“An old favorite revisited”

Back Burner Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Back Burner Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 45 Restaurants in Hockessin
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Old Lancaster Pike
Elkton, Maryland
“An old favorite revisited”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My garden club visits public gardens and restaurants, and this month we went to The Back Burner in Hockessin, Delaware. Most of us began with the Pumpkin Mushroom Soup, a star here for as long as I can remember. My soup was flavorful but somewhat more gelatinous and thicker than I had remembered from the time when I lived in this town. My Kennett Square Mushrooms Back Burner Style were delicious, however - the Crab Imperial stuffing creamy and full of crabmeat. I was wishing I had been given more than the four small mushrooms and a little something else on the side though. My companions enjoyed their salads, sandwich wraps and burgers as well as their soup. I would definitely return for dinner to try their Cioppino, a great favorite of mine. We appreciated the fact that they gave us separate checks, since that deviated from their policy of one check for over eight guests (we were fifteen).

• Visited September 2013

“Great service and great food”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I went here for the first time recently and we couldn't have been more pleased. We will definitely be returning. I got the peppercorn steak and she got a filet. We both enjoyed our entrees greatly. We don't go out terribly often so I really like it to be good when we do. Our server was superb as well. She sold the menu without pressuring us and suggested reasonable things that we ended up getting (such as desert with coffee). Some reviewers mentioned the ambience and while it is fairly odd it did not IMO distract from a very positive experience. I can't wait to go back!

• Visited August 2013
Glassboro, New Jersey
“Things are much improved since my last visit. I'll be back!”
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Great crab cakes and bistro steak, not to mention the pumpkin mushroom soup, which is a fine tradition here. Service was attentive and timing fine. Specialty cocktails are fun for the season too.

• Visited June 2013
Hockessin, Delaware
“Consistently Poor Service”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have lived in Hockessin for 3 years and when we moved into the neighborhood, this was our go-to restaurant for special occasions as well as for drinks, as we love the friendly vibe at the bar. The gradual downhill slide in service (which regulars know has been accompanied by various departures, including bartenders and the head chef) can be summarized when we called the restaurant on a recent weekend to see if we could stop by for a quick drink at 4:00 p.m. (we were temporarily kid-free for a spontaneous happy hour) and were told to come on down. Upon arriving 5 minutes later, a manager informed us the restaurant did not "officially" open until 5 p.m. and that we should expect things to be "chaotic" until then. Yup, we were really going to cause a bunch of trouble, sipping two glasses of Sauvignon Blanc at the bar. I won't go into other unfortunate service issues, as this one sums each of them up.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Pam M
Boston, Massachusetts
“A bit disappointing . . .”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This restaurant looks very welcoming, inside and out, but there were some puzzling features. The upholstery in the booths has a nap (like velvet or corduroy): it was difficult to slide in and nearly impossible to slide out, against the grain. Our waitress was elderly and moved slowly (just like me), and I was sorry that she still had a job working on her feet. The crabmeat omelet tasted only of overcooked egg: the four-ingredient filling had no taste at all.

• Visited April 2013