“Extremely comfortable, tasteful amenities, great breakfast,”

The Blue Water House
Ranked #1 of 9 Lewes B&B and Inns
washington, dc
“Extremely comfortable, tasteful amenities, great breakfast,”
Reviewed August 27, 2006

OK, if you go to B&Bs to make friends with the innkeeper, this is probably not your place.

But my husband and and I enjoyed two wonderful nights at the Blue Water House in the Hemingway Room. The entire inn is decorated with care and an artistic flair with an emphasis on bold Caribbean colors, which we found perfect for the beach atmosphere we were seeking. The Hemingway Room is a little oasis inside the inn - spacious, tastefully decorated, private, with a fabulous bed and bathroom. The breakfasts cooked by the inn's owner were just fantastic - beautifully presented, lots of variety, and very generous. And the thermos of hot coffee and newspaper placed outside the door each morning is a very welcome touch, as is the extensive information in the room's binder about local restaurants and activities.

Stayed August 2006
1 Thank galoompas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Baltimore
Reviewed August 8, 2006

We had high hopes when we found this place online, but were disappointed by the cool reception we received from the front desk person, who appeared to be the owner. We felt like and were treated like trouble, rather than the paying customers we were. We would not stay here again.

Stayed July 2004
1 Thank traveler862
Elizabethtown, PA
Reviewed July 24, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this inn for one night in July, and had a totally different experience from other reviewers. We were "greeted" by a not exactly surly, but certainly indifferent, young man. Air conditioner in room was very loud. When I finally saw the owner the next morning, her attitude matched that of the young man's--even though I couldn't have been more pleasant, I was clearly given the impression that I was a bother. Breakfast was not good (eggs way undercooked). Room colors and scheme more in line with '60s hippy than for adults--or perhaps more like Key West. For $200+ a night, I certainly expected something a notch better. Virden House in Lewes is much, MUCH better.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank Alice05
Reviewed July 14, 2006

Having had a previous, unhappy stay at another place is Lewes, but enjoying the town and the beach, we decided to take another try at finding a place that might live up to our expectations in this wonderful town. We booked a room at the Blue Water House; one of only two rooms remaining when we made the reservations. Hopes were not high, since it was sort of a 'left-over' room -- but I really wanted to go to the beach.

Boy, was I wrong about this being a 'left-over' room. From the time we walked in the door, until now, we have been treated wonderfully and are just delighted with the room. I travel a great deal (both for work and pleasure) and have stayed in some wonderful hotels and inns. The Blue Water House ranks with the best of them.

We have one of the smaller (and I use that term with caution) rooms -- and it is quite spacious. A king bed does not overpower the space. A large wardrobe on the opposite wall holds ample storage space for clothing, as well as a TV with VCR (tapes available at no charge in the upstairs video/game library), and a small fridge. A recliner has become my workaholoic husband's favorite place to work on his laptop. The bathroom is ample; the shower is good.

This Inn has not skimped on the amenities. In the bath, the provided toiletries are Italian and are just wonderful -- soaps, shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizer. The thirsty towels are so bright a white, I was tempted to wear sunglasses. The shower head sprays just as I like it and the shower is large enough that i didn't knock against the walls.

Lots of pillows on the bed, and, wonder of wonders, a fitted bottom sheet that meant I didn't have to remake the bed when I loosened the top sheet before crawling in for the night! The sheets are lovely, with crocheted lace inset in the top, and with a crocheted lace border. Pillow cases to match, naturally!

The room itself is painted in colors I never would have suspected would look good! Sage, periwinkle and bright yellow, with a splash of hot pink. I am definitely NOT doing justice to this description. A small balcony outside with two chairs in which I could watch the traffice go by -- if there were any.

Bicycles, beach chairs and umbrellas, beach towels -- all provided if you need them. A barbecue grill for guest's use -- as well as a kitchen with a fridge and microwave and all the dishes you'll need. Outside patio for eating your feast. And within easy walking distance of the good restaurants in Lewes.

This morning, a thermos of coffee, along with sugar, creamer and mugs were delivered unobtrusively in a basket to a hook outside our room. A newspaper was included. This eased our way into the day. Breakfast is served in a bright and cheery dining room -- more breakfast than anyone could want. Today's offerings included a strata, Banana's Foster pancakes, sticky buns, bagels, granola, yogurt parfait, waffles, home-made bread, bagels -- and I'm sure I've forgottn something. The espresso maker is available for guest use all day long. In the afternoon, iced tea and cookies are placed on the sideboard for guests' enjoyment.

We're going to walk to the beach now. We're close enough so that we can easily return should we find the sun too warm. We may return solely because it is so peaceful here that just staying in the room is a break for us.

I really can't speak highly enough of this Inn.

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank Chris S
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 6, 2006

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel on a recommendation from our friend who was getting married in October of 2005! It was a terrific place - unique and a tad funky, but overall, clean and enjoyable and close to everything.

The "Hemingway Room" is a hoot - and the bed and bathroom are great! I would recommend this choice!

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mansfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 24, 2006

My husband and I spent just the night to escape a bit! This place was great. We stayed in the Hemingway Room and it was beautifully decorated and very quiet. The Sunday morning breakfast was delicious, and too much food for a family of four- never mind just the two of us! It was delivered in a hamper, with coffee.
We spent the night playing scrabble, walking around downtown Lewes and just hanging out and drinking cappuccino that we made in the machines in the dining area. It was a wonderful, quiet getaway from our crazy daily routines.

Stayed March 2006
2 Thank kgoldfien
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed August 8, 2004

We stayed at this marvelous little B&B on an August weekend. Most beach locations are and feel over-crowded. Not the Blue Water House! This intimate B&B is set off the main streets but still within walking distance to downtown Lewes area - which is lovely in itself.

We had the Little Torch room - which is one of the two smallest rooms - which was absolutely great. It is spacious enough, it has a little balcony where you can enjoy coffee in the morning, and as the other reviewer mentioned the owners of this place pay attention to the smallest of details that not even yourself, as a guest, would think about wanting.

I highly recommend this place, and would definitely go back there!

5 Thank TheTravelerDC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Hotel Blue
#7 of 7 in Lewes
The Bellmoor Inn and Spa
The Bellmoor Inn and Spa
#2 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach

Been to The Blue Water House? Share your experiences!