“Cosy with a wide variety of offerings”
Review of 1861

Ranked #10 of 95 Restaurants in Middletown
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I don't know anyone of the 20 plus of us who had something they did not like. From comfort food like mac and cheese with lobster to seafood and steaks, you have many choices. Later I returned with one friend and found the same warm atmosphere. Located just below ground level, this is a very nice place to spend some time at the bar or celebrate a special event.

1  Thank gerrimom

Reviewed April 24, 2012

Tried this new place in Middletown. Some ups and downs. No problem getting a table on Saturday night for 3 with no reservation. They don't make frozen drinks. We speculated that they didn't want the noise since it is a fairly small place. Drink menu was outdated, they listed Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on tap but it wasn't. Made up for that in spades by having Dogfish Head in cold mugs for $6. Rum and cokes were on the light side alcohol wise. Soda for 12 year old was refilled several times for free. Excellent Crab Bisque, had a unique flavor. Grilled shrimp and a bowl of Jambalaya filled out the appetizers, all very good. Entrees are where they missed.
Chicken Chesapeake, ($20)2 chicken breast topped with crab and cheese and baked was overcooked, and the crab didn't taste like Blue Crab. If it was, it was old. Chicken dry. Crab cakes (2 for $24)had nice taste, but were brought to the table luke-warm, not fresh out of the pan. Sauce on the side for crab cakes tasted suspiciuously like the sauce on the grilled shrimp appetizer, although it was a different color.Chicken and Waffles was nice, but 2 over-fried thighs overshadowed a nice fluffy waffle. Either overcooked chicken or old oil, chicken was overdone, again. Not worth $14.
Desserts were Brownie ala mode, nothing special and not worth $7. The had an assortment of cupcakes, ($3 each) and mine was very tasteful, but not fresh. Cupcake itself was dry, the icing was delicious.
Total bill for 3, with $30 bar tab and 15% tip was $160. We'll go back, but go for the lower priced stuff to see if it's worth it. Would go back just for the Dogfish Head.

1  Thank gerrr1979
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I have been to 1861 twice since the new ownership and have not been impressed yet. We went there last night and had the soup special and it was terrible...way too much pepper. I literally could not eat it. The main dishes were ok at best. My crab cakes were served over white rice with a few vegetables on the side. I would not recommend it, there are better places in Middletown.

1  Thank Bobalucchi
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This place is awesome, I'm so glad it's here! It's tucked away in an unlikely location and their parking lot is small (but street parking is free and there's a few strip malls nearby too). The decor is very charming (lots of stone, fireplaces, rich colors, candles, etc). It would be perfect if they got rid of their TVs or at least turned them off when they were trying to be a classy restaurant rather than a sports bar. We had their hummus appetizer, duck breast entree and halibut entree, all delicious. Our server recommended a cocktail made with Vanilla vodka, pineapple juice and honey, I can't remember what it's called but it was amazing. I think it had something to do with a bee. At any rate, we greatly enjoyed dinner here (and also had a blast at the last wine & cheese night they hosted with Fromage) and will be back!

Reviewed March 19, 2012

We went to a play in Middletown and 1861 was suggested for dinner .We gave it a try and it was wonderful..Was concerned about lower level of an historic house but it was fine .I had Sheperds pie and tased my companions Lamb Burger ..Both very tasty .Our Friends both ordered Waffles and chicken and the loved that Hope to go back again soon

1  Thank BARRYS

Been to 1861? Share your experiences!