatsoever. Long story short- we've always enjoyed our meals here.

The restaurant itself is very cozy, small, and fun inside. The bar has this blue type light underneath that gives it a fun glow. The decor is very fun and characteristic of the French quarter- beads, masks, etc. They usually have live music when we are there which is always a nice touch. The service: they are all very nice, but tend to be a bit unorganized. Sometimes we have to wait a while to be served, but they are always apologetic and at least acknowledge that they are running behind.

If you are looking for a healthy, light evening out, you will not find that here! Sure, you can order a garden salad, but why? The heaviness and spiceyness of this food is worth the next 5 days of exercise! I'm not an expert in Cajun and Creole cuisine, but I have been to New Orleans and feel I am back there when I am at Nora Lee's.

• Visited April 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Uncooked entree”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Decided to give the place a try because groupon had a deal. Very disappointing dinning experience. I was given the wrong entree (meat jambalaya instead of shrimp). Since it will take sometime to prepare my original entree I changed the order to blackened catfish. What a mistake!!! The dish was so fishy and uncooked It had to be taken away after a single bite. I was offered a free dessert . Safe to say we don't plan to ever return.

Visited October 2012