“Friendly Clean Basic for Basic Price”
Review of Atlantic Inn

Atlantic Inn
Atlantic Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Millsboro
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My friends and I stayed overnight at the Atlantic Inn to get an early start on our Rehoboth beach day. After reading the reviews and seeing fantastic mid-week rate for a place only a 30-minute drive from the beach I decided it was worth a try. I'd read that GPS directions weren'ty reliable once you get close and it was true but one call to the front desk and Sally had us back on track and at the hotel within 5 minutes. Once there she greeted us with an outstanding smile and quick friendly service. The price actually was lower than I anticipated. Bonus!

Of course the decor is up to 4-star standards but it's clean and the service alone makes this place a "must remember" the next time I need to stay overnight near Rehoboth.

Room Tip: Make sure to call once you get onto Dupont Blvd to get directions because GPS will take you past it...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
atlanticGM, General Manager at Atlantic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate all comments. I will make sure I pass along your comments to our staff. Please have a great rest of summer and if you are in our area please stop back. Thank you again.

There are newer reviews for Atlantic Inn

Reviewed July 15, 2012

There was food from a previous tenant, half eaten, in the refrigerator. The bathroom was filthy and the toilet didn't work without opening up the back and pulling the chain manually. Oh my, it WAS scary to stick my hand into the back of THAT toilet. No housekeeping staff available so they gave us another room. That one was almost as bad. Stale smell in room, Bedspreads smelled like body odor. No coffee pot, no clock, TV remote on and off didn't work. The "continental breakfast advertised was pathetic. This place reeks (pardon the pun) of an older place that someone bought just to take everything they can OUT of it for minimal investment. I spoke to the manager this morning who offered to have her staff move us to another room AGAIN. No thanks. I have asked them to really clean and change all of the linens while I am out today. I should get a refund of the first night but none was offered. I am in town, looking at properties for a summer/retirement home. Not looking for fancy, just clean, neat and convenient.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms and it is every bit as expensive as nicer chains in the area.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dorothy Anne E
Brenda L, General Manager at Atlantic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to submit your feedback on TripAdvisor. We were sorry your experience didn't live up to the expeciation we strive to give all guests. We do not market this property as anything other than what it is..a budget friendly clean, basic hotel with popular amenities such as our outdoor pool, free wifi, free continental breakfast. Our breakfast is a continental breakfast and what we offer is a little more than continental. Other brand hotels have a larger selection but their rates justify this. We do strive to have clean rooms and I was sorry that there were items left in the refrigerator, usually this is not an issue but sometimes things happen. I did inspect the room you were first assigned and found the toliet working properly so I am not sure what the problem was at the time. Again I am sorry your experience was not up to your standards and I do hope you have more enjoyable travels in the future.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

we went back in 2011 and loved it but one problem was someone tried to come in our room.thankfully our door was locked.but other than that great experience.we stayed in july

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I am writing this review while staying at this hotel. I travel for work frequently and typically avoid these non-chain hotels for a reason and this stay just confirms this! I'm only here because of a wedding nearby and no other hotel options within a reasonable drive. I made a reservation several months ago and requested a ground floor pool side room with double queen beds, small refrigerator and microwave since we are traveling with small kids. When I checked in I was given a room on the ground floor but facing a dumpster which smells, however the room smells like cat pee. The rooms are very dated and in need of a massive renovation.
Our room has beds for 4 people, however only was stocked with 3 towels and 2 wash cloths and 1 hand towel? The beds are uncomfortable, pillows are flat and the rooms don't have irons or ironing boards? No hair dryer either? If you want an iron or hair dryer you can sign them out at the office. Hopefully I won't have any more weddings in this area requiring use of this hotel.
The continental breakfast

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Harley S
Brenda L, Manager at Atlantic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to submit feedback on Trip Advisor. We take all comments seriously and I am sorry your experience did not live up to the expectation we strive to give all guests. We do not market this property as anything other than what it is. A budget friendly basic hotel. I know most hotels have more amenities in their rooms but we do offer hair dryers and irons and ironing boards available at our front desk. I am sorry you did not get a room located exactly where you wanted but we do try and locate everyone in the type of room that their reservation was for, we also have double beds in our rooms and not queens which is not offered. I want to thank you for your response and it does give us imput what others are viewing about the property. If you are in our area again please give us another try and we will certainly try and make sure to meet your expectations.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

We stayed at Atlantic Inn overnight on June 2nd, while scouting out the area as a possible retirement locale. The room was clean, the staff courteous and the WiFi was free. I'd stay here again if I needed to. It was too cool to try the pool. The breakfast was simple: pastries, English Muffins and cereal, with coffee, tea and juice. Got us up and moving.

Room Tip: Though we had a room with parking just outside, a pool view room may have been more "scenic&quo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JerseyBeachMom
Reviewed September 21, 2011

When my husband reserved a room through hotels.com he thought he was getting a quality room and a great rate. Turns out he was wrong. When we arrived at the Atlantic Inn on a Friday evening there were only a few vehicles parked in the entire parking lot. The place wasn’t that eye soaring from the outside; however, when we entered the room it smelled like mildew and it was very outdated. It appeared to me that this room hasn’t been renovated since the 1980s. My son wanted to take a walk on the premises and when we did I noticed a group of loud men with beer in their hands hanging outside their room which happened to be right above our room gawking at us which made me feel very uncomfortable. After deciding to leave we ended up calling Hampton Inn in Rehoboth Beach and they had rooms available after we were told by hotels.com that the Atlantic Inn was the only availability in this area. The two night stay at the Hampton Inn ended up only costing us about $30 more and it offered many amenities. Lesson learned… I will call the hotel directly and only reserve a room from a well known chain. In addition, the Atlantic Inn hotel clerk lied to hotels.com and told them we never checked out when we did. Instead of getting the run around from hotels.com we are just disputing this with our credit card company. So on a scale of 1 – 5 this place doesn’t even get a 1.

