“A trip to Lewes wouldn't be complete without a walk on the beach.”

Cape Henlopen State Park
Ranked #1 of 52 things to do in Lewes
More attraction details
Owner description: This oceanside state park comprises 155 campsites and the Seaside Nature Center.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Great Birding! Biking and Walking Trails on the bay and on the ocean. A must do when you stay at the Hotel Rodney and/or surrounding area.

2  Thank TVL4Ever3

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Atlantic Ocean is beautiful and there were huge waves. We even saw a couple of dolphins in the distance while we were at the water's edge. It was 100 degrees and full sun when we went and we so wished there would have been some areas to take relief from the sun and some seating. The beach and water are sparkling clean. There were a lot of people but it's a lot less crowded than Rehoboth Beach! Be prepared to get bitten by black flies in the restroom facilities but once you're out by the water, that problem is solved.

1  Thank autismadvocate
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Large variety of activities. 4 wheel drive on the beach is great. Fished off the pier. Walked the trails. Biked a trail. Climbed the Ft. Miles tower. Took guests on the Fort Miles tour.

1  Thank Barbara M
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Great state park. Lots to do- trails are great for biking and jogging or exploring the WWII towers. My family enjoys the wildlife. There are lots of deer and interesting birds. I've visited the hawk watch a few times but have yet to see any hawks. Guarded beach is lovely but gets a bit crowded during the summer season. This year the beach became a non-smoking beach which is a plus because my daughter has severe asthma. I complained about some smokers to a lifeguard and she was very friendly and professionally dealt with the situation. I am impressed with the lifeguards overall- they are always alert and once one of them swam with my kids to help them out of a strong current. I feel most comfortable letting my kids swim here than at any of the other beaches. The snack bar doesn't offer many healthy options so I would recommend packing your own food. Just remember, you have to carry out your own trash. The park offers several youth summer camps and the kids love it. Great state park.

2  Thank Krista H
Reviewed December 22, 2012

The Park, Conveniently close to cape May and Lewes DE, a short distance from Lewes Beach - Very interesting so close to cape May and Lewes Delaweare, a nice change of pace from the beach a lot of sun and nice trees.

1  Thank Dotty G