“Tasty All You Can Eat Crab Feast and Great Service”
Review of The Surfing Crab

The Surfing Crab
Ranked #11 of 89 Restaurants in Lewes
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: The Surfing Crab is a family tradition of fresh seafood and crabs that was established over 50 years ago. It all started back in 1961, when Henry Vechery opened the Bethesda Crab House. His young son, Donald Vechery began working with him at the age of just nine. Over the years, the crab house became a huge success. Around 2008, Donald wanted to branch out and build something for himself using his years of knowledge and experience. Thus, The Surfing Crab was born, providing Sussex County with 8 years of the most amazing crabs and seafood the area has seen. Come down and try our passionatly crafted dishes using the freshest seafood available!
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We had group of 7 and headed to the Surfing Crab on recommendation on some friends and were not disappointed. We didn't have reservations and walked in around 8pm and wanted all you can eat. The place was packed and they checked their stock and said they could accommodate us for AUCE but were low on larger crabs by the dozen.

We received a few baskets of fries and coleslaw right away and our beers and water. It was a short wait for the first tray of crabs to show up and they were steaming hot and delicious. Yeah, they give you a 2 hour limit and tell you to eat the whole crab... but how different is this from anywhere else?

The crabs were sweet, plump and delicious. The trays of hot crabs kept coming out and they even put a cold cup of ice in our beer pitchers to keep them chilled.

Our service was A+, with our trash baskets continuously emptied and fresh hot crabs delivered right as we were finishing our last few crabs. I can see how a busy place like this may not work for everyone, especially given the family-style seating and requirement to order crabs by the dozen ahead of time, but it worked out perfectly for us and we were very pleased with our food, the price and the service.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Place was very crowded, so we placed a take out order. Great service and crab cakes. Go early to avoid crowds

Reviewed August 2, 2014

We went here based on a friends recommendation. It was a Friday night around 6p table of 4. We were seated right away. The first thing our waiter asked us was "were you thinking of crabs"? My husband replied yes and then the waiter said "if you didn't call ahead to reserve them, then we only have all you can eat", which I think was $60. We had never heard of such a thing and since my husband was the only one who wanted them, we decided against it. We were happy with our food though. I got the mussels, my husband the crab cakes and my son the grilled mahi sandwich. All were very fresh and service was quick. I would go back but next time I guess we'll call the day before to put our order in for crabs.

2  Thank kathen302
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Stopped for crabs but decided on crab cakes and shrimp. Crab cakes were solid crab that tasted wonderful. Fried shrimp was very good. Service was friendly and offers advise. If you like crabs it is the place to go. People were from different states and stopped there because someone told them about the place. You will like trust me. Atmosphere is brown paper over the table if you get crab.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I wanted to love this little crab shack but alas---will never return. I expected menu options to be limited but not as limited as they were. This was a dilemma!! Whereas my husband picks crabs, I generally only eat the claws and get a different entree. This place is adamant about a two hour time limit and no sharing. Okay--we figure we will pay more and order a dozen large crabs so I can have the claws. Nope--unless you called ahead to reserve the crabs, they only have all-u-can eat with all sides a la carte. To make matters worse, the small space had our party of two seated at the end of a picnic table----sharing with a family party of 6 strangers. Kind of uncomfortable. I understand table turn-over but the time limit sends a message of rudeness. We are local but will continue to fight the south bound traffic to Bethany Blue Crab for more customer oriented service and food.
The sandwiches we got were just average but to be fair, I was not expecting more since this is supposed to be a crab place.......that didn't have any crabs.

2  Thank SunnydaysLewes_DE

Been to The Surfing Crab? Share your experiences!