“A Little Disappointed”
Review of Zwaanendael Museum

Zwaanendael Museum
Ranked #7 of 51 things to do in Lewes
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum duplicates the architecture of a medieval Dutch town.
Harrisonburg, Virginia, United States
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A Little Disappointed”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My experience their was not what I expected. I had hopped it would be more about Lewes, but it was mostly about a ship I did not care about and had very little to do with Lewes. The staff was very nice however.

Visited July 2013

Washington, DC
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Good, Shows the Sea Influence”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

While not a large museum, its collection has a focus and is orienting to the area, memorable. Show and understanding of the sea.

Visited July 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Small and a little confusing”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We went to the museum because we thought it was about the settlement of the town of Lewes, a Dutch colony. Instead, there was an exhibit about air travel, the war of 1812 and some other small exhibits that I don't recall. Wish it was more about the Dutch settlement and the history of the town of Lewes.

New Castle, Delaware
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great display of historic artifacts and maritime info”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Love learning about the discovery of Lewes by the Dutch and seeing the display of interesting artifacts found on the sunken ship HMS Debraak. Fantastic how the museum was designed after original town hall in Hoorn in Holland.

1 Thank Ervin T
Canton, Ohio, United States
179 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 119 helpful votes
“not worth the time”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I didn't know what the museum was about. The person who was running it gave me background that was very interesting. Then she gave me her polictical views as to our current president and the opposing party. I was there for the museum not the debate. I did see one artifact that was cool to look at that a ships doctor would use to help prevent scurvy. I had a hard time drawing the connection with the Dutch and the town because as I mentioned above the political discussion took most of my time and my daughter was bored with the musuem by the time it was over.

1 Thank Kevin P

Been to Zwaanendael Museum? Share your experiences!