“Consistently Poor Service”

Back Burner Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Back Burner Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 45 Restaurants in Hockessin
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Old Lancaster Pike
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have lived in Hockessin for 3 years and when we moved into the neighborhood, this was our go-to restaurant for special occasions as well as for drinks, as we love the friendly vibe at the bar. The gradual downhill slide in service (which regulars know has been accompanied by various departures, including bartenders and the head chef) can be summarized when we called the restaurant on a recent weekend to see if we could stop by for a quick drink at 4:00 p.m. (we were temporarily kid-free for a spontaneous happy hour) and were told to come on down. Upon arriving 5 minutes later, a manager informed us the restaurant did not "officially" open until 5 p.m. and that we should expect things to be "chaotic" until then. Yup, we were really going to cause a bunch of trouble, sipping two glasses of Sauvignon Blanc at the bar. I won't go into other unfortunate service issues, as this one sums each of them up.

2  Thank Pam M

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This restaurant looks very welcoming, inside and out, but there were some puzzling features. The upholstery in the booths has a nap (like velvet or corduroy): it was difficult to slide in and nearly impossible to slide out, against the grain. Our waitress was elderly and moved slowly (just like me), and I was sorry that she still had a job working on her feet. The crabmeat omelet tasted only of overcooked egg: the four-ingredient filling had no taste at all.

1  Thank Chaucerian
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Great food, drinks and excellent servers. I eat here several times a year - mostly for lunch. I have never been disappointed. The seasoned flat bread is like giant crackers to eat prior to the meal. It is brought to the table like rolls, but the flat bread is much less filling. Servers are very attentive and fill drinks almost mysteriously appearing. They always have a very good quiche special for lunch. I highly recommed this family owned well established Hockessin business.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and a friend have birthdays only a few days apart, so we went here to celebrate. We were seated in the "fireplace" room. This time of year, that's the place to be. Our server, Patty, was quite attentive and made us feel right at home. While not overwhelming, the menu has a very nice range of choices. For appetizers, I had the shrimp lejon, my wife and her friend had the warm goat cheese, her husband had the oysters-on-the-half shell special. We all thought they were quite good. Three of us had the ancho-crusted pork loin special--delicious. The other person had the John Dory fish special and "licked the platter clean". All portions were more than adequate. We took home enough of the pork loin for some very nice sandwiches. None of us had room for dessert! We will definitely return--probably for the next special occassion.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I had not been here for quite a while but friends had said it was good, so my friend and I decided to have lunch there. Earlier to day I had told someone about my plans and she mentioned a recent experience about a waitress who was disorganized and didn't serve them well.
As soon as we sat down I recognized our waitress as the one she had mentioned. She left us with our menu's and disappeared. I caught occasional glimpses of her pouring water, collecting checks, taking orders and once walking right by us with no recognition.
At that point I got up,went to the front and requested another server. Someone came immediately and served us with attention for the rest of the meal.
What really infuriated me was that the original waitress came over and asked what she had done. I told her it wasn't what she had done because she had done nothing. She stood there justifying her actions and said no one had ever complained before and didn't want to leave until I pointedly said, "Merry Christmas".
There is no excuse for this and I won't be going back.

1  Thank eclairewl