“Nice Ambience”

Nora Lee's Cafe
Ranked #3 of 131 Restaurants in New Castle
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Middletown, DE
“Nice Ambience”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Had dinner and enjoyed the atmosphere. Service was very friendly and efficient. The food was good and the plentiful. The only down side was their house wine was really pretty bad. I've heard from others that their eggplant is excellent. I would go back

• Visited January 2013

Wilmington, DE
“Not Quite New Orleans”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My friend and I went for lunch on a Saturday afternoon. We loved the decor and atmosphere and music. But there was apparently only one server on for the entire restaurant and bar area when we first arrived, so service was slow and erratic. The menu was disappointing - I was hoping to see more traditional New Orleans options, but there were no muffelletta sandwiches, no beignets, no bread pudding. We were excited to see hush puppies on the menu, but they arrived underdone and a little raw in the middle. The crawfish jambalaya was good, but not great, although it did containe plenrty of crawfish and sausage. Also, on the day we went, it was so cold inside the restaurant, we had to put our coats back on. All in all, it's an OK restaurant if you happen to be strolling through Old New Castle and want a bite to eat, but I wouldn't make a special trip to go there.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank DEgirl
Delaware
“The best po'boys and gumbo on the Delaware River”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stopped for lunch because I was between meetings (Preservation Delaware is across the street) and was rewarded with really good gumbo with chicken and a little rice and it was thick and brown and tasty. Then came the popcorn crawfish po'boy on a crusty roll which had a tasty sauce made with sour cream and spices. There was so much crunchy and tender crawfish that it tumbled out of the roll and it was so filling that I ate the 2nd half without the bread.There was only one waitress and there must have been about 6 tables full, so she was quite busy but attentive. The music was funky and there were a lot of purple and gold beads around and a graveyard scene was drawn on a column covered with blackboard paint. All in all a funky place and great food.

• Visited February 2013
New Castle, Delaware
“Cajun at its Best”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I enjoy cajun food so when we found this place I was excited. The entrees are what you would expect, a little spicy. Made we think of N'awlins.

Visited May 2012
USA
“Good but not great food, slow but good service”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

First off, my wife and I went early on a Sunday evening, and the place was PACKED. They appeared to have 2 servers serving the entire restaurant, and they definitely were not lounging around - they were working extremely hard but there were only 2 of them to go around... So the service was slow, and we had to wait a lot between visits. About an hour and a half to eat dinner, which would have been longer except we ordered our food and drinks when we first saw the waitress, because we could see that things would probably be slow.

The food was good but not spectacular. I had the andouille meatloaf, and it was on the dry side, but the sauce was exceptional and bumped it up from average to above average. The garlic mashed potatoes and the hush puppies and sauce were extremely good. The caesar salad was very good as well. My wife had the cashew chicken, which was very good - spicy, with cajun seasonings, and served over rice. We had the peanut butter mousse pie for dessert, which was the best thing we had all night -- lots of peanut butter and chocolate, very decadent.

Overall, we had a good time, but would probably not go back on a Sunday. Maybe there is a time when they have more staff, or fewer diners? I also did not see anyone serving the bar other than the 2 waitresses who were serving the tables as well, and it's a little too big of a restaurant to be handled by just 2 servers.

• Visited November 2012