“The Best”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Millsboro
Holly Lake Campsites
Reviewed May 30, 2010

I've been going to Holly Lake for years. This year we decided to take my nephews. They had a blast. The wagon rides and petting zoo. The best part is that its so close to the shops and the beach. I think Holly Lake could improve a little bit but whats the fun in camping if your not going to get dirty. You complain because the bathrooms are dirty. They clean the bathrooms in the morning when they open. There's no sense in cleaning them all day long if they are just going to keep getting dirty plus there's ALOT of bathrooms in the campground to clean. All I have to say is that I'm going to keep going until they shut down.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Holly Lake Campsites

Reviewed April 20, 2010

I have a permanent site at Holly Lakes, however it is a scary place! We only keep our camper there because we are in a nice section and it has been there for so long that moving it would be worse than staying.

We have been there for 5 years now and have seen all kinds of things. I should say they have taken steps to improve the quality of the campground, although very slowly! The place is LOUD, lots of drinking all the time. Even though quiet hour is 10pm we have seen parties go on until 3-4 in the morning. One year there was even a gang hanging out. I dont use the bathrooms so I cant speak for their condition. The staff is very rude and unhelpful. They dont seem to like anyone and are not consistent when it comes to enforcing their policies for year round campers. One year the camp staff cut my neighbors string lights down, because they didnt like them. No warning.

We have decided to sell our camper this year. Most of our friends have left the place because they couldnt take it anymore...

Do not waste your time!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank octoberswirl
Reviewed October 9, 2009

my family went down to holly lake and stayed for a week in aug.'09.bad month for mosquitos.but all in all we had a pleasant stay.took a pop up w/ac of course.stayed at site 743 and loved it.very secluded.bathouses aren't the greatest,but hey it's a campground.stayed there in '06 too,in one of their cabins.PLACE IS GREAT!!!!!!.if you people can't hang at a campground,stay in a motel!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2009

I have stayed at many, many campgrounds over the last 40 years, and this one, by far, would be on the bottom of my list for a return trip. As a matter of fact, it would not even make the list.

My husband and I wanted to take our three grandsons (11-14) to the beach for a week, and had actually made reservations at another campground closer to OC a couple of months in advance. We had to cancel that reservation about 5 days prior to our arrival when we found out they absolutely did not allow you to put up a small tent on your site with your RV.

I spent several hours calling every campground between Salisbury and OC, then started looking in Delaware. That's when I found Holly Lake. They did have openings and were able to accommodate us for the following week. When I asked about putting up a tent, I was told it was not allowed, but I could get an RV site next to a tent site and pay an additional $40 per night. When I balked at this, the young lady said it was ok to put a tent for the kids to "play" in, but they could not "sleep" in it. This makes perfect sense to me! ?????

When we arrived, and finally made it to our site in the very back section (over 2 miles to camp store) we discovered out site had no picnic table or fire ring. When we questioned that at the store later, they did take care of the problem. When we complained two days later about smelling sewage off and on, and discovered the sewage pipe had a hole in it, they did take care of the problem.

When we decided to ride around the campground the second day, we realized the pool was exactly three miles from our campsite. We could not allow the boys to walk to the pool because, #1 it was too far, and #2, they would have to go out on the State Roads to get to the campground section where the pool is located. I agree there are lots of activities for the kids, but the list posted at the store was for the prior week, and when I asked for a new one, I was told it wasn't out yet. The ONLY activity in the back section for the kids was a playground, and none of our grandsons uses playgrounds anymore. There was absolutely nothing else in the back for the young people to do.

There were no bathrooms adjacent to the pool, so I could just imagine what was in that water! Sherry, the lady who takes care of the pool, was very nice and we really had no complaints about the rest of staff.

As for the bathrooms, I only used one when we first arrived at the campground, but the boys and my husband tried several times during the week to use the showers, and there was no hot water.

Although, the flies did drive us crazy, and there were leaves and twigs on our site, I honestly could not blame that on the campground management. That's mother nature.

If this campground has any desire to receive good ratings, then they should start spending some money on updating the bathrooms, smoothing or graveling the roads, and think about putting a pool, maybe even a small campstore in the back section of this campground.

The only other problem I have to address is the condition of the permanent sites. The rules in this campground seem to apply only to non-permanent tenants. Many of the permanent sites thoughout the entire campground were unkept and dirty. The trailers and some screens were covered with green whatever. Some trailers had all kinds of junk piled underneath which was very unsightly. Many had metal sheds which were rusting, and several had all kinds of junk laying around the site. Why in the world would this campground management care if I erected a small tent outside my RV for the kids to sleep in, when the permanent sites were so horrible??

I will not recommend this site to anyone, and will never return.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
6  Thank jw8869
Reviewed August 6, 2009

we were there on a Wed.,Thurs.,and Fri.I would hate to see what the place looked like on a busy weekend or a holiday.The bathrooms were so filthy and not once did we see anyone cleaning them.The bugs were really bad which I know it is in the woods but if they wouldnt have big swamp holes filled with water the mosquitoes wouldnt be so bad.The activities there were nice but too many people so couldnt utilize some of them.The pool was the best thing there.The staff checking us in were not friendly but the older man there who helps with the pool was great.The noise there is unreal.People i guess let their hoodlems run loose like freaks from the pyshco ward but never the less it was so noisy with crazed kids I will never go back even if it were Free.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank SecretVacationer
Reviewed August 2, 2009

We are avid campers and have traveled all around the Mid-Atlantic area camping. We usually tend to stay at Cape Henelopen state park however they were booked full this past week-end. After some google searching we stumbled upon Holly Lake and decided to give it a shot after reading the bad and good reviews.

Here's our experience from this past week-end. Arrived late Friday evening and got the site set up. Roads are not horrible but not great, some potholes that would swallow the corner of a mid-sized sedan. Our first trip to the bathroom Friday night did not impress us. The men's was filthy and littered with empty beer cans and trash(alcohol free grounds). The ladies reeked of an old un-emptied port i-potty and was not by any means clean. We decided since it was the evening and they clean the bathrooms early in the AM it would hopefully be clean in the AM. However that did not stand true at all, men's was just as bad and the woman's had feces smeared on the stall wall's.

We stayed here as a place to sleep and that was IT, went to the beach all day Saturday and arrived back at the site later in the evening. The grounds were noisy and didn't seem to settle down till around mid-night. Seemed to be alot of people drinking and of course getting drunk and yelling.

The staff was not very helpful or nice at all. They made it clear upon entering they didn't care as the younger female guard sat there texting and not paying attention, then later two older gentlemen talking and reading and not paying any attention what so ever.

Lastly what is the deal with the spikes at the exit, I drive a smaller car that is manual and have to go slow over bumps and the spikes hit the whole under-carriage of my car and almost ripped my rear bumper valence off. I was also appalled to see the conditions for the animals in the petting zoo and the lack of decent shelter.

We will not EVER be returning to this campground, I will not recommend this place to anyone. Camp here at your own risk but be advised it is not clean nor as nice as some portray it to be.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank travlingvw
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Not sure what all the complaining is about, yes, it is a wooded campground, DUH!!!!! The bathrooms were not filthy, in fact, they were cleaner than a lot of state parks I've stayed at. And, this was the most quiet campground I've ever stayed at! It was so quiet when we were there, you could hear a pin drop. We stayed the entire week. It's close to the beach, it's very reasonable in price, the staff were very kind and helpful. The pool is very nice, yes the roads are a little "bumpy" in spots, but my guess is they keep them that way to SLOW DOWN THE VEHICLES!!!!!!!!

We will definitely return next year and stay even longer.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Millsboro
Hampton Inn Rehoboth Beach
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 4 in Georgetown
The Resort at Massey's Landing

Been to Holly Lake Campsites? Share your experiences!