“Great getway!”

Ranked #1 of 9 Lewes B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great getway!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and and I pretty much avoid B&B's, but after reading the reviews for the Blue Water House we gave it a try and we were not disappointed. Our room was wonderful - large king size bed was very comfortable, the room had a balcony, fridge, nice bathroom with a good size shower. Rick, the owner, was friendly and welcoming and has thought of everything to make your stay comfortable. You don't need to bring anything but your clothes - there's bikes, beach chairs, umbrellas, beach towels and bottled water in a cooler to grab on your way out. It's close to everything so leave the car and grab a bike or walk. The beach is a quick walk down the street and the town of Lewes is close enough to walk or bike. Many great restaurants close by as well. We will definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: All of the rooms looked great we stayed in the Little Torch because it had a king size bed.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed in the Hemingway Suite at the Blue Water House for a long weekend in June. We could not be happier with our stay. The room was spacious, even with a rollaway in it for our son. Our toddler loved all the animals and other objects around the house and yard. Rick was helpful and kind. There was a delicious breakfast each morning, snacks and water all day, and other beach accessories, like sunscreen and beach chairs. There were also bikes, although we didn't use them, and Rick let us use the kitchen to make ourselves lunch with items we bought at the Lewes farmers market. We love Lewes and this was a perfect place for a long weekend. The beach was just a few blocks away, as was ice cream! We will definitely be back!

1 Thank CMKFCR
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights for our anniversary.

I'm not a big B&B fan. I generally like the anonymity and privacy that you get when you stay in a hotel. This B&B, however, is not just the best B&B I've ever stayed in - it's one the best places I've ever rented a room. Period. Wonderful decor, excellent atmosphere, cute room, close to the beach and a quick walk downtown, so many great amenities (like beer, wine, snacks, beach towels, bicycles, iced water bottles, sunscreen, etc.). Plus very friendly service. I was generally very impressed and will quite likely stay here again the next time my wife and I visit Lewes, DE.

I have only three minor complaints. First, the hot breakfast seemed to fall short of the quality of everything else. It wasn't bad - just pretty generic. Frozen sausages and hashbrowns... pretty meh. I preferred the yogurt and fresh fruit to what was whipped up in the kitchen.

Second, though I enjoyed having a deck right off our room, the atmosphere out there was less than impressive. We had a view of the trash at the back of an Italian restaurant. Between the B&B and the Italian restaurant is a big swampy area with foul looking water. When the wind blows from that direction, the smell is so bad that it chased us back into the room. Not what I'd call romantic.

Finally, the walls are apparently very thin. I could sometimes literally hear every single word our neighbors said. We heard an entire conversation at one point. Which, of course, means they could hear every single word we said. Or anytime we - *ahem* - did anything that might make noise. So we turned up the TV and tried to stay quiet.

Those three complaints are relatively minor compared to all of the positive things about this place. So I still give it 5 stars.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Blue Water House has become one of my favorite places to stay! We felt welcome and well taken care of. Our room, The Nautical Room, was roomy, clean and comfortable. The decor was great- surf meets funky and eclectic. Excellent location with an easy walk to the bay beach and into town. We made the short walk several times.
Rick is such a thoughtful host. He has towels, sunscreen, bottled water, board games, books, and even bikes available for guest use. The breakfast was delicious and in addition, afternoon snacks and beverages including wine are set out for enjoyment.
Although the weather was occasionally quite stormy, we had a great time playing board games and watching the storms from the top floor of the home.
Can't wait to return! I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe to stay longer next time!

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

The location is superb for an easy walk to the beach and downtown Lewes. The decor is fun and the owner provides lots of extras like bottled water, beach towels, sunscreen, bikes, beer, wine, and snacks in addition to a great complimentary breakfast! Love the outdoor seating for each room on the large balcony.
The mattresses in some of the rooms need to be updated...some were like rocks while others too soft. The individual room air conditioners are noisy and don't work well but considering the location, price, and free extras, it's well worth the stay.
Go once and you will most likely want to return if you frequent the Lewes area.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Can't say enough about how much we loved our first (but definitely not our last!!) stay at the Blue Water House in Lewes. Rick is one of those self-deprecating guys who obviously LOVES his job - running this relaxing little paradise of a B&B in the lovely town of Lewes. Located midway between the old town and the beach, the Blue Water was a great location for our family of five (myself, husband, 7,4,2 year old kids). We spent the day at the beach, and the afternoon at the toy store in town (buying little things to entertain the kids during dinner), fabulous Azafran Cafe for an early dinner, and a treat from the ice cream shop (the baby cone is enough for even big kids - trust me!). The room set up was perfect - we were in the Key West room - my husband and I shared a roomy queen bed, while our girls shared a comfy trundle - Rick even had a pack-n-play available for us to use. While my husband was putting the toddler to bed at night, I took the girls out onto the roomy balcony to read bedtime stories, so even though we were 5 in a room, the set up made it an easy way to get the kids to bed peacefully. Breakfast was delicious and had tons of variety for the whole fam. After breakfast, the adults read the paper (for the first time in several years!) while the kids explored the downstairs area and played in the hammock.
The only negative to the whole weekend was the fact that we could only stay one of the two nights we were in Lewes - my fault - we booked three days before! The other establishment was basic, noisy, and had some safety issues that made it much more difficult to let the kids run free, which made it, in turn, infinitely less enjoyable for my husband and I. And the price was MORE expensive for a smaller room without breakfast than at Blue House. Next time, we will have to do a better job of planning ahead, because we will never stay anywhere in Lewes other than the Blue Water!!

Thank you, Rick (and Lola!) for sharing your home!

1 Thank Lisaandarthur
Marco Island, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Fantastic,can't say enough about the Blue Water House. Rick the owner,what a great breakfast every morning.This place is so cool,fun,clean, trendy, Were glad we found it,and will be back next year.You made our Vacation ,thanks.We have stayed in other places in Lewes before,nice but,the Blue Water House 5 star. Rick see you next year.

Room Tip: The Key West room bright an airy. Hammocks on the porch,swings also.really cool.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Hotel Blue
Hampton Inn Rehoboth Beach
Hampton Inn Rehoboth Beach
#8 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehoboth Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehobot...
#14 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach

Been to The Blue Water House? Share your experiences!