“Awesome place”

Ranked #5 of 133 Restaurants in New Castle
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I love this place...great food, great atmosphere and friendly service. It isn't always the quickest service but when eating at Nora Lees, I am not in a hurry to leave! A real gem in Old New Castle.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

If you are in the mood for a fun, French Quarter style experience, check out Nora Lee's. We've eaten here a few times and enjoyed the restaurant each time. They do have many of the specialties that you would find in New Orleans, and the chef adds special touches to make the dishes her(?) own. For example, we enjoyed the appetizer of baked brie that was soaked in ganache. This dish was so amazingly sweet it should've been a dessert. We ate that appetizer like we hadn't eaten in a week. It was absolutely, insanely, amazing. My husband ordered the steak special. He truly enjoyed the dish as well and commented that it was very rich. I always order the crawfish bisque. It is so rich and delicious that I usually bring half of it home, and then enjoy the rest for lunch the next day. I tried their gumbo one time and learned that although I am not a gumbo fan, it was still very good and well-made if that makes any sense whatsoever. Long story short- we've always enjoyed our meals here.

The restaurant itself is very cozy, small, and fun inside. The bar has this blue type light underneath that gives it a fun glow. The decor is very fun and characteristic of the French quarter- beads, masks, etc. They usually have live music when we are there which is always a nice touch. The service: they are all very nice, but tend to be a bit unorganized. Sometimes we have to wait a while to be served, but they are always apologetic and at least acknowledge that they are running behind.

If you are looking for a healthy, light evening out, you will not find that here! Sure, you can order a garden salad, but why? The heaviness and spiceyness of this food is worth the next 5 days of exercise! I'm not an expert in Cajun and Creole cuisine, but I have been to New Orleans and feel I am back there when I am at Nora Lee's.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Decided to give the place a try because groupon had a deal. Very disappointing dinning experience. I was given the wrong entree (meat jambalaya instead of shrimp). Since it will take sometime to prepare my original entree I changed the order to blackened catfish. What a mistake!!! The dish was so fishy and uncooked It had to be taken away after a single bite. I was offered a free dessert . Safe to say we don't plan to ever return.

3  Thank peachdog
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Had dinner and enjoyed the atmosphere. Service was very friendly and efficient. The food was good and the plentiful. The only down side was their house wine was really pretty bad. I've heard from others that their eggplant is excellent. I would go back

Reviewed February 4, 2013

My friend and I went for lunch on a Saturday afternoon. We loved the decor and atmosphere and music. But there was apparently only one server on for the entire restaurant and bar area when we first arrived, so service was slow and erratic. The menu was disappointing - I was hoping to see more traditional New Orleans options, but there were no muffelletta sandwiches, no beignets, no bread pudding. We were excited to see hush puppies on the menu, but they arrived underdone and a little raw in the middle. The crawfish jambalaya was good, but not great, although it did containe plenrty of crawfish and sausage. Also, on the day we went, it was so cold inside the restaurant, we had to put our coats back on. All in all, it's an OK restaurant if you happen to be strolling through Old New Castle and want a bite to eat, but I wouldn't make a special trip to go there.

1  Thank DEgirl