“The worst service ever”

Le Grandeur Palm Resort Johor
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Senai
Reviewed February 26, 2007

A nice resort but severly let down by appalling service standards and a don't care less attitude from the staff.
The good points are the leasure facilities, good pools, 10 pin bowling a golf courses.
Ordered dinner and after 2 meals arrived and were finished the remaining 3 meals still had not arrived after 1 hour!!! Given all sorts of excuses until was told that they had forgotten!!!! Breakfast the following day was terrible, there was either no food and lots of plates or no plates and lots of food. A sandwich by the pool also took 1 hour in arriving.
We were not the only ones to have this service foisted on them and i would hate to see what it was like if the hotel was fully booked.
Wouldn't return to this hotel which is a shame as i said the facitities are good but the service more than takes the shine off

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank vennycouple

Reviewed August 19, 2006

I stayed for 5 days for business and was a little concerned based on some previous reviews. Upon arrival, after midnight on a Sunday, checking in was well handled and prompt. The resort is large and you may find, as I did, that it is quite a walk to your room. It was even worse when my room was at one end and the conference room at the other. It took a good 10-15 minutes to get between them.
The rooms are large and well furnished and the bathrooms well appointed and also carry complimentary shampoo etc.
My first impression was that it was a little unclean as the shower plug hole was blocked up by someones hair. This was quickly fixed when mentioned to staff but still uncomfortable for me.
The high humidity seems to leave a musty smell anywhere there is no air movement and the sheets were clean but slightly stained. After the first night this ceased to be an issue.
Staff were excellent in most cases but many had little English, not something that is an issue in another country except I continually had staff say yes to a request when they did not understand so I had to ask 2 or 3 times or find someone else to get what I needed.
Food was OK in restraunts but not ideal in buffet situations. Hot meals were regulary quite cold and cutlery and cups were often not clean. I had lipstick all over a coffee cup and only noticed when I finished breakfast.
Overall I enjoyed the stay and the grounds and golf couses are excellent. I would return but will remain concerned about buffets.
Cheers

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Crowny
Singapore, Malaysia
Reviewed June 19, 2006

Sofitel Palm resorts hotel - Five star facilities and nice room but lousy service and hotel management. Below are some points that i hate this hotel:
1. Smelly toilet
2. Dirty bed sheet
3. Request for Iron and Iron board since checked in (around 3.30 pm) but no reply, no update, and I'm the one who always called them, they keep telling me that they were sending to me now. When the last time (around 7pm) i called them, you guess what they told me? the iron and iron board will only send to me after eight pm, you can imagine how angry i am because i already requested them since 3.30pm and they keep telling me on the way. I went to my friend's wedding dinner without iron my shirt and pants - angry!!! another worst thing is their one stop and housekeep department were trying to pinpoint the problem to each other infront of the customer.
4. We need to wait for one hour to checked in our room. We travelling for long journey to reach in the hotel but they still want me to wait for another one hour to check in. When another customer check with them why need to wait for so long time, and they told him that the rooms is only ready for advanced booking customer, ad oc customer need to wait for one hour. I feel angry when i heard that because i make my advanced booking since few weeks ago then why i still need to wait? I asked them and they have no answer for me.
5. There are no taxi. I and my friends wait for one hour but they still cannot get a taxi for us.
6. No receipt for internet booking customer? This is the answer i get from them when i want to check out. (Its take around one hour to check out my room, terrible...)They told me that they will not give receipt to customer who book room through their website. This is first time i heard about this answer, and they tried to tell me that every hotel is like that. I already feel lazy to argue with them, every hotel will provide receipt even you book online.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 13, 2006

I have to agree with all the reviews written on Sofitel Palm Resort, JB. They got good location and ambience. Rooms were spacious. Very quiet, suitable for those wanting to get away from the noise of the city area.
This would by my 2nd visit to Sofitel Palm Resort, JB. The first time I went was in Sept 2005. Everything back then was on the average side but the 2nd time round I went in June 2006, it just got worse. Checked in around 4 p.m. but our room were not ready! While waiting for our room, we decied to have the high tea buffet served at Cocomo. Oh gosh, the area were infested with FLIES! Food was not laid presentably. No doubt the food taste good but it just turns you off seeing the flies and the broken food covers. Thereafter, we went to our room and found that towels not provided, so had to request from the customer service. Stains on toilet walls. The fridge was a bit stain. One of the chairs inside the room had coffee stains. In the evening, went to Ishwara for dinner. My hubby ordered steak and requested for medium rare, and guess what it came well done! Told the waiter and he insisted that it was medium rare and my hubby had to cut it and showed it to him the texture of the meat. He reluctantly went back to the kitchen and have it changed! Next morning, no newspaper provided, had to call the customer service again. Breakfast time, before reaching Ishwara, saw a very long queue......to think that we got to queue so long just to have a quiet breakfast, spoilt my appetite. Flies were everywhere including on the faces of my children! We could not have a quite and relax breakfast because the rest of the guests that were still queueing were giving us the looks (buzz off after eating kind of look). Hmmmmmm what a weekend get-away!
One thing I gather from my experience regarding the service of Malaysian hotels/resorts, the management just don't give a damn towards feedbacks and complains. The problem with them is, they can't retain the high standard & maintenance when the hotels/resorts were first open. Their service standard and room maintenance would gradually get worse. Hmmmmmm now i'm scouting for new location around Johor area for a weekend get-away.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank Lyana N
Reviewed April 16, 2006

I had actually read some of the reviews already, but decided to stay at the Palm Resort anyway because we needed to catch an early morning flight from Senai airport. Looking back I had better left from home the same morning than staying here.

As other reviewers pointed out, the rooms were dirty. Huge leakage stains in the bathroom, no tissues, the sink was broken. The minibar was raided and not refilled nor cleaned (remnants of nut lying all over the place).

I called housekeeping to tell them that there were items missing from the minibar which I didn't take. They told me they would come right away (they never came).

The TV reception was pretty bad so we had to call maintainance to come and fix it. The bedlinen was full of old stains. There were also mosquitos in the room, so we didn't sleep very well.

Finally, when we checked out in the morning, some cats were prowling in the lobby, eating of what seemed to be yesterday's buffet, which was just left there, along with dirty glasses on the tables.

The only good point was that it was very near the airport and that there was a shuttle bus to take us there.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I would not want to spend the night here again.

• Stayed: April 2006
9  Thank tissueprata
Singapore
Reviewed November 24, 2005

Checked-in on a Monday with a group for swim training at the resort.
Rooms were not ready though it was almost 1pm. Proceeded for the
buffet lunch at the Cafe/Restaurant. Food had flies all over them but
the staff were oblivious about it and went about their chores. Decided
to eat just the hot food, no salad, no bread, no dessert, not wanting
risk my stomach. Checked-in after lunch. The whole swim team of more then 10 rooms were located all over the gh after resort and not in 1 block as agreed. Rooms reeked, bathroom ventilator was faulty, towels were grey and torn.
Dinner was bad. Rice was uncooked and flies werestill hovering over the uncovered food though compliants have been made. Stuck to hot food.
Tuesday, woke up with upset tummy and diarrhoea. Skipped the equally
bad looking breakfast. Had some fish and beef from the buffet spread at lunch around 1pm. At 4pm, started vomiting severely and nasty diarrhoea.
Vomitting continued til 5am next morning.
Throughout the 3 days we were there, no effort had been put in to prevent flies from invading the food, though after repeated warning.
There's so much about a 4star hotel.........................

• Stayed: November 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, England
Reviewed August 5, 2005

The hotel was an overnight stop as we had an early flight the following morning. It was incredible and I could really see it being a place for honeymooners. The rooms are ample and they are very clean. I have never slept in such an enormous bed. The facilities were great and we enjoyed bowling and swimming and the sauna. It is a very friendly environment and the food is delicious. My husband and I ate a deluxe platter for 2 and shared a bottle of wine for about 15 english pounds. The hotel is a real must and I cannot understand what prompts the other reviews. It was an amazing A class hotel.

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Senai
Doubletree By Hilton Hotel Johor Bahru
Hotel Jen Puteri Harbour, Johor
Mutiara Johor Bahru
Mutiara Johor Bahru
#10 of 109 in Johor Bahru

Been to Le Grandeur Palm Resort Johor? Share your experiences!