“The Worst Smell Ever”

Clarion Hotel - The Belle
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in New Castle
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was my first stay at the Clarion. The rooms were very nice, large the bed comfortable however I ranked this low because the smell of chemicals in my room was unbearable. I’m accustomed to smelling a bit of deodorizer in hotels rooms however this was beyond normal. You could barley breath without choking on the fumes. We checked in late for an early morning appointment however I could not sleep and would have requested a change of room if it were not so late. It was not as bad in the bathroom (where I really did consider sleeping) but eventually I was able to sleep (around 3:00 AM) by pressing my nose between the pillows to try and filter out the smell. With no ability to ventilate the room it was very unpleasant. The breakfast was very good, above average however make sure to bring your coupon in the room key package, nobody told us and we had to walk back to our room to retrieve it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LBiship
BelleGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel - The Belle, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Please accept my apologies that our air freshener was too strong for you and I'm sorry that we didn't get an opportunity to move you to another room. I will speak to our housekeeping staff to be more judicious in the future.

I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and I hope that you allow us another chance to be of service. Please feel free to contact me, Paul Rada, directly, and I would be happy to see to your arrangements.

There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel - The Belle

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed here for a lacrosse tournament. I called on advance to ask for an email confirmation of my stay and was told it was sent. When the email did not go through I called the hotel to see if it could be sent again and I got such an attitude that the person had to do it. When I arrived the next day to check in that same disappointing service continued. Frieda was downright unfriendly! We were early and informed we could not check in at the time. Since we had a few hours before the games started I asked if she would know if the room would be available within a few hours... Her response..."how am I to know!". We wanted to leave but had no choice. When we arrived that evening there were no towels for the pool. We were asked to use room towels. It appeared nobody wanted to assist in getting towels and when they finally arrived to the front desk the woman literally cursed us under her breath!! I have stayed at many, many hotels in my lifetime and have NEVER experienced such poor customer service. Next year we will stay at the Sheraton down the road.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank KimoS69
BelleGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel - The Belle, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

With all the kind comments that we have received in the past, this comment hit me to the heart. Please allow me to apologize to you and your family, as this is not the type of memory that we are trying to create. We have always taught our staff, that a smile and good service are what separates properties. It costs the property nothing and generates long lasting friendships with our guests. When we fail at this, it tarnishes the reputation of everyone working at the property. I can assure you that we don't tolerate this kind of attitude and will be retraining and revamping our front desk personnel. I can only ask, that should you allow us another chance to prove our dedication to good service, please feel free to contact me, so that I may personally handle your arrangements.

Paul Rada

Reviewed July 14, 2013

For many travelers, the Clarion name doesn't mean much. It's the higher end of a chain that includes EconoLodge and Rodeway, hotel brands often associated with truck drivers.
Don't fall into that trap.
This is a very nice, approaching elegant, hotel, and a real find for the business traveler.
The rooms aren't huge but more than adequate. They're clean, beds are comfortable, TV channel selection covers most interests, internet connections are fast and dependable, showers supply plenty of hot water, microwave and refrigerator provide convenience.
And, for those on an expense account, the price is right.
The restaurant provides a decent, if somewhat limited, menu with good quality food at a reasonable price.
I get into the New Castle/Wilmington area several times a year and this has been my firt stay at this hotel. It won't be my last.

Room Tip: This hotel does provide smoking rooms. If that annoys you, ask for a room far away from the smoking...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pulsefire

I would like to thank you for your kind comments. We work hard to create a good guest experience and take pride when we achieve our goal. We also feel the pain when we miss that goal. I will be sharing your comments, as we do with all good or not, with the departments you mentioned so that the staff will see that they made a positive impact.

Again,

Many Thanks,

Paul Rada

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This Clarion The Belle is beautiful both interior & exterior. The room was very nice, clean & with everything we needed or expected. We arrived on the Amtrak Train & it was a bit far from there. We were right next to a busy freeway, but didn't notice the noise at all. Fern & Lee

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
BelleGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel - The Belle, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you for your lovely comments and we will look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We normally stay in chain hotels one step above Clarion, so I'm comparing this to, say, a Hampton Inn or Courtyard. Since it was cheaper than they normally are, I guess I got what I paid for.
Pros:
* room looked like it was redecorated not too long ago
* pretty lobby
* very good breakfast
* refreigerator in room

Cons
* room just not quite clean -- dusty in places that surprised me (on top of the alarm clock; the base of the lamp); shower stall showing some mildew at the grout (not suprising -- there's no vent in the bathroom)
* no laundry facilities on-site. We were there for a soccer tournament and really could have used a washer and dryer

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
BelleGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel - The Belle, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

I would like to thank you for your comments as it helps us to highlight where we have succeeded and where we can continue to make improvements. A copy of your comments, as are all comments ,good or not, will be forwarded to all departments for posting.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have stayed in Clarion's before and was satisfied. The Belle was high up on the satisfaction ladder. The room appears to be newly renovated and was very pleasant.
The TV is not HD but had plenty to watch. Breakfast was included and was fine. The staff are very competent and aim to please. Right off 95, so it is very convenient to many roads.
I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank John K
BelleGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel - The Belle, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments! We always enjoy hearing when we've pleased our guests. We also pay attention when we've not met expectations, but we're so glad you were happy and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

This happens often at otherwise good properties, but I'm so steaming mad right now, the Clarion is going to catch the heat. This hotel is nice--friendly staff, adequate rooms and bedding. My husband and I travel constantly; I work from my computer while he goes to meetings. Sometimes we get into a hotel late and just want to sleep. As far as I know, when you pay for a room and check out is at noon, and you have the presence of mind to put the DND sign on the door, you have the right to expect at least the attempt at peace and quiet. If you stay here ever (you might need, like we did, a midpoint between dc and ny), do not stay in room 263. Right next to the housekeeping closet. Where the staff, starting at 7:30, are slamming doors and chatting away at the top of their lungs. When did that start being okay? And WHY ON EARTH WOULD THE STAFF GIVE US A ROOM, WHEN THE HOTEL IS EMPTY, RIGHT NEXT TO HOUSEKEEPING?????

Room Tip: Don't get a room next to the housekeeping closet
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank laursie10

Please accept my apologies. While some rooms are nearer to unavoidable noise, such as elevators or ice machines, in no way should our staff be included in this category. I have met with our entire staff to reiterate the need to be mindful of all our guests needs, including the level of noise in the hallways.
I hope that you will offer us another opportunity to show that your comments were a lesson for us to improve. I look forward to meeting you on your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near New Castle
Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
Hotel du Pont
Hotel du Pont
#2 of 13 in Wilmington

Been to Clarion Hotel - The Belle? Share your experiences!