Room Tip: Go with a hotel chain that is well known
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Steve G
ChrisBerg, Director of Operations at Atlantic Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2011

I sincerely appreciate you taking the opportunity to submit your feedback on TripAdvisor, Steve G. As any responsible hotel should, we take the feedback received on TripAdvisor seriously and I'm sorry to see your experience didn't live up to the expectation we strive to give all guests.
Since you booked through a third party, hotels.com, it's very difficult for us to determine how to property was conveyed to you, as well as the conversations you had with them. Ultimately, hotels.com has charged you for the room and they're going to do what's necessary to avoid refunding your money. The hotel has no reason to lie about you checking out...hotels.com was the one who had taken your money, not the hotel. We can easily tell what time you arrived and departed. It would seem hotels.com is attempting to make the hotel look like the bad guy in order for them not to lose your money.
With that in mind, I agree with you that it is ALWAYS best to work with your lodging partner directly, be it a branded hotel or not. You're going to get an honest, unbiased description of the property as well as the peace of mind knowing you don't have to work through an extra layer of rules and/or payment. I'm happy you found the Hampton Inn as an acceptable alternative but am shocked you only paid $30 more than our rate. The Hampton is typically $100-150 more per night than our hotel in season, so if this is indeed true I would definitely say you paid way too much through hotels.com for our hotel. Again, we're not privy to knowing what you paid them as they are merely acting as a third party travel agent.
We do not market this property as anything other than what it is...a budget friendly, clean, basic hotel with popular amenities such as an outdoor pool, free wifi, free continental breakfast and great service. The rooms have all been renovated within the past 3 years but it is not modern which perhaps you prefer when traveling. The pictures you find of our property online are representative of all rooms.
I wish you had conveyed your concerns about the "gawking guests", and the odor in the room. After you departed the hotel our Front Desk Agent, Sallie, visited the room to make notes for housekeeping, but could not determine any smell. Additionally, this room has been occupied since your departure without any concerns or complaints brought to our attention. I'm sorry you experienced this but we have been unable to replicate this concern to correct this for the next guest. Sallie, a 6 1/2 year veteran on our team, would have been happy to address the guests you mentioned but she also indicated your review was the first she had heard of this.
Again, I'm sincerely sorry your experience didn't live up to the expectation hotels.com had set for you and I'm not sure that us simply changing your room would have adjusted your impression and experience with our hotel. We know we cannot be all things to all guests, but we do make the attempt to try. I'm happy you were able to find alternative lodging and I hope the remainder of your time at the Delaware beaches was enjoyable. Thank you again for allowing us an opportunity to service your stay and I wish you very safe travels in the future.

King Regards,
Chris Berg
Director of Operations

Reviewed September 5, 2011

Owners of this budget motel also own well-respected franchise hotels in Rehobeth Beach and Bethany Beach and expect the same housekeeping standards at this motel.

For some reason Google maps, Mapquest, TripAdvisor and most GPS units don't identify the correct location which is near the intersection of E Dupont Blvd (US 113) and Hwy 24 leading into Main St, Millsboro and some really good restaurants.

We're usually reluctant to stay at independent properties but felt reassured after we were graciously shown four different rooms (located in different areas of the motel).  We inspected each room in detail before selecting a room for check-in.  All met the housekeeping standards equivalent to franchise hotel standards (absolutely NO bedbugs).

The property, including the swimming pool in the courtyard, was well-maintained.  The grounds are well-lit all night and the motel is set back from the highway, so traffic noise is not a problem.

Enjoy the complimentary continental breakfast in the lobby; good coffee, choices of cereal, muffins, pastries, etc.

Although not as plush as a moderately priced franchise hotel, it is clean, safe and meets our overnight needs.  The rooms are larger than many higher priced hotels.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank TheTripsTR

Thank you, TheTripsTR, for taking the time to submit your review via TripAdvisor. We appreciate all the feedback you had to give and I'm sure our future visitors will find this information extremely helpful.

You are correct. Our management company also manages several brand hotels as well and consequently expects the same standards from our hotels which are not branded. For consistency sake, this is the best way to do business and we believe our guests appreciate that.

We have had some difficulty getting the navigation systems to update but there has been some progress made. We have worked with Google, Mapquest and Navteq to ensure these are updated but of course not everyone's GPS is updated with the most recent information making finding us a chore at times. This is unfortunate but not something we can control.

Thank you again for taking the time to submit your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to service your lodging needs again the next time you visit Millsboro or the Delaware beaches!

Kind Regards,
Chris Berg
Director of Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Millsboro
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 4 in Georgetown
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Georgetown Delaware Beaches
Brick Hotel On The Circle
Brick Hotel On The Circle
#2 of 4 in Georgetown
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehoboth Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehobot...
#18 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
Hampton Inn Seaford
Hampton Inn Seaford
#1 of 6 in Seaford
Hampton Inn Rehoboth Beach
Hampton Inn Rehoboth Beach
#8 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach

Been to Atlantic Inn? Share your experiences!