“Best shower and mattress in USA hotels”

Hampton Inn Middletown
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Middletown
Gardiner, New York
“Best shower and mattress in USA hotels”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I have stayed at many hotels in the US over the last 47 years - from the best to probably the worst. The Plaza in NY was nice ... The Fremont in San Francisco was nice. But none made the impression that this little (yes - homely) hotel in Middletown, Delaware (near a Super Walmart .. ugh - until you need it) and across the road from an Awful Waffle (Waffle House ... pick your breakfast from the pictures ... it's fun!) did.
The shower was as big as a bathtub ... but a walk-in. I didn't have to scrunch my 6' body down like I have to at Disney's exclusive resort The Polynesian to wash my hair. The bed was so soft I felt like I was sleeping in a giant Kleenex box. If you need a place about 2 hrs out of DC and Phil this is your delightful option.

Room Tip: They have smokers rooms for all of us that can't remember what it was like to have a cigarette w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jamesdavidbell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
pa
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This is my third time staying at this hotel due to an annual visit to Middletown Delaware. I had always had a good experience here and always thought of this hotel as comfortable and clean. However on my third visit we encountered roaches in our room. I first noticed a dead roach behind the toilet, which I accepted because I was happy to see it dead. But then the next day as we were enjoying our breakfast two roaches decided to join us. I really do not understand how this could have happened because the hotel appears to be clean. But I do notice they are not as clean as the previous years. Hopefully management reads this and gets this problem under control, because I really would hate to see this hotel go downhill. It really is a nice hotel, and the beds are super comfortable. The free breakfast is also a nice touch. Please get rid of these unwanted visitors or I will not be a returning guest.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank seetheworldb4ureyes
, Owner at Hampton Inn Middletown, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Although we strive for excellence, we do recognize that you experienced a less than “perfect experience” and we do apologize. In regards to the insects, we hired professionals to assess the situation. The insect that you saw were ground beetles, rather than roaches. The pest situation has been addresses and resolved. We again apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused you during your stay. We hope that you understand that we strive for Excellence and that we appreciate your feedback so that we can make the necessary improvements.
ATL
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Stayed here while attending a wedding 45 minutes away. Hotels close to our event were all booked. The hotel was clean and comfortable. Rooms are a nice size with flat screen TV and nice desk. Large bathroom. Nice vanity! Breakfast was good: eggs, bagels, fruit, cereal, juices, homemade waffles..... Beds were very comfortable. Pillows, sheets and duvet were of good quality. Nice location: safe and close to lots of shops and restaurants. Nice pool and whirlpool area. Staff was not outstanding, but friendly enough. Charlie was accommodating, which we appreciated. I'd definitely stay here if visiting the area again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2012

Very nice hotel...found the price was higher then what was shown on this page...clean rooms...nice pool area...person @ front desk was not to friendly.

• Stayed April 2012
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed September 22, 2011

My room at this hotel was fantastic. There was a lot of useable space, and a lot of places withing the room for me to set items. The bathroom was fantastic as it has ample counter space and a very large shower. The only downside to the shower was there wasn't a lot of space to set my toiletries I needed, so I ended up putting them on the floor. That was the only negative of my entire stay, and it was completely forgivable given the great room, and extraordinary comfortable sheets and bed. I also liked that they had a laptop lap desk on the bed, that came in very handy. The room temperature was great, but I did notice the air unit a lot through the night, but not so much that it hindered my sleeping. I would definite stay in this hotel again, and highly recommend it. Breakfast was also fresh and very good, nice that they had some eggs and sausuge available on top of many other standard breakfast items.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Tootie84
Westbury, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We stayed last weekend while visiting a local College. I would recommend staying here. Continental breakfast with scrambled eggs and sausage were ok. Good choice of coffee and waffle station was nice. The air conditioning does shut on and off so it is a little loud. Plenty of towels and pillows with a flat screen TV, refrigerator and coffee maker. There is an indoor pool and hot tub in a solarium with chairs and tables. We did not use it. Only suggestion would be some benches or picnic tables to sit outside. After dinner, across the street at Ruby Tuesdays, we would have liked to sit outside for a bit. The only area to sit was in the lobby where there is a TV.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank LIMOM220
hamptonmiddletown, Manager at Hampton Inn Middletown, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
Thank you for your positive response on our hotel. We do provide a free Hampton Signature hot breakfast daily for our guests to enjoy. We truly appreciate your recommendation to others and we hope that you will again choose us when visiting the area again.
lsonoma
Reviewed July 28, 2011

There is a reason that this hotel gets great reviews. The rooms are pretty, modern and clean. The bathrooms and amentities are really nice. The breakfast buffet is great (hot and cold) and the staff is really helpful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lsonoma
We can not thank you enough for your Excellent rating of our hotel. Our staff takes great pride in knowing you enjoyed your stay in such a positive way. We hope that you will share the news of our hotel with others and choose us again when visiting Middletown again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Best Western Plus Newark/Christiana Inn
Best Western Smyrna Inn
Hampton Inn Elkton
Hampton Inn Elkton
#2 of 8 in Elkton
Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington Christiana
Hilton Wilmington / Christiana
Dover Downs Hotel & Casino

Been to Hampton Inn Middletown? Share your experiences!