“Delicious Moist Cupcakes”

Half Baked Patisserie
Ranked #2 of 5 Bakeries in Middletown
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised with the cupcakes that I purchased from Half Baked. I was a little worried when I entered the shop to find it sparsely decorated & the cupcake cases half full. I was expecting more sparkle, frills & bling as far as decorations go. I was also expecting the cupcake cases to be more elaborate & full of cupcakes. Instead it was just a plain shop with a few cupcakes display cases and a few tiny indoor patio sets. There is also a patio set outside on the sidewalk. If I didn't know better, I would have thought this shop had just opened this week. However, according to their website, they have been open for over a year.

The cupcake selection changes with the day of the week. I had a coupon for "buy 2, get 1 free". So, I chose the wedding cake, chocolate Oreo & plain Jane vanilla. Other options today included strawberry lemonade, hummingbird, orange creamsicle, half baked (chocolate OR vanilla), chocolate salted caramel, chocolate peanut butter & plain Jane chocolate. In addition to the cupcakes, I saw some cookies on the countertop. I believe there was chocolate chip & macaroon. Cupcakes are $2.50 each. So, with my coupon, I paid $5.00 for 3 cupcakes. They were packaged neatly in a clear plastic container. The staff was really friendly & explained their rewards punch card to me. She also gave me a copy of the menu.

Overall, I had a great visit with Half Baked. The staff was friendly. Service was fast. The shop seemed clean. The prices were OK, especially with the coupon! The atmosphere is OK, but I think it could use a little more bells & whistles. Most importantly, the cupcakes were GREAT. They were so moist & delicious. Serving size was average (not tiny, but not huge). They were not overly sweet. They had the perfect amount of icing on them. I can't stand it when you buy a cupcake and it is nothing more than a dried out piece of cake with a huge glob of overly sweet hard icing plopped on top! NOT here!! This was such a pleasant surprise. I loved the wedding cake flavor. It is an almond vanilla cake. You can get it with or without raspberry filling. I got it with the filling & thought it was heavenly! My husband liked his chocolate Oreo, but agreed that mine was better! The kids liked their plain Jane vanilla with chocolate frosting & sprinkles. I tasted it & thought the chocolate frosting was yummy. Hands down, one of the best cupcakes we have ever purchased from a bakery. I would recommend & will be back.

Tips: Check Clipper Magazine for coupons. Check their website for "fan incentives". Sign up for their Birthday club for freebies.

1  Thank daisyferret1

Reviewed June 5, 2014

I ordered a cake for my son's 1st Holy Communion - After giving specific details about what I wanted and even providing a picture of what I wanted the cake to look like, when I went to pick up the cake, the decorator had decided to add blue spraypaint to the top and side of the cake - When I expressed concern that this wasn't what I ordered upon pickup, she promptly informed the cashier of how much the cake would cost and she walked away. She did not address the blue spraypaint issue at all and I had to have a cake. The cake looked tacky and cheap, not at all appropriately formal for a 1st Holy Communion party and the lack of concern that the decorator did not deliver what was ordered was concerning. The cake tasted okay but nothing spectacular. I'm sure others have had better experiences but I was very disappointed.

7  Thank TerriCF
Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

I have been here a few times since my wife is a cupcake freak. She loves these cupcakes. I am not a big cake guy but I will say these cupcakes are moist and filled with flavor. My fav is the pineapple upside down cupcake or the peanut butter and jelly or the .... They are all good. The only downside is the price. 15 bucks for 6. It's probably the reason I am not there every week.

3  Thank T C
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Wonderful cupcakes! Highly recommend the wedding cake cupcake. Small shop and selection is limited late in the day. Treat yourself to a yummy cupcake today.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Not only do you get yummy cupcakes and treats, you can special order cakes for any occasion. My favorite cupcake is tiramisu! The star is very friendly and you can get a table inside or out!