“Great Mexican Food”
Review of La Quetzalteca Restaurant - CLOSED

La Quetzalteca Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We love Mexican food and always enjoy the quality of food and service when we visit Millsboro.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

It was a perfect 10 in my book!
If you are drive to or from Ocean City, Md, you Must stop here and eat. Gracias Muchachos!

Reviewed June 17, 2011

Definitely a must if visiting ocean city! We are from Texas and this is the best Mexican food I've had in a long time!

Reviewed September 3, 2009

La Quetzalteca is located on Route 24 just East of downtown Millsboro. I was introduced to this restaurant by some family members early this summer. I have been back several times since & have been introducing other family members to our new favorite authentic mexican place in sussex county.

I was most recently at La Quetzalteca over the weekend (9-5-09). I took my Mom there for "lunch". I was hoping to get the lunch special chimichanga, but was disappointed to discover that the lunch menu is only available Monday through Friday from 11am to 3pm. However, I was pleasantly surprised when the waitress agreed to allow us to split the dinner portion between the two of us! We ended up ordering the #51 which is two large chimichangas in flour tortillas, topped with queso sauce, lettuce, tomato, guacamole and sour cream. You can order your chimichanga soft or deep fried and you get get it stuffed with beef tips or chicken. We ordered ours soft with chicken filling and with the guacamole and sour cream on the side. The dish comes with beans, but you can substitute rice if you don't want beans.

Meanwhile, the waitress brought our drinks (pepsi products, $1.75) to the table along with the FREE order of fresh chips and fresh salsa. You get one free order with a purchase of $5.00! You can tell the chips and salsa are fresh and homemade. The salsa is smooth and coats the chips well. It is not real chunky nor is it watery. Sometimes they go a little heavier on the cilantro, but today was perfect! The chips are served in a basket and the salsa is served in a little carafe with a dish for dipping. We both really enjoyed the complimentary chips & salsa!

Within about 10-15 minutes our orders were out from the kitchen. They bring out all meals on a stainless steel serving cart. The plates are VERY HOT to the touch. So you want to be careful handling the dish after they place them on the table. They had split the dinner chimichangas ($10.50) into two separate plates so we could share. So that was really nice. In addition, we had ordered an a-la-carte #80 beef enchilada ($2.25) . I must say that we both really enjoyed the chicken chimichangas. The queso sauce is so creamy and the shredded chicken inside was perfect. It does have a little spice to it, but is very mild. I love these chimichangas. I order them each and every time I go there & will continue to order them in the future. My Mom also liked her beef enchilada. She said it was very good.

This restaurant has a REALLY large selection on the DINNER menu. The appetizers include several varieties of nachos (cheese, bean, fajita, de chorizo & grande), cheese dip, guacamole, quetzalteca salad, deep fried jalapeno peppers, mix dip, and chicken salad. They have 5 vegetarian dinners on the menu that include cheese enchiladas, bean burrito cheese enchilada, chalupa cheese quesadilla, vegetarian fajitas, and one chile relleno cheese quesadilla. They offer several combo dinners the include items like beef burritos, enchiladas, tacos, chalupas, chicken tamales, chile relleno, cheese tostadas, and cheese quesadillas. Most combo dinners are served with rice and beans. Then they have a HUGE selection of regular dinner plates that they consider house specilaties. Some of them are really interesting. You can get quesadillas with shrimp, beef or chicken flautas, shrimp in garlic sauce, shrimp in hot sauce, veracruz grilled shrimp, chicken or beef or shrimp & scallops fajitas, fajita steak, beef tacos, chilaquiles, seasoned pork roast, NY strip steak, chicken with mole sauce, taco salad, beef or chicken quesadillas, mexican spiced grilled chicken breast, T-bone steak, mexican spiced steamed beef, mexican shrimp cocktail or the quetzalteca special (beef, shrimp, chicken and chorizo). Then you have the enchilada dinners. Most of them are chicken enchilada dinners and you choose either enchilada, mole, green or white sauce. But the enchiladas mixtas comes with one chicken-one beef-one cheese and one bean enchilada if you want to mix it up. Then they have the burrito dinners which include the beef or chicken chimichangas (soft or deep fried), beef or chicken chimi-changuitas, grande burrito and burrito supreme. In addition to ALL of these DINNER SELECTIONS, they also have a-la-carte side orders where you can add beef or chicken tacos, soft beef or chicken tacos, beef , chicken or cheese enchiladas, beef burritos, tamales, chile rellenos, rice, beans, extra chips & salsa, corn or flour tortillas, cheese quesadillas, sour cream, chalupas, pico de gallo, salsa verde, grated cheese, chiles toreados OR jalapenos to any order. AND if you still have room, you can select one of their alcoholic beverages or desserts. I have only had room for dessert once & we selected the fried ice cream. It was ok--not the best, but not the worst I have had. It was a little greasy, but still enjoyable. As far as alcoholic beverages go, they serve up maragaritas, beer, wine, and mixed drinks. Our family loves to order the Margaritas, but I personally have never had one.

Overall, we had a great dining experience this time--just I have had in the past. The food is always hot & delicious. The service is pretty fast, but they do not always speak good english. So, you might want to use the numbered ordering system to ensure accuracy. The interior of the restaurant is so warm and cozy. The inside is decorated really beautifully in traditional mexican fashion--exposed "bricks", wooden accents, cactus, sombreros, mexican words on the walls and lots of beer signs. They also have these neat lanterns near the bar area that look like fire & flames, but if you look closely you will see that it is really cloth. It is a really nice casual dining experience and I will continue to visit La Quetzalteca each and every time I am searching for a good authenic mexican meal at a great price!

Note: La Quetzalteca does have a small kids menu for kids under 10 years of age.

3  Thank daisyferret1
Reviewed September 1, 2009

discovered this place recently after a few friends recommended it. Been half a doz times since. It became our favourite mexican place in the area hands down. Chips and salsa are always fresh and good, so is guacamole... Normally our dinner consists of quessadilla's, fajita's or enchillada's... all of them are equally good and good every time...

Place is very clean and service is always great. We're still to try deserts, because all the times we've been there it's just too much food and we have no room left. Don't be surprised if place is full when you arrive even during the week. Locals know where to go. Also wednesday's $2.99 margaritas - you just can't beat that!

2  Thank Tomasas1