“Great place to camp by the beach”

Cape Henlopen State Park
Ranked #1 of 52 things to do in Lewes
More attraction details
Owner description: This oceanside state park comprises 155 campsites and the Seaside Nature Center.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Pros: Great trails, great beach, like the nature center, like the tower, ice and firewood at camp office very convenient

Cons: bathrooms really could be cleaner, campsites on anything but the outer loop a little to close together

2  Thank Sean D
Write a ReviewReviews (1,105)
All reviews
"camping area"
"beach access"
"historical sites"

Reviewed July 6, 2013

We brought our bikes along and hoped to explore the whole park; however, it was 95 degrees and the water looked inviting! The beach is clean and sandy with minimal rocks and shells. Two suggestions... The shelter offers clean restrooms and changing areas on one side of the building and a snacks on the other. When entering the beach parking lot from the main entrance, keep in mind that the shelter is on the right side if you plan to take advantage of its amenities; otherwise, parking extends far from the building and can be a hike in the hot weather. Secondly, since traffic into the area can be horrendous, arrive early to avoid the traffic jams. Cape Henlopen is an amazing bargain considering the only cost is park entry or an annual pass.

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

I drove four hours with my family from NYC to see the Delaware beaches for the first time. We live 30 minutes away from the best Jersey Shore beaches but I wanted to try something different. The restrooms were the most disgusting facilities I have ever been to. The portable toilets in MetLife Stadium are cleaner. The restrooms were so bad my three year daughter refused to use because there were flies everywhere and flooded dirty floors. My husband and son had a similar experience in the men's room. They refused to use the facilities. My son said he rather go in the beach water which he did. Once we walked onto the beach we could barely walk to the shore line because there were mobs of people on the sand. The beach water was brown! We stayed a total of 8 minutes on the beach. I will never return to Henlopen State Park. We were soo turned off by the whole experience that we did not even attempt to visit Rehoboth Beach. The traffic was insane! Give me my Jersey Shore any
day.

3  Thank franjaz
Reviewed July 5, 2013

There are many walking trails and places to explore. You can even borrow a bike for the day, just by leaving your driver's license. We climbed to the top of the observation tower for great views of the beach and beyond.

1  Thank DianeF827