“Service needs upgrade” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of 1861

Ranked #8 of 89 Restaurants in Middletown
Cuisines: American, Bar, Contemporary, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
“Service needs upgrade”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Service was slow waitress knew what she was going but just had too many tables. She had good presentation of menu, but took a long time to come back to take order,bring drinks and food. The food was not bad. I would try again hopefully service is better. Im not sure if me having a. Groupon had something to do with it but i left wondering. Definitly felt alienated.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Delaware
“Call to see if there's more than 1 waitress on duty”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

There was 1 waitress for the bar & the dining room and it took us over an hour to eat. Of course I ordered the short ribs and they were out. The wait staff should know before dinner service which items they are out of. So I ordered a pizza that had 3 meats on it and there was plastic wrapping left on one of the meats. I pulled 4 pieces of meat wrapping out of my mouth that was on 3 slices of pizza. A huge turn off even though the pizza tasted good. The wedge salads are good but the bacon is a little too sweet for my liking. Hubby had the bbq plate which came with pulled pork, bbq chicken & beef brisket. He liked everything but the chicken. He said it was rubbery. This is our 3rd time eating here and have had a decent meal, a terrific meal & a not so good meal. I'm hoping they become more consistent because we like going there. Nothing worse than flipping a coin whether it's going to be good or bad. Get it together 1861! Lemme know if you thought this review was helpful by clicking the YES button below. Thank you for reading!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ILuvVacationing
Jacksonville, Florida
“Good Food in an Eclectic Setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

At first blush, a restaurant with small rooms, different levels, and a noisy ambiance would be one to pass up. But, in a community dominated by casual chain restarants, 1861 is worth the visit. A full bar, a varied menu and good service are the reasons to go. There were six of us, who each ordered something different from steaks to lamb burgers to salads and all were perfectly prepared as ordered and presented.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank rolftowe
Middletown, Delaware
“Great Service, Small Portions, High Prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife and I think this is one of the best restaurants in town, more so for the staff and the atmosphere, not the food. Especially for the bartenders, Mike and Kyle. However, the dissapointing thing is the value is lacking. The food tastes pretty good, but for what they charge you should get ALOT more.

For instance, last night we went there and I ordered the 'meatloaf'. This is a new item for them. This is not an exageration.....the meatloaf was less then a half inch thick and 4" wide on a very small bed of mash potatoes and a smithering of grilled veggies. Tasted good (mines better), but it was gone in 2 minutes. If they charged 6 or 8 dollars for it, I would be fine with that. But the menu listed it as $14 so I was expecting at least a 1" thick cut or greater...wow was I dissapointed. Then, to add insult to injury, the bill came and they charged $15!!. I had to laugh, paid the bill and left.

I've had similar expeirences with other ,menu items, unbeliveably small and average tasting, but my wife like the place (for the atmosphere....) so we keep comming back...plus there arent many other choices in middletown.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SixpacK2007
Townsend, DE
“Nice atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

We entered from the front of the building and had to decend to the lower floor, making it feel out of place. However, if you park in the limited parking in the rear of the building, it is not feel as closed in. You can park on across the street on the main road. It is very nicely decorated and it has a lovely bar area.

There were eight of us, and we agreed that the food was OK, but not worth the price. Since is was rainy evening, I chose the minestrone soup tasted more life a stew, not tasty, and the macaroni was mushy. My husband had the meatloaf dinner, which tasted average and the portion, surprising small. Others in the group mentioned that the prices were high for what they received.

The wait service, however, was exceptional.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Alana B

Been to 1861? Share your experiences!