“Meh :-/”

Gilligan's Waterfront Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Scenic view
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Meh :-/”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

Wife and I stopped in for a quick lunch. Ordered the Tomato Napoleon (10$) and Shrimp Tacos (12$). The tomato dish was delish, highly recommend. However, the 'Shrimp Tacos' we found curious. The menu said "friend shrimp in a Baja cream sauce," but what arrived was shrimp salad on a potato roll. We asked the bar tender if this was in fact 'Shrimp Tacos,' he confirmed. Arriving home we checked the menu on Trip Advisor, alas, "Shrimp Rolls" are on it, exactly what we had. Bottom line, if you order fries shrimp tacos but get shrimp salad on a roll, don't expect your server to care.

Long Neck, Delaware, United States
“Relaxing, Waterfront Setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

Gilligans is a small waterfront restaurant on the canal in Lewes. It's claim to fame are their crab cakes which are plump and delicious. My husband ordered mussels ($11) for an appetizer and although they were tasty they were rather small. Next course were the Spinach Salad ($10) and Wedge Salad ($10). They were ok. Main course was a Crab Cake Dinner ($25) and a Crab Cake Sandwich ($18), Both used lump crab meat and were delicious although a little pricey. House wine was $6.50 a glass and was a healthy pour. Our server Lynn was very friendly and efficient. Go for the view of the canal and the atmosphere. They do have inside seating but I had been told by friends that the chairs hurt your back. Gilligans has an excellent website that includes a menu with prices. There are also photos of the tables and chairs both inside and out. It's a fun place to eat, I would go there again.

2 Thank Linda K
Oak Ridge, New Jersey
“The problems with reviewing a restaurant.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

In any location, it depends on what kind of food and atmosphere you like. Rating a seafood place against a steakhouse is problematic. If you want 'cozy', maybe a marina dock isn't ideal. Personally, I was looking for waterfront, outside and seafood. Gilligan's gave it to me. Service was friendly, fairly fast and professional - accommodating an unusual request I intentionally made as a test. The chicken tortilla soup was good, though nothing extraordinary, except that this was one of the places smart enough to serve the tortilla pieces separately so they don' get soggy before you get to the soup. The crab cake sandwich was one of the two best I had on this trip.
Is this the best waterside seafood meal I've ever had? No, it was just very good.
I noticed that the diners at an adjacent table were not as thrilled. There were some difficulties the waiter attributed to "problems with the frier". The main thing is that he tried to make it right for them.

2 Thank HowlnBubba
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
“Avoid this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

With so many good restaurants in Lewes, I would suggest you avoid this one. Both the service & food were poor. I ordered a simple salad topped with salmon (which was the fish of the day). It was advertised as a salad with fresh seasonal mixture. My partner ordered fish tacos. After being seated, it took the waiter 10 min to acknowledge us. It was not a crowded place. The fish tacos came out & a salad with chicken. The waiter did not serve it but took it away. Fast forward to 25 minutes later. No salad. So much for eating together. I complained to manager & she immediately brought me the salad with salmon. The salad was bland -absolutely no seasoning - & raw! The fresh seasonal consisted of just lettuce, 2 cherry tomatoes & I sliver of cuke. They did not charge me but it was a waste of an hour of my time & I had to go someplace else to eat (which was carry out) because I was starving. Avoid this place. No wonder it was empty.

3 Thank Sherry414
littleeggharbornj
“Best crab cake ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

Went here on A Saturday night. Our owners at a nearby bed and breakfast made reservations for us for 7pm. You do need reservations. I had the crab cake, served with mashed potatoes and asparagus. Hubby had the fish and chips. Must try. Had a wonderful seat right outside by the water. Service excellent... will definetly go there again.

1 Thank leolady878