“love this beach”

Cape Henlopen State Park
Ranked #1 of 51 things to do in Lewes
More attraction details
Owner description: This oceanside state park comprises 155 campsites and the Seaside Nature Center.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“love this beach”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

The best beach in the Rehobeth area. But you have to pay an entrance fee.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank dohertys53

• Korean first
Illinois
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Enjoyed the beach!”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I thought the beach was beautiful. The main beach area (or one of the main beaches) is right in front of the beach house, but you can also walk down the shore, where you will find fisherman and surfers. We also got to see a handful of crabs peeking out of their holes on the beach! It looked like there were a number of trails throughout the park, but unfortunately I was not able to spend enough time there to explore. The point was one place I did stop and there was almost nobody there and the views were gorgeous. This was my first trip to the Atlantic coast, so I do not have anything to compare it to. My impression was that it was a bit crowded, but I am sure it could get a whole lot worse at bigger beaches. The beach house was a good size, was not terribly clean but not sure how much can be done about that with crowds of people in and out all day. I would recommend bug spray, there were little buggers biting us as we walked down the beach. Overall, I enjoyed my first Atlantic beach experience! If I ever end up back in the area I will go back to spend more time there, and I would recommend this park/beach to my friends.

Visited June 2011
1 Thank SMO23
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Nice beach, medium sized waves, rocky sand until you go further out”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

You have to pay $8 to park there for the day per vehicle. I would recommend that when you go to the beach, you make a right instead of going left towards where it says "beach'. If you continue going right the whole way you will end up where there is another beach area with some fishing. This area is less crowded and just as nice. There are some big rocks to sit on as well. There are a lot of children that are in this area using their wave boards. The waves are the biggest in early morning prior to 10am. Then they calmed down a lot. The ground had a lot of rocks on it until you go out in the water a bit. We seen quite a few dolphins swimming around every day. Didn't see any jellyfish in the water. It's not really the place to go for collecting seashells. If you want to do this, then head to the bay. The bay is also nice for sunsets. If you go to the beaches on the right, then they don't have a concession stand or a bath house. These are both located in the main beach area. If you have time, go to one of the lookout towers for a nice view of the beaches and of the military housing/equipment that was once used.

4 Thank rock80sgrl
eastern PA
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A great state park that has lots of recreational options for the whole family”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Cape Henlopen has something for everyone in your family. From walking the seaside trail and searching for crab shells to getting some serious fishing done on their extensive and very interesting fishing pier. Do not miss visiting this state park. They do get you everytime you enter the park, even if you are staying for a short while, but just like paying my library fines and knowing it is going straight to the library I take comfort in knowing my park entrance fees are going straight to the park. They have managed to keep this state park very vibrant and active during a time most state parks are suffering from budget cuts.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Amazing place with so much to do”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We went biking, walked on the Pine trail and others, swam at the main beach and Herring Point, visited the Nature Center, etc etc...we love this park and look forward to visiting it (and the town of Lewes) every summer. It is always beautifully maintained and the staff is friendly and inviting.

1 Thank JWUSA