“Something in the Food”

Cuisines: American, British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Been here many times and the food is ok.
This time there was a piece of plastic in the middle of the dish.
It appeared as though the bowl of soup may have been heated in a micro
with plastic and some came loose on the middle and when I went to use the
restroom I came back and pulled small hard sliver of plastic out of my mouth,
which I thought had been a piece of pumpkin seed.
The dish was replaced after we called the waiter over, but the dish was on our
bill to my surprise, which I do not believe a good restaurant would do, at least
to save face.
Not sure we will ever return.

1  Thank redbulls
There are newer reviews for Rose and Crown

Reviewed January 1, 2014

A great pub area, adjacent to the local hotel, with generous meals. The food needs some extra character but is tasty and well presented. I have to agree with another reviewer that the service at times leaves a lot to be desired. I understand the need to have the bartender cover a few tables but at 5:30pm, on a Sunday football night, relying on the bartender to cover many tables in the restaurant area is irresponsible. Service was poor and we had to seek the waitress just to get water refilled or order or get the check.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

The original Rose & Crown in Lewes Delaware is no more. The present Rose & Crown relocated a couple of blocks away from where the original English Pub was located but it might as well be a thousand miles away. I was immediately astounded to find no British or English ambiance, per se but a modernistic atmosphere with an almost "high fashion" decor. Nice, but not a British Pub.

Now the drinks... Craft beers and some standard British offering and a very nice menu of Scotch and Bourbons. At seven dollars a pint though one would have to be inebriated to actually order more than one (best to spend my money on neat Scotch).

What is the signature item on the food menu at any British Pub? Well, okay for some it's Shepherds Pie, Steak & Ale Pie and of course Fish & Chips. The menu description of the Fish & Chips certainly read well and the "twice cooked" (or double fried) french fries sounded fine so I ordered the Fish & Chips. When served I gazed upon what looked like 3 chicken fingers and a very small handfull of fries. The chicken fingers were in fact fish and actually good but when I order fish & chips at any establishment that even remotely resembles anything British I expect a shoe size 12 piece of white fish and a heaping portion of well cooked fries. By the way the fries were not twice cooked or double fried and barely, properly done. My attitude toward the Fish & Chips at the Rose & Crown may have been somewhat different had the price been $9.00 not the $17.00 stated on the menu. At that price I actually expected (I find that sometimes, "expecting" anything at some restaurants raises the anticipation level and merely has a way of letting one down) the quality and quantity (portions) to be above board and better than most. It was not.
Service was polite, professional and friendly.
Would I return? Yes.
Why? Well, because I believe with the extensive menu and the variety of drinks available I might just be able to find someting that suits me. And the friendliness and the professionalism of the staff gives me faith in the potential of this place.

1  Thank Londonwalker2009
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have had some outstanding Thanksgiving meals in my day...and yet, I can honestly say they ALL pale in comparison to the Thanksgiving FEAST served by Chef Nino. You KNOW if his mama is eating his food (she was two tables down from us)..that she is mighty proud (thinking Mama also shared a thing or two cooking-wise to little Nino!). The day prior to TG, the Chef and I had a very pleasant and informal chat. in short, in a matter of 10 minutes, Chef Nino had completely sold me on the love of cuisine/cooking, the promised TG menu in detail, and the fact that a whole lotta love was going into his Thanksgiving Feast. As our travel plans had to change in relatively last minute fashion, we were at a loss for where there were reservations available in the charming, magical town of Lewes. This way, we had to go outside of the box and THE VERY BEST OUTCOME ENSUED. I can assure you...ROSE AND CROWN IN LEWES DELAWARE will be a constant fixture and tradition in our Thanksgiving holiday for many, many years to come. THANK YOU CHEF NINO!!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We used to go here when it was on 2nd Street, so we wanted to try it at the new location at the Rodney Hotel. It is a beautiful building with a gorgeous pub and fun atmosphere. I ordered the fish and chips and it was very good, although I thought a bit expensive ($17) for a few strips of fish. There is another British place nearby that serves one huge piece of battered fish and I like that because there doesn't seem to be so much batter. Just my preference, but not everyone's. The chips/fries were delicious. My friend ordered bangers and mash, and said she would definitely order it again. They have a nice selection on the menu. Our server was prompt and friendly too.