“Best restaurant in Middletown!”
Review of 1861

Ranked #8 of 95 Restaurants in Middletown
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This place is awesome, I'm so glad it's here! It's tucked away in an unlikely location and their parking lot is small (but street parking is free and there's a few strip malls nearby too). The decor is very charming (lots of stone, fireplaces, rich colors, candles, etc). It would be perfect if they got rid of their TVs or at least turned them off when they were trying to be a classy restaurant rather than a sports bar. We had their hummus appetizer, duck breast entree and halibut entree, all delicious. Our server recommended a cocktail made with Vanilla vodka, pineapple juice and honey, I can't remember what it's called but it was amazing. I think it had something to do with a bee. At any rate, we greatly enjoyed dinner here (and also had a blast at the last wine & cheese night they hosted with Fromage) and will be back!

Reviewed March 19, 2012

We went to a play in Middletown and 1861 was suggested for dinner .We gave it a try and it was wonderful..Was concerned about lower level of an historic house but it was fine .I had Sheperds pie and tased my companions Lamb Burger ..Both very tasty .Our Friends both ordered Waffles and chicken and the loved that Hope to go back again soon

1  Thank BARRYS
Reviewed February 20, 2012

The atmosphere at the 1861 restaurant welcomes you immediately with dark woods, brick, and a warm fireplace. The staff are all extremely courteous, and knowledgeable about the menu. The wine list not overly long but definitely well chosen. Now the best part: the food. The menu is not huge but has something for everyone and every price range, from pizza and burgers(even a lamb burger), to meatloaf, filet and wonderful crab cakes. The appetizers are great. The desserts look wonderful, though the two times we have gone, we have been too full to order them. Nestled in the heart of the downtown growing business area of Middletown, this restaurant is a real gem. Just don't forget to make a reservation especially on a weekend or you may find the wait long. This is not your typical Middletown dining experience. We will be back again and again.

Reviewed February 9, 2012

Nice menu with "large" and "small" plate choices...Had lamb burger which was delicous and their side fries are wonderful....good choice for couples or families. Prices are reasonable.

Reviewed January 30, 2012

I went to 1861 with my wife and 2 friends this past weekend. My wife and her friend ordered exactly the same thing, crab bisque soup and a salad. Both rated the soup OK and they both received the wrong salad. I got the grilled cheese sandwich and a caesar salad. Both were OK but nothing to write home about. My buddy got the soup du jour, some sort of turkey noodle soup, and he really liked it.

Our overall impression was this: Good atmosphere, small portions for the price, and amateur servers. And the beers were warm too.

Been to 1861? Share your experiences!