“A place to sleep”

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Lewes
New Jersey
“A place to sleep”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I have stayed here on and off for quite a few years, but this was the first time in about 3 years. It seems not a lot has been done to keep the property up, and it is in need of some renovation. That said, if you are looking for somewhere in the Rehoboth Beach area to sleep, this could work. The bathroom was clean, but the maid skipped our room the first (and more important) day of our 2 night stay. The furniture has some peeling veneer, and there was a bottle cap and peanut on the floor under the edge of one bed when we checked in. The cereal and other breakfast items were fresh and plentiful even at 9:30, always a plus for vacationers who like to sleep in a bit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank grandeb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I made a reservation for my son for one night on the phone. The same night I discovered that they could stay two nights so I called back and changed the reservation to two nights. They did not request my credit card for the second night so when my hyusband and I were in the area on the night my son and his family were to arrive, we stoppdded off to charge the second night. Now I am being charged for the two nights that they stayed as well as for a second reservation that they claim I made on-line two days later. I would have had no reason to have made this second reservation. If it dated back to the first time that I loooked into making a reservation and
was just checking for availability, then their system is set up to be confusing and to rip people off. I am being charged for a reservation that was never made or used and I am getting no satisfaction in solving this problem from the hotel. When I stopped off to pay the remainder of my son's reservation and they loooked up the name, no one made any comment about there being another reservation for another room under the same last name and being paid for by the same person. Management on the phone was very rude and unhelpful. He kept saying that it was out of their hands since it had been "made" on line. Since they seem to be unable to operate an on-line reservation system correctly or efficiently, they should not be using one.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JudyR0812

Travelers are raving about these Lewes hotels

Newark, Delaware
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We bought a groupon and they kept saying they were "booked". I decided to save it for off season. My groupon said it was good through March but when I tried to use it, they were closed for the winter Now they refuse to honor it and won't even give us the face value that GROUPON guarantees. Management was so rude. I travel there a lot and certainly won't stay there ever.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank kelly B
Woodbridge, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The Heritage Inn has a charming Americana theme that extends throughout the hotel. Each room is named for a different state and includes a small showcase of items representing the particular state. The rooms are nicely decorated, but upon closer inspection, need a serious cleaning. I discovered a used cup stashed behind the night stand and it appeared that something had dripped down the bathroom sinkfront and was never cleaned. The rug had several large stains. The room is rather dark and two of the lamps were not working. Be sure you pack everything you need. We called the front desk hoping to get toothpaste & a razor and were told neither were available. Luckily, there is a grocery store directly across a small side road, which is an easy walk. A continental breakfast is included, which consisted of coffee/tea/milk/apple & orange juices, pre-packaged muffins & danish, bagels, yogurt & cereals. We did not use the pool as during our stay it was extremely crowded and overrun with unattended children.

The general location of the hotel is great. There is a Bob Evans restaurant located in front of the hotel and lots of great outlet shopping just a few blocks away on the busy Rt. 1. Getting to Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk is a chore if you choose to drive in and parking is metered. If you choose this option, load up on quarters as many businesses will not make change for meters and have signs posted to that effect. We opted to drive a short distance and park in the DART parking lot for $7 per carload, which provided a bus pass to everyone for the entire day. From the parking lot, the bus takes you directly to the main bandstand area of the boardwalk, super convenient and economical.

The staff at the front desk was wonderful, very cheerful and helpful, always had a smile and warm greeting upon entering and leaving the hotel. On our second night, it appeared our neighboring room was occupied by several unattended children who were extremely noisey, screaming, jumping on the beds, and thumping on the walls after 10 p.m. I called the front desk and within minutes someone arrived at the room and obviously removed the children until the parents returned.

If you are used to staying in more upscale establishments, you'll want to pass up this hotel, you will be disappointed. However, knowing what to expect coming in, the people are wonderful, breakfast is provided and it's in a great location to avoid the beach tourist traffic and to enjoy a variety of shopping and dining options.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have balconies, if you want a balcony room, you have to request it.
1 Thank Beth R
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I wasn't too thrilled about booking this place to begin with. It seemed overly expensive, but any other hotel that actually had rooms available within a reasonable distance of the beach was the same, so I booked it. Upon arriving, the place looked decent enough. Still seemed overpriced, but we figured we could deal with it. Unfortunately, the room we were given was extremely dusty. Upon turning on the air conditioning (which was off when we arrived, even though the temperature was up in the 90s), there was a visible cloud of dust. The blankets on the provided beds, which weren't particularly comfortable, had a distinct dust smell. Once we'd been there for an hour or so my wife, who has asthma, started having coughing fits. These only got worse over the next hour, until we eventually decided we couldn't stay and risk her getting seriously ill. We informed the front desk staff that we had to leave or risk my wife getting seriously ill due to the amount of dust in the room, to which they replied that we would not receive a refund. When I pointed out that, even if they wouldn't refund somebody's money after placing them in a filthy room, they could easily put somebody else in there within an hour, given the amount of demand, they replied that they couldn't give anyone else the room because it was dirty. WTF??

I suppose some people might be willing to pay an overly high price for an substandard product at this place, if only just because every other place within a 20 mile radius is booked up. If you do, though, make sure nobody in your party has asthma, or even any kind of allergies, because they will be pretty miserable, or worse, staying at this place.

2 Thank Dave V
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stay at the Heritage last night and were very pleased with our accomadations. The staff was friendly, our room very comfortable, and it was very affordable :-). I would recommend choosing here to stay!

2 Thank Kareway
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I come to the Rehoboth/Dewey beach area often and because I booked late I could not get a hotel downtown this past summer. I found The Heritage Inn online and have stayed at their sister motel, The Sandcastle, numerous times in Rehoboth. I was pleasantly surprised! The rooms are HUGE, very nice American themed building , with a beautiful golf course view (only half the motel has view). The Heritage is also best buy on highway for its caliber compared to the chains like Hampton or Holiday Inn. If you are in the area, this motel is the best on the highway with easy access to all three towns (Rehoboth, Dewey, Lewes).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Danoatthebeach
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lewes
Sleep Inn & Suites Rehoboth Beach Area
Hampton Inn Rehoboth Beach
Hampton Inn Rehoboth Beach
#8 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehoboth Beach
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Rehobot...
#17 of 27 in Rehoboth Beach

Been to Heritage Inn? Share your experiences!