“A little disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 9 Lewes B&B and Inns
mclean, va
“A little disappointing”
Reviewed September 19, 2009

We have stayed at the Blue Water House many times, and part of our disappointment was with the decline in the breakfast since LIsa left. While Angela does cook something every day, the portions are extremely small and the variety limited. We stayed 3 days and had to eat a waffle every day, just to get full. One day we had oatmeal as the main meal, and not even any fruit to go with it. There used to be a selection of muffins, bagels, boxed cereal and fruit if you did not like the hot meal, but this was not available.

We also did not get housekeeping, even when we put out a request. No one made the bed, just took away our garbage and the glasses we used in the room.

While Angela did a great job showing us the place and recommending places in the area to eat, there needs to be an improvement in the breakfast and some minor housekeeping. Making the bed (don't need to change sheets) and picking up the glasses we used in the room, doesn't seem like much to ask.

It will be a hard decision as to whether we stay here again as we like the location and deck, but not the service.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
md
Reviewed September 9, 2009

I guess my problem with the blue water house is not with what it is today, but what it was a couple of years ago when it was truly special
there has been a changing of innkeepers and gone are all the special touches that I experienced when I first went there a couple of years ago
the current innkeeper was not even there (nor was there anyone there) when we checked in
the key is in the door and you simply go to your room, which is o.k
no one to ask any questions to , again for us its o.k
our room needed a little cleaning, we actually wore our flip flops in the shower and it needed dusting, plus there was no maid service during our two day stay
don't get me wrong, the room was o.k , years ago when we stayed, it was spotless
breakfast was nothing special, I don't want to tell you how wonderful it was the last time we stayed.
one morning oatmeal was the main selection, and I am not a big oatmeal person, again it was fine
the innkeeper really keeps to herself, which is o.k with us, but sometimes if you need something its nice to see people around
the location is great, and lewes is a great place
the innkeeper did refer a restaurant to us that was great
in closing I still like the blue water house and I would consider staying there again, but there are alot of choices in lewes and you should consider your options

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank morgel
who cares
Reviewed August 23, 2009

OK here's the outline:
Good:
-Innkeeper is friendly, helpful and unobtrusive.
-Location is great, eventhough we didn't get to go to the beach it's literally a walk down the block.
-Rooms were spacious, clean and well furnished
-Breakfast was great!
-Good movie library

Bad: I think you have to put the "housekeeping please" sign on the door in order for them to come in. I just left nothing on the knob and the room didn't get made-up. This might seem obvious to some, but figured I'd mention it.

My girlfriend and I recently returned from a trip to Lewes where we stayed at the BWH. We were supposed to check in at 2 (which I think is the normal time?) but called ahead and asked if we could check in early because we needed to change for a friend's wedding. Please note that I said we called ahead. You can't expect Angela (or anyone)to jump through a hoop for you when you just show up hours early. To the previous reviewer who complained about this: try being more considerate to people and they just might return the favor! Anyway...She said of course and had the room made up for noon. We checked in at noon with no hassle whatsoever. Angela was kind enough to give us a tour of everything from our room (obviously), to the kitchen, the lookout and video library. We asked her for advice on where to grab a bite to eat in Lewes and she told us where to go and, perhaps more importantly, where NOT to go. She also gave us good directions to our friend's wedding.

So let's start with breakfast: I must admit I never heard of the dishes that were made for us. But having an open mind, we both tried the breakfasts and they were wonderful (baked oatmeal and cornmeal souffle...both great!). In addition to one "main course" there was plenty of coffee/tea, OJ, bananas, english muffins and even a place to make your own belgian waffles! I also liked how they put a small thermos of coffee outside your room every morning. If you need your morning jolt, you don't have to face the world without it. Obviously, the kitchen was open all night.

The evenings were great there as well. Quiet just like I'd expect. Was surprised to see kids, but I'm no snob so it didn't bother me one bit. If you don't like kids, don't look at them. Simple as that. If you're a supreme snob, go stay at a supremely snobby BnB.

The decor in the place is great. I thought it looked like a coral reef with all the bright colors. There's lots of brightly painted walls and very nautical/beachy decorations. It's definitely not subdued but definitely not overdone. We stayed in "The Little Palm" and liked the colors. They were pleasantly bright. There are other rooms that are more subdued so if you're the kind of person who needs subdued colors, you might want to check out the other rooms first.

Overall I'd recommend this place to anyone looking for a fun, simple place to stay with an innkeeper who is attentive, but isn't always bothering you. Take those older reviews with a grain of salt. It's new management now so you really shouldn't consider the older reviews to be very accurate.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
washington dc
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I do agree with most of the earlier posts about the property, but most of all the LOCATION. I had been looking forward for weeks because i love the beach and had never been to Lewes. The BWH could not be more perfectly located. The inn is truly 1 1/2 blocks down a country road to the beach and several long blocks to the quaint historic center. We stayed in the Little Torch and it was cute and clean, though the corner rooms are probably more charming. Others have described Angela as warm and welcoming, but i hate to say, that was not my experience.

It started from my first contact after I made my reservation. When I called to confirm, she seemed a little curt, but I do understand she is running the entire inn virtually by herself. When we arrived, we knew we were early, and we happened to run into her. I simply introduced myself (planning to change and head to the beach and come back later to check-in) and asked if it was possible to check in. Angela's response was that the room was ready...she hurriedly showed us to the room, but she also pointed out that it she doesn't usually check-in until 2 and "this is my time" in a way that made it clear that she seemed put out. This really put a damper to the start of the trip. We merely asked if it was possible. I understand that she was getting ready to leave, but we simply were inquiring and definitely not demanding. Pointing out that it was "her time" was extremely ungracious. My boyfriend and I are extremely laid back, so we just let it roll off our backs.

There were some other quirks, like only a half-roll of toilet paper and our request for more seemed like an issue (I think they were out). Breakfast was good, but I didn't feel comfortable asking for more than the one small portion of eggs that was offered. Also, I didn't see any cookies or snacks like another poster had mentioned. On the second morning, she seemed a little curt and frazzled about the state of the breakfast room.

We decided while Angela was not rude, she definitely seemed to be overwhelmed at times making her seem unfriendly. I know she's busy, But to me, isn't that the role of the keeper? To make you feel welcome and that you are not a bother? I want to choose to believe that she was just having an off weekend. She seemed a little friendlier as we were checking out. But I have to say, her lack of warmth did affect the experience.

All in all, I still would recommend the BWH because of the charm of the inn and location.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, DE
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I fell in love this weekend....with the Blue Water House in Lewes, DE! After reading previous reviews, I booked with some hesitation. As soon as I entered BWH, I felt right at home...and at the beach! The colors, the furnishings...even the names of the rooms....all said: "You're at a fun place!" Location is great....three blocks to town; three blocks to the beach. Park your car -- you won't need it! The innkeeper, Angela, is welcoming and a terrific chef! Breakfasts are friendly and delicious. The rooms were spotless....absolutely spotless!! And they are furnishing in a fun, island style!
Try it...you'll fall in love with the Blue Water House too!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank atlewesbeach
Connecticut
Reviewed July 1, 2009

When we arrived at the Blue Water House we knew we had selected the right place for us. There are such wonderful sculptures and gardens surrounding the entrance and the inside of the B&B is even more lively decorated and wonderfully maintained. The innkeeper Angela is warm and welcoming, her breakfast menu was the best! One day we had eggs, toast, granola and yogurt with fresh fruit and homemade waffles, the next fresh baked bagels with lox and cream cheese, the next a delicious baked oatmeal with grilled bacon on the side and there was always fresh brewed coffee, jams and honey along with the fresh fruit of the day. Our room was neat, clean, calming and we slept well. We had a lovely balcony with a view of the marshes and there was a finch making a nest in one of the hanging baskets to help us enjoy our stay on the balcony. The "Lookout" on the top floor(4th floor) was a great place to escape and lounge in the evening with our bottle of wine, stretched out on the extra large couch. The "Lookout" was the perfect ending of our day after spending time on the beach which was just a short walk from the house.

It is hard for me to tell you what we liked best because we loved it all. It felt like home away from home, close to all the area restaurants, beach and sights.

What a wonderful place to stay.....I wish we were still there.

Thank you Angela and June!

Liz Downs, Weatogue, CT

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SkinnyConnecticut
Rocky Mountain Rambler
Reviewed May 4, 2009

It had been six years since our last stay at the Blue Water House, and we were delighted with how clean and fresh the property is. The best surprise was the excellent breakfast supplied by the new innkeeper, who is doing an extraordinary job making the place better than ever. We came primarily to walk the beachfront from Rehoboth Beach to Lewes, a lovely 7-mile jaunt mostly along the coastline, seeing the WWII remnants along the way and watching the dolphins herd fish just offshore. The Bluewater House is perfectly located to enjoy Lewes and the area. It is handy to the Delaware Bay beaches at Lewes and the Atlantic Ocean beach at Cape Henlopen, an easy walk to the beautifully historic Lewes downtown and some great dining opportunities, and a short drive from Rehoboth Beach, home of the justly famed Dogfish Head microbrewery (try the IPAs). The peaceful atmosphere allowed the teenagers in the group hours of pleasant study time and space on the top floor lookout and they enjoyed the beach bicycles between hiking and studying. The decor is fun. I'll be back with my sea kayak at the first reasonable opportunity to explore the intercoastal waterway and poke around the Delaware Bay a bit, and the Blue Water House is definitely the place to stay.

• Liked — Cleanliness, location, breakfast, helpful staff, friendliness, peaceful
  • Disliked — Thin walls, could be noisy if guests were thoughtless but all were mature in behavior
  • Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Voyageurapied
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Hotel Blue
#8 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
The Bellmoor Inn and Spa
The Bellmoor Inn and Spa
#2 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach

Been to The Blue Water House? Share your experiences!