“The stay is good but, don't plan an event here”

Clarion Hotel - The Belle
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in New Castle
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“The stay is good but, don't plan an event here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

i have stayed at this particular hotel a couple of times over the years... The service that is the most consistant is the professionalism of Wendy the front desk manager (if she's not the manager, she should be). Wendy is an example of what great customer service can be.

It's a shame that the rest of the hotel staff doesn't share the same commitment to customer service, The restaurant food is hit or miss.. The same dish comes out different each time ranging from great to not so...

The event manager is flaky at best, not recalling conversations and not returning emails and phone calls. The event staff has changed so often that it isn't uncommon to have to re-state your total event to a new person half way though the planning process. The thing they are most dilligent about is getting their payment... no matter if the food you get isn't what you ordered.

The restaurant and rooms look a little worn for wear but,i have slept well every time i stay here. I haven't had any issues with any bugs, just the occasional housekeeping slip or so. I won't stay here again because another hotel opened about 7 min down 95 and they have better customer service and newer and better rooms for around the same rate.

Room Tip: def request a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank travel_alot1028
BelleGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel - The Belle, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
While it is a comfort to know that Wendy had such a positive impact, I am sorry that your impression of some other areas in the hotel were not quite as favorable. Regarding the restaurant, we are in process of rolling out a new menu, which we feel is not only offering some more appealing choices, but also will allow for improved consistency.

We have restructured our event staff recently and are confident that what difficulties you experienced, we have overcome. Should you consider giving us another chance I would be quite happy to personally assist with your arrangements.

Lastly, I feel somewhat compelled to address the "other property" issue. Certainly, any business has competition and we are very aware of those in our market. I am confident that our offering in both rooms and events, are one of the best values in the area. From both a pricing and quality perspective, I know our guests appreciate our efforts. I do hope that you'll try us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Millsboro, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

First I would like to say, the front desk was great, very friendly. The room was nice but there was someones hair left on two of the pillows. I did call the front desk and they came right away and gave me all new pillows the housekeeping staff was nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
I am most glad that our staff made a positive impression. It is the core of our business and the essence of hospitality. I do apologize that we missed hair on the pillows and will work with our staff to improve. I look forward to seeing your return to our area.
Ludlow, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stopped here after a long day on the road and it was a lovely hotel. Rooms were large, well equipped and very clean. The room rate comes w/ a lovely breakfast. A nice place to stop while traveling. The only problem was that this hotel wasn't well advertised. If it hadn't been for a person overhearing my asking for accommodations of our waitress and telling us about this hotel, we would have never found it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
BelleGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel - The Belle, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
We would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding our property. We are working on increasing the amount of advertising so more people can enjoy staying with us. Comments such as yours help in that regard and we certainly appreciate the help. Hope to see you again.
Wilmington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Checked in on valentines day to surprise my hubby.Un packed all the decorations, room looked a little worn, but not that concerned, however when I went to use the bathroom, I flipped up the toilet seat, only to find dried URINE spots all over the toilet. I immedialty called the front desk, they sent up a housekeeper asap. She was very apologetic and said that the room had been closed up, and that she did not thing to check toilet. She cleaned it up and gave me back half my deposit on the room. So now my hubby shows up, he goes in to take a shower, he calls me in and said he thought I had gotten the bathroom cleaned, he proceeds to show me the vent, caked with dirt!!!! By this time, I am so tired, our dinner reservation is now. So we clean the vent, I take the dust and dirt on a paper towel with us to the front desk to show the manager. This is where it can go really wrong or really right. Ms. WENDY WASHINGTON FRONT DESK OFFICE MANGER, saves the day. She immediatly offers to change my room to an upgrade! offers to have someone help us move. We go to dinner, pick up the new key and move into an immaculatley cleaned suite. I was very happy from that point on. The customer service that she provided was textbook and very rare these days. Thanks

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rgray1
While I apologize that our inspection team missed some items in your first room, ( we have since enhanced our procedures) I am very proud that Wendy demonstrated the kind of service that we take great pride in offering to our guests. I hope that we will see you next Valentine's day, if not before.
Long Valley, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

My family stayed at The Belle for one night while attending a NASCAR race in Dover. The location of the hotel isn’t the greatest because it is located right off North DuPont Highway which is a fairly busy road. Ask for a room away from the highway. Also, there is nothing within walking distance but a cemetery.

This hotel still has smoking rooms which results in the non-smoking rooms to also smell like smoke. It is a pet friendly hotel, so people with allergies be forewarned. Bring your Febreze and Lysol.

Our room was a bit outdated but clean. I don’t understand why hotels still have 2 double beds when 2 queen beds are much more accommodating and comfortable. The room did have a refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, flat screen television, iron and hair dryer. Can’t comment on the pool or restaurant since we did not use those amenities. This hotel is fine for a night but in the future, I’ll look for other accommodations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments and we are glad that you stayed with us. I am sorry that you felt the room outdated, as we had completely redone the entire property only four years prior and attempted in our design, to be comfortable and contemporary, without losing the style of something classic. If the issue was the double beds, I apologize, but being that we couldn't change the size of the rooms during the renovation, two queen beds would have crowded out the room a bit too much. I also would like the readers of this review to understand that while we are a pet friendly hotel, we have segmented certain rooms that we allow pets in. Those with pet allergies, our non pet rooms would be just fine for you.
plainfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed there. Place excellent and clean. Hotel staff friendly. Breakfast was good selection.
Loved the bacon and eggs. Rooms cleaned each day in spotless condition.

The internet was not good. Hard to log on, staff told us to use business center, however, when I did same problem persists. Internet slow as well.

TV played well. Next door Augusta Grille made good sandwiches.

I would recommend the stay best in area.

Room Tip: stay near the pool area. 95 traffic area trucks noise constantly. Check the room fans rooms did n...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments about our property. We strive to offer a wonderful stay at a reasonable rate. I was disappointed to hear that there was an issue with the internet during your stay, as we have added additional redundancy to our system. Our front desk staff should have provided you with our 24/7 tech support line, to assist with the speed you experienced as generally we get high marks for our free internet access. We have reiterated that to our new front desk personnel.
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I decided to take a short (4 day) wedding anniversary trip to the Wilmington / New Castle DE area. We selected "The Belle" because of it's convenient location - just about midway between Wilmington and New Castle. The hotel was very easy to find. The accomodations were quite nice and very comfortable. The hot breakfast in the restaurant, which was included in the cost of the room, was also very good with a nice selection. Overall, it was an nice place to stay and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your appreciative comments and we hope that we'll see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Castle
Quality Inn & Suites Skyways New Castle
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Downtown Wilmington - Legal District
Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington - Brandywine Valley

Been to Clarion Hotel - The Belle? Share your experiences